The gunman who opened fire on students at Umpqua Community College Thursday morning, killing at least 13 people and wounding 20 others, has been confirmed as dead.
Students at the scene described how the shooter asked people to stand and state their religions before he began firing, according to one eyewitness.
Officials confirmed that the shooter, a 20-year-old man who was a student at the school, had been shot dead by police.
Dozens of police officers and detectives are still on the scene at the Oregon college where the mass shooting took place while school was in session.
Shortly after the shooting, President Obama addressed the nation demanding stronger gun laws, saying that the country has become ‘numb’ to these mass shootings.
The shooter would have had to obtain the guns he had illegally an individual must be 21-years-old to purchase a gun in the state of Oregon.
Kortney Moore said she was in her writing glass when a bullet went through the window. Soon after, the shooter was inside the room.
Moore said he told people to get on the ground and then would have his victims stand up and state their religion before shooting them dead.
The 18-year-old laid on the ground next to some of the victims but managed to make it out alive.
Sgt. Dwes Hutson, of the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office, says officers responded around 10.40am local time to reports of a shooting at the Roseburg campus.
The station KATU reported, citing a school official, that gunfire erupted at Snyder Hall located in the English building on campus, which is comprised of about 16 auxiliary buildings.
Douglass County Commissioner Chris Boice later confirmed that the shooter, 20, was now dead.
Authorities said that there doesn’t appear to be a link with international terrorism.
CNN reported the shooter posted a message on a social media account that indicated the incident was premeditated, and that he picked the campus as a ‘soft target.’
Reports from a police scanner recorded a dispatcher saying he was ‘exchanging gunshots right now with a shooter’ who was located in Snyder Hall.
Brady Winder, 23, of Portland, was on campus when he described hearing a ‘thud.’
He told The News-Review he then then heard a barrage of gunfire and saw students fleeing ‘like ants.’
One neighbor, who lives across the street, recalled to CNN hearing what they thought were ‘fireworks’.
Police described how they exchanged fire with the gunman who went on the rampage at the Umpqua Community College in dramatic 911 dispatcher recordings.
The officers described how they shot at the attacker as he was standing next to a library as 35 people were ‘piled in the hall’ in fear of their lives.
The recordings capture the moment the gunman is shot dead when an officer says: ‘The suspect is down’.
The dispatcher describes the incident as a ‘major trauma’ and asks for all available ambulances to be sent to the scene.
Police can be heard saying there are 15 dead though that number has not been confirmed.
The recordings were made by emergency services in Roseburg, Oregon and made public by Broadcastify.
They show that police in the rural town try to keep their calm as the full scale of the horror becomes apparent.
According to Douglas County Police, the incident began in Snyder Hall, a large lecture theatre used by the science department.
In the recordings officer says: ‘Exchanging shots with him. He’s in a classroom on the, it’s gonna be the South East side of the hall.
The dispatcher says: ‘Gunshots with the male in the classroom on the South East side of Synder Hall’.
The officer says: ‘Unconfirmed report he’s got a long gun.’
The dispatcher says: ‘He’s next to the library, there’s about 35 people in the hall piled in on lockdown’.
Sirens blare in the background and after a pause another officer says: ‘The suspect is down’.
The dispatcher confirms and says: ‘Code 4, suspect is down’.
After a few minutes another officer says: ‘The suspect is down, we’ve got multiple gunshot wounds, we’re going to need multiple ambulances on scene’
Read more: dailymail.co.uk
- CNN Made to Report Trump’s ‘Wiretap’ Accusations May Have Been True
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- Bill O’Reilly Breaks His Silence: His Firing was a ‘Political and Financial Hit Job’ [Video]
- College Pays Professors Huge Settlement After ‘Ban of White People’ on Campus Threatened Their Lives [Video]
- Chelsea Handler: ‘Black White Supremacy’ is a Real Thing
- White Chick Claims Police Arresting Looters is ‘White Supremacy’
- MSNBC Host Claims Antifa is ‘on the Side of Angels’
- ROAD RAGE: This Guy Wants Everyone to Know What he Thinks of Obama and It’s Awesome [PHOTO]
- Here is How Miami Police are Handling the Hurricane Irma Looters…
- Crocodile ‘Whisperer’ Claimed the Creatures Wouldn’t Harm Him, Then He Went for a Swim
- AUNT FROM HELL: ‘The Law Said I HAD To Sue’
- Woman Arrested after Trying to Flush Newborn Baby Down the Toilet
- Her Orders were to Take Down Flight 93 on 9/11, But Lt. Heather “Lucky” Penney Was Flying an Unarmed F-16
- PERV ALERT: Group of Brooklyn Teens Grope Several Women
- The Lawyers Whom Allegedly Deleted Hillary’s E-mails are About to be…
- Defense Secretary James Mattis is Ready to Shoot Down North Korea’s Ballistic Missiles
- Obama’s Deputy Chief of Staff Reveals Michelle Was the Real Boss and if She Got Mad, Oh Boy…
- ALERT: Wasserman Schultz’ ex-IT Aide Now Faces 4-count Indictment