British troops helping train Kurdish forces in Iraq believed the defeat of Islamic State is imminent, it was reported last night.
A Special Forces Colonel claimed ISIS are ‘fragile’ and in a ‘poor position’ after suffering devastating losses of both land and militant fighters.
The terror group has apparently been weakened thanks to the training Kurdish soldiers have received from the UK special forces and the continuing air strikes.
‘The reality is that there is a fragility,’ one British Colonel, who cannot be named, reportedly toldThe Sun’s David Willetts.
‘They are fragile and in a poor position and the day is coming when the house of cards will fall.’
Another British officer, Brigadier James Learmont, who is also based in the country, reportedly added: ‘The tide of the battle is turning against IS. That aura of invincibility is not there now.’
He explained that people could finally see that ISIS were beatable and ‘it’s just a question of time’.
British soldiers returned to Iraq at the end of last year to train Kurdish fighters in using heavy weapons as the running battles were intensifying.
It came five years after the last combat troops left Iraq following the invasion which toppled former dictator Saddam Hussein.
Other western countries including the United States have also been training Kurdish peshmerga forces.
One Kurdish fighter claimed not to have had ‘a clue’ before being trained by British soldiers, but said they were now ready to fight for their homeland.
Militant numbers are now said to have fallen by 8,000 in Iraq, from 18,000.
ISIS first came to prominence last year when they took over the Iraqi city of Mosul, establishing themselves as a major force crossing the border between Iraq and Syria.
The group quickly achieved worldwide notoriety by beheading a number of Western hostages and publishing grisly videos of the killings carried out by ‘Jihadi John’, a British terrorist later revealed to be Mohammed Emwazi, 27, from west London.
Read more: dailymail.co.uk
- A Furious Mike Pence Takes on McCain After Senator Saved Obamacare [WATCH]
- Crocodile ‘Whisperer’ Claimed the Creatures Wouldn’t Harm Him, Then He Went for a Swim
- Obama’s Deputy Chief of Staff Reveals Michelle Was the Real Boss and if She Got Mad, Oh Boy…
- Seattle Seahawks Player Claims Cops ‘Racially Profiled’ Him — Cops Respond With All the Details He Omitted
- Watch: Hipsters Believe America Should Model Economy Like Venezuela’s to Have Income Equality
- For Those of You Who Thought Trump Bankrupted the Secret Service, Here is the Real Story…
- Japan Prepares for Mass Evacuation as Kim Jong-un Becomes More Unhinged
- Kimg Jong-un Replies to Trump: Plans to “Tame” the President with “Fire”
- Her Orders were to Take Down Flight 93 on 9/11, But Lt. Heather “Lucky” Penney Was Flying an Unarmed F-16
- DeVos to End Obama-era Campus Sexual Assault Policy — Plans to…
- LMAO: Washington Post is Turning Its Back on Elizabeth Warren, Label Her as ‘GRANDSTANDING PHONY’
- Trump UN Speech: ‘Rocket Man’ Kim Jong Un is on ‘suicide mission’ [WATCH]
- The Female Celebrities Go on Attack: Anyone Who is a Trump Supporter, Especially Women, Should…
- NO LOVE FOR TRUMP: Glenn Beck Calls Trump’s Wife a Lesbian Porn Star in Facebook Rant
- Report: What Cops Have Discovered in Death of Eric Bolling’s Son
- BYE-BYE: UC Berkeley Loses Major Donor, Says It’s ‘For My Safety’
- Hillary Clinton is ‘Done With Being a Candidate’
- WATCH: US Open Champion Sloane Stephens When Asked if She has New ‘Hunger’ to Win More Games Gives Hilarious Answer — Endorses Capitalism