Salma Hayek has made her Facebook and Twitter debut – and taken her first selfie – while describing the “peaceful revolution” on social media that has enabled women to tackle problems such as age and body image stereotyping in advertising.
Hayek used her Ad Week Europe session with senior Facebook executive Nicola Mendelsohn to announce her debut on the social network, with her arrival on Instagram and Twitter to follow on Tuesday.
“I’m a rebel and I don’t want to do what everyone else does,” she said, speaking to about 300 attendees at the session held at St James’s Church in Piccadilly. “I did resist [social media]. I have this idea that I [like to be personally] present, I’m not always calling, texting. When I am with you, I am with you. And I feel sometimes people are not so present because of social media.”
Hayek said it her belated launch on social media was a thank you to fans who look for her on multimedia channels.
“You cannot deny it is a very important part of today,” she said.
Hayek said that the rise of social media has given consumers a voice which has enabled a “peaceful revolution”.
“This is the strength of technology, everybody gets to have a voice,” she said. “People have regained some power, there is a lot of hope in that. I feel many times people in power, in big corporations, dictate which way we go. It is like a peaceful revolution.”
Responding to a question from the floor, the Frida actor said that people power has enabled the stereotypes of women used by the advertising and marketing industry to be challenged.
“I think [advertisers and agencies] are making an effort [to change female representation] but not because they are saints,” she said. “It is beginning to dawn on them, and probably social media has something to do with it … that they are beginning to realise many things.
“First, women in their 50s have a lot more of the means to buy things, it is not like before [when advertising] people said OK if you are 50 you are finished. You are supposed to be ugly not work and stay at home, you are done. No, that isn’t happening any more. You sort of surrendered to what they told you you were supposed to be. I am hot and I am smart.”
Read more: theguardian.com
- REPORT: Hillary Got ‘PHYSICALLY VIOLENT’ After Losing–ATTACKED Staff and Had to be ‘Restrained’
- Skinny Dipping Biden: Female Secret Service Agents Hate Being Assigned to Biden, But Hillary is Worse
- VIDEO: Hillary Cries Hysterically After Losing–Blames Comey & Obama
- Informant on Clinton, Russia Uranium Deal has been Identified
- Bill Clinton Finally Being Targeted for His Sexual Abuse to Women [WATCH]
- 9yr-Old Girl Has Some Mad Crazy Handgun Skills [Video]
- WATCH: Drake Defends Female Fans After Man Gropes Them During Concert
- Texas Shooting: Two Heroes Who Chased Down Shooter Reveal What Happened
- Father With a Gun: Daughter Saved by Her Dad After Gang Tries to…
- THE KILL LIST: Islamic State has Released List of American Cities They Plan on Attacking
- TERRIFYING: Family Trapped in Their Vehicle as LIONS Fight Over Carcass Under the WHEEL
- Savage: Dude Explains Feminism in 2017, ‘You’re a Man. Everything a Man Does is…’ [Video]
- WATCH: Judge Jeanine Rips Apart Michael Moore
- Watch: When Americans ‘Steal’ Illegal Immigrants’ Job
- Dear Idiot NYT Writer: Here are THREE Provable Instances of Americans Protecting Their Liberty with Guns
- Father Abandons Wife & 7 Kids to Live as a 6yr-Old Girl [Video]
- Prostitute Shoots Man in the Head Because He Didn’t Know How to…
- Holy Sh*t: Kurdish Female Fighter Narrowly Escapes Sniper Shot