The gunman who opened fire on students at Umpqua Community College Thursday morning, killing at least 13 people and wounding 20 others, has been confirmed as dead.
Students at the scene described how the shooter asked people to stand and state their religions before he began firing, according to one eyewitness.
Officials confirmed that the shooter, a 20-year-old man who was a student at the school, had been shot dead by police.
Dozens of police officers and detectives are still on the scene at the Oregon college where the mass shooting took place while school was in session.
Shortly after the shooting, President Obama addressed the nation demanding stronger gun laws, saying that the country has become ‘numb’ to these mass shootings.
The shooter would have had to obtain the guns he had illegally an individual must be 21-years-old to purchase a gun in the state of Oregon.
Kortney Moore said she was in her writing glass when a bullet went through the window. Soon after, the shooter was inside the room.
Moore said he told people to get on the ground and then would have his victims stand up and state their religion before shooting them dead.
The 18-year-old laid on the ground next to some of the victims but managed to make it out alive.
Sgt. Dwes Hutson, of the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office, says officers responded around 10.40am local time to reports of a shooting at the Roseburg campus.
The station KATU reported, citing a school official, that gunfire erupted at Snyder Hall located in the English building on campus, which is comprised of about 16 auxiliary buildings.
Douglass County Commissioner Chris Boice later confirmed that the shooter, 20, was now dead.
Authorities said that there doesn’t appear to be a link with international terrorism.
CNN reported the shooter posted a message on a social media account that indicated the incident was premeditated, and that he picked the campus as a ‘soft target.’
Reports from a police scanner recorded a dispatcher saying he was ‘exchanging gunshots right now with a shooter’ who was located in Snyder Hall.
Brady Winder, 23, of Portland, was on campus when he described hearing a ‘thud.’
He told The News-Review he then then heard a barrage of gunfire and saw students fleeing ‘like ants.’
One neighbor, who lives across the street, recalled to CNN hearing what they thought were ‘fireworks’.
Police described how they exchanged fire with the gunman who went on the rampage at the Umpqua Community College in dramatic 911 dispatcher recordings.
The officers described how they shot at the attacker as he was standing next to a library as 35 people were ‘piled in the hall’ in fear of their lives.
The recordings capture the moment the gunman is shot dead when an officer says: ‘The suspect is down’.
The dispatcher describes the incident as a ‘major trauma’ and asks for all available ambulances to be sent to the scene.
Police can be heard saying there are 15 dead though that number has not been confirmed.
The recordings were made by emergency services in Roseburg, Oregon and made public by Broadcastify.
They show that police in the rural town try to keep their calm as the full scale of the horror becomes apparent.
According to Douglas County Police, the incident began in Snyder Hall, a large lecture theatre used by the science department.
In the recordings officer says: ‘Exchanging shots with him. He’s in a classroom on the, it’s gonna be the South East side of the hall.
The dispatcher says: ‘Gunshots with the male in the classroom on the South East side of Synder Hall’.
The officer says: ‘Unconfirmed report he’s got a long gun.’
The dispatcher says: ‘He’s next to the library, there’s about 35 people in the hall piled in on lockdown’.
Sirens blare in the background and after a pause another officer says: ‘The suspect is down’.
The dispatcher confirms and says: ‘Code 4, suspect is down’.
After a few minutes another officer says: ‘The suspect is down, we’ve got multiple gunshot wounds, we’re going to need multiple ambulances on scene’
Read more: dailymail.co.uk
- REPORT: Hillary Got ‘PHYSICALLY VIOLENT’ After Losing–ATTACKED Staff and Had to be ‘Restrained’
- Informant on Clinton, Russia Uranium Deal has been Identified
- Skinny Dipping Biden: Female Secret Service Agents Hate Being Assigned to Biden, But Hillary is Worse
- VIDEO: Hillary Cries Hysterically After Losing–Blames Comey & Obama
- Self-Defense When Bugging Out: 7 Tips to Keep In Mind
- Bill Clinton Finally Being Targeted for His Sexual Abuse to Women [WATCH]
- 9yr-Old Girl Has Some Mad Crazy Handgun Skills [Video]
- WATCH: Drake Defends Female Fans After Man Gropes Them During Concert
- Texas Shooting: Two Heroes Who Chased Down Shooter Reveal What Happened
- Father With a Gun: Daughter Saved by Her Dad After Gang Tries to…
- A TASTE OF THEIR OWN MEDICINE: Syrian Rebels Release a Video of Them Shooting Islamic State Militants
- Senator Al Fraken Caught Sexually Harassing a Model
- New Muslim Barbie Comes Dressed in Hijab and Hatred Towards President Trump
- Gun Yoga, Is It a Real Thing? [WATCH]
- THE KILL LIST: Islamic State has Released List of American Cities They Plan on Attacking
- TERRIFYING: Family Trapped in Their Vehicle as LIONS Fight Over Carcass Under the WHEEL
- Savage: Dude Explains Feminism in 2017, ‘You’re a Man. Everything a Man Does is…’ [Video]
- WATCH: Judge Jeanine Rips Apart Michael Moore