Survivors of the harrowing attack in Burkina Faso have described how jihadis targeted Westerners by executing those who looked to be European as they lay injured after being gunned down.
At least one American and six Canadians, as well as French, Dutch and Swiss nationals are among the 29 people from 18 different countries killed during the 15-hour terror attack by Al-Qaeda militants.
Burkinabe special forces, assisted by 30 French special forces, broke the lengthy siege last night by storming the Splendid Hotel in Ouagadougou. Three of the gunmen were killed after a firefight before the hotel was re-captured by special forces.
One survivor, a Slovenian anthropologist, said: ‘We heard shots, grenades, detonations. It was echoing and extremely loud. It went on for a long time.
‘They kept coming back and forth into Cappuccino [Cafe]. You’d think it was over, then they’d come back and shoot more people. They would come back and see if the white people were moving and then they would shoot them again.’
Another witness, Yannick Sawadogo, said: ‘It was horrible… there was blood everywhere. They were firing at people at close range. They were walking around people and firing at people who were not dead.’
And Robert Sangare, the head of Yalgado Ouedraogo hospital last night said a European woman being treated at the hospital told him the attackers appeared to target white people.
Today it emerged that a 67-year-old Dutch national was among those killed, with the country’s foreign minister Bert Koenders calling it ‘painful and bitter that somebody who wanted to contribute to the development of the country has fallen victim to such a deed’.
The Ukrainian Foreign Ministry also said four members of a Ukrainian family were among those killed. The the woman and her husband owned the cafe where at least 10 people, including their 9-year-old daughter, died before the attackers set the building ablaze and moved on to the nearby hotel.
Burkina Faso is beginning three days of national mourning. In a message broadcast to the nation, President Roch Marc Christian Kabore said the people of Burkina Faso must unite in the fight against terrorism.
He also announced that security forces will be stepping up security checks at entrances to the capital, Ouagadougou, and other major towns, as well as along the country’s borders.
American missionary Mike Riddering, who worked with the domestic violence organization Sheltering Wings, is among the 29 dead. He was identified by his wife, his brother, Jeff Riddering, told NBC News.
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said that six Canadians also died in the attack, according to the National Post.
‘On behalf of all Canadians, we offer our deepest condolences to the families, friends and colleagues of all those killed and a speedy recovery to all those injured. We are deeply saddened by these senseless acts of violence on innocent civilians,” he said in a statement.
French newspaper Le Monde has reported that at least two of the victims are French.
Read more: Daily Mail
- Policewoman Shoots Down 4 Jihadis by Herself — Video Footage Revealed
- Chick Lectures Crowd of White Women: ‘I Believe White People Are Born Into Not Being Human’ [Video]
- NBA Star Charles Barkley Disses Confederate Statue Obsession — Tells Black Community to Focus on These 3 Things Instead
- Arizona Court Rules Guns are Loaded, Even When Empty…
- ALERT: Wasserman Schultz’ ex-IT Aide Now Faces 4-count Indictment
- Artist Projects 3 Messages on Trump Hotel: “The President of the United States is a Known Racist and Nazi Sympathizer”
- If Trump is Responsible for Death at Charlottesville, Then Isn’t Obama Responsible for these 5 Murders?
- Apparently Saint and Little Native American Boy Statue is White Supremacy…
- Steve Bannon Is Out From White House Position — Was He Fired?
- Sharia Law Is Coming To A Neighborhood Near You
- Krauthammer: If You Take Up Arms Against The United States You Have Forfeited Your Rights
- Antifa Protester in Virginia Attacked Journalist — Caused Concussion [Video]
- CBS Discovers the Brutal Reality of Gun Laws During Interview
- Democrat Steve Cohen is Introducing Impeachment Articles for President Trump Over Charlottesville
- Watch: President Trump Issues New Threat to North Korea, ‘Things Will Happen to Them Like They Never Thought Possible’
- 9yr-Old Girl Has Some Mad Crazy Handgun Skills [Video]
- Rosie O’Donnell Apologizes to Tyrant Kim Jong-un for President Trump’s Behavior… [VIDEO]
- Cars Plow Through Crowd in Virginia During Protest Clash, Casualty and Injuries Reported