SULAIMANIYA, Iraq — A 27-year-old American who left Virginia to fight for the Islamic State was captured near the northern Iraqi city of Sinjar early Monday morning, according to Kurdish and American officials.
The American, identified as Mohammed Jamal Amin, was captured at a front-line position near Sinjar, which Kurdish forces retook from the Islamic State, also known as ISIS or ISIL, in November, according to a senior official in the Kurdish fighting forces known as the pesh merga. The official spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the news media.
The official said that Mr. Amin was a United States citizen from Virginia, the son of a Palestinian father and an Iraqi mother. He approached Kurdish positions and was shot at before being taken into custody, the official said, adding that Mr. Amin apparently surrendered.
A senior American military official confirmed that Mr. Amin had been captured.
The Associated Press attributed confirmation of Mr. Amin’s surrender to Maj. Gen. Feisal Helkani, a Kurdish pesh merga commander.
Read more: NY Times
- CNN Reporter Claims School Shooting Survivor Colton Haab is a Liar
- Hundreds of Teachers Sign Up for Concealed Carry Class
- Florida’s ‘Teacher of the Year’ Points the Finger at Parents for Mass Shooting Epidemic — ‘Parents, it’s time to step up!’
- Thinking Past Step 1: Other Policy Changes to Improve School Security
- Nurse Caught on Camera Laughing as WWII Vet Dies Gasping for Breath
- Report: Father ‘Chained His Twin Daughters in Home, Raped Them and Fathered Their Children’
- Parkland High School Student Blames Media for Politicizing the School Shooting, Instead of Focusing on Students Who Lost Their Lives
- Gun Controllers Post ‘Kill the NRA’ Billboard — Organization Behind it Will Shock You
- VIDEO: Texas High School Plans on Suspending Students Protesting Gun Rights
- BLUBBER BUTT MOORE: #MichaelMoore Demands America to ‘Disarm the Police’
- Watch: Mother and Daughter Defeat Armed Robber Because They Carry a Gun
- House Passes “Concealed Carry Reciprocity” Bill
- Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg Still Believes ‘Macho Atmosphere’ & ‘Sexism’ is Why Hillary Clinton Lost
- Artist Who Painted Obama’s Portrait LOVES to Paint White Women Being Beheaded
- Gun-Control Fact Sheet: If There are Any Facts to Refute the Gun-Control Argument, It’s These
- POLL: Conservatives Push to Have Mitch McConnell Resign, Do You Agree With Them?
- Nikolas Cruz to Plead GUILTY for Mass Shooting, Will He Avoid Death Penalty?
- Hey Ladies: Here is a List of Compact 9mm Concealed Carry Guns that Cost Less Than $600