Salma Hayek has made her Facebook and Twitter debut – and taken her first selfie – while describing the “peaceful revolution” on social media that has enabled women to tackle problems such as age and body image stereotyping in advertising.
Hayek used her Ad Week Europe session with senior Facebook executive Nicola Mendelsohn to announce her debut on the social network, with her arrival on Instagram and Twitter to follow on Tuesday.
“I’m a rebel and I don’t want to do what everyone else does,” she said, speaking to about 300 attendees at the session held at St James’s Church in Piccadilly. “I did resist [social media]. I have this idea that I [like to be personally] present, I’m not always calling, texting. When I am with you, I am with you. And I feel sometimes people are not so present because of social media.”
Hayek said it her belated launch on social media was a thank you to fans who look for her on multimedia channels.
“You cannot deny it is a very important part of today,” she said.
Hayek said that the rise of social media has given consumers a voice which has enabled a “peaceful revolution”.
“This is the strength of technology, everybody gets to have a voice,” she said. “People have regained some power, there is a lot of hope in that. I feel many times people in power, in big corporations, dictate which way we go. It is like a peaceful revolution.”
Responding to a question from the floor, the Frida actor said that people power has enabled the stereotypes of women used by the advertising and marketing industry to be challenged.
“I think [advertisers and agencies] are making an effort [to change female representation] but not because they are saints,” she said. “It is beginning to dawn on them, and probably social media has something to do with it … that they are beginning to realise many things.
“First, women in their 50s have a lot more of the means to buy things, it is not like before [when advertising] people said OK if you are 50 you are finished. You are supposed to be ugly not work and stay at home, you are done. No, that isn’t happening any more. You sort of surrendered to what they told you you were supposed to be. I am hot and I am smart.”
Read more: theguardian.com
- Marine Dakota Meyer Demolishes Transgender Navy SEALS Story…
- 20yr-Old Chick Draws Gun on Man Who Ran Over Her Family Members at Funeral
- Dude Waves Communist Flag at Trump Rally — Watch What Happens to Him Next
- Alert: 18 ‘ISIS Fighters’ Have Been Executed in Libya
- Imran Awan Allegedly Steals House Democrats’ Laptops, is Arrested; DWS Fights With Capitol Police — This is Big
- Hollywood Freaks After Trump Declares No Transgendered People to Serve in Military: ‘You just pissed off the wrong community.’
- Criminal Complaint to be Filed Against Animal Rights Activists Who Threatened Huntress, Leading to Her Suicide
- Illegal Immigrant in New York Charged with Raping 12yr-Old Girl More than Once
- Chris Hemsworth Thinks a Woman Should be the New Bond…
- Gang of 4 Stalk 50yr-Old Woman, ‘Forced Her to Perform Oral Sex at Gunpoint’ [Video]
- ALERT: All US Army M1911 Handguns to be Transferred to Civilian Marksmanship Program in new Bill
- Watch: Revolver or Semi-Auto for a Conceal Carry Weapon?
- Dude Goes on Streaking Rampage After Cutting Off His Penis While High on Drugs [Video]
- Michelle Obama Claims People Don’t Like Her Because of ‘Her Skin Color’
- Berkeley Middle School Teacher Yvette Felarca Arrested For Assault, Rioting At ‘Anti-Fascist’ Protest
- BREAKING: DC Transit Officer Involved with ISIS, Helped Them Get… UPDATE
- Busted: Chick Tries Framing Cop for Sexual Harassment, Then His Body-Cam Footage was Released
- Dear Parents: Would You Enroll Your Kids in a School That Teaches Them to Shoot, Gut and Cook Wild Animals?