Al-Qaeda has gained more ground amidst the chaos in Yemen — this time in second city Aden — but for now Saudi Arabia is turning a blind eye to its longtime enemy, experts say.
Supported by a Saudi-led military coalition, forces loyal to Yemen’s exiled government retook Aden last month from Iran-backed Huthi rebels who have seized large parts of the country including the capital Sanaa.
As authorities work to reassert control over Aden, the capital of formerly independent South Yemen, Al-Qaeda has moved into the gap.
The jihadist group’s militants, already in control of other parts of southern Yemen, are reported to have taken up positions in several strategic parts of the city.
But experts say that while Saudi Arabia may turn eventually to tackling Al-Qaeda in its southern neighbour, Riyadh’s focus now is purely on stopping the Huthis.
“I don’t think Saudi Arabia’s main priority in Yemen is Al-Qaeda… The Huthis are more of a high priority,” said Ibrahim Fraihat, a senior fellow at the Brookings Doha Center.
“That’s probably another reason why we saw Al-Qaeda flourishing” in the south, he said.
The coalition launched its campaign in March as the Huthis advanced on Aden, forcing President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi to flee to Riyadh.
In the ensuing chaos, Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), the powerful local branch of the jihadist group, took control of areas including Mukalla, capital of the southeastern province of Hadramawt.
– Key Aden buildings seized –
The militants have since been imposing Islamic sharia law in the city and holding military drills in Hadramawt, ancestral homeland of Al-Qaeda founder Osama bin Laden’s family.
Formed by a merger of the Yemeni and Saudi branches of Al-Qaeda, AQAP is considered the group’s most dangerous branch and was behind several plots against Western targets, including this year’s deadly attack on French magazine Charlie Hebdo.
While US drones continue to target AQAP militants in Hadramawt, Saudi-led coalition warplanes have so far steered clear of the province.
Read more: Yahoo News
- After Democrat Attacks Trump, Soldier’s Widow Releases Audio of Phone Call [WATCH]
- Man Who Identifies as a Woman Heads to Trial for Sexually Assaulting Little Girl in Bathroom
- World’s Longest Shot Takes 10 Seconds to Wipe Out Target, an ISIS Militant
- WATCH: Slew of Celebrities Ask Americans to ‘Reject’ the NRA, Conceal Carry Do to…
- ICE Reveals Illegal Alien May Have Caused Devastating California Fires
- Democrat Behind Slain Soldier Controversy, ‘I’m a Rockstar Now’ [VIDEO]
- NBC Gun “Expert” Caught LYING — Was This An Intentional Move To Push Gun Control?
- Melania Trump Cuts Pork from First Lady Payroll After Michelle Obama’s Extensive Spending
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- Watch: Jeff Sessions Goes Bonkers on Sen. Al Franken Over Russia Collusion
- Bro Swims Out to GREAT WHITE SHARK…Watch What Happens
- WATCH: ‘Palestinian Steve Irwin’ Takes on Giant Snake in Hilarious Video
- Actress Jessica Chastain: Hollywood Rallies Against Trump, But Ignores ‘Sexual Predators In Our Offices’
- Dude Waves Communist Flag at Trump Rally — Watch What Happens to Him Next
- ‘Taliban’ Hostages Return Home Revealing Gruesome Details — Reason Why They Were in Afghanistan Still Suspicious [Video]
- Authorities Confirm: 4 Times More People Killed with a Blade Than a Rifle
- Trump Takes Aim at Obama’s Iran Nuclear Deal, Preparing to…
- WATCH: Burglar is BUSTED by Dallas Police, Homeowner Compiles the CCTV Footage in HILARIOUS Remix