British troops helping train Kurdish forces in Iraq believed the defeat of Islamic State is imminent, it was reported last night.
A Special Forces Colonel claimed ISIS are ‘fragile’ and in a ‘poor position’ after suffering devastating losses of both land and militant fighters.
The terror group has apparently been weakened thanks to the training Kurdish soldiers have received from the UK special forces and the continuing air strikes.
‘The reality is that there is a fragility,’ one British Colonel, who cannot be named, reportedly toldThe Sun’s David Willetts.
‘They are fragile and in a poor position and the day is coming when the house of cards will fall.’
Another British officer, Brigadier James Learmont, who is also based in the country, reportedly added: ‘The tide of the battle is turning against IS. That aura of invincibility is not there now.’
He explained that people could finally see that ISIS were beatable and ‘it’s just a question of time’.
British soldiers returned to Iraq at the end of last year to train Kurdish fighters in using heavy weapons as the running battles were intensifying.
It came five years after the last combat troops left Iraq following the invasion which toppled former dictator Saddam Hussein.
Other western countries including the United States have also been training Kurdish peshmerga forces.
One Kurdish fighter claimed not to have had ‘a clue’ before being trained by British soldiers, but said they were now ready to fight for their homeland.
Militant numbers are now said to have fallen by 8,000 in Iraq, from 18,000.
ISIS first came to prominence last year when they took over the Iraqi city of Mosul, establishing themselves as a major force crossing the border between Iraq and Syria.
The group quickly achieved worldwide notoriety by beheading a number of Western hostages and publishing grisly videos of the killings carried out by ‘Jihadi John’, a British terrorist later revealed to be Mohammed Emwazi, 27, from west London.
Read more: dailymail.co.uk
- Hijab-Wearing Woman Becomes New Hair Model for L’Oreal. We Aren’t Joking. [Watch]
- Watch: Security Footage Captures Dramatic Shoot-Out Between Cops and Armed Robbers
- Melania Trump Cuts Pork from First Lady Payroll After Michelle Obama’s Extensive Spending
- Report: DHS to File Criminal Charges Against Sanctuary City Politicians
- Newsweek: ‘Hillary Clinton could still become president if Russia probe finds conspiracy evidence’
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- Psychologist Answers Journalist’s Question ‘Why should your right to freedom of speech trump a trans person’s right not to be offended?’ — Leaves Her Speechless [Watch]
- New Details: Thirteen Children Living in ‘House of Horrors’ Were Only Allowed to Shower Twice a Year, Among Other Cruel Treatment
- ICE to Crack Down on California the Sanctuary State
- Actors Blame Trump for Hawaii False Alarm — Jim Carrey “We are headed for suffering beyond all imagination.”
- Allah Adios: Muslim Migrants Finally Get Deported from US Under Trump Admin
- Insane! Man Faces Jail Time for ‘Disturbing’ Manatees by Throwing Bucket of…
- Sessions Has HARSH Message for ‘Dreamers’ — Will Send Them CRYING Back to Mexico
- Rand Paul: Donald Trump was ‘Large Financial Backer’ of Haiti Mission Trips When he Was Private Citizen [Watch]
- Watch: Chelsea Manning is Running for Senate and the Campaign Ad Will Make You Cry with Laughter
- Parents Shackled Thirteen Children to Bed — Starving Them and Forcing to Recite the Bible