The Confederate flag is no longer flying at the State House, the first time in 54 years some version of that banner hasn’t been hoisted above the capitol.
A South Carolina Department of Public Safety honor guard drew down the banner at 10:09 a.m. Friday in a subdued but dignified ceremony. It was then taken to the Confederate Relic Room, a museum about a mile from the State House on Gervais Street.
As it came down, some members of the crowd could be heard shouting “bye bye flag” and signing “We Shall Overcome.”
Moments after the flag was removed, President Barack Obama tweeted, “South Carolina taking down the Confederate flag- a signal of good will and healing, and a meaningful step towards a better future.”
The area around the monument where the flag had flown had been roped off and barricaded the previous day, and streets around the capitol were closed as the ceremony took place.
Thousands of people, both for and against the flag, lined the area around the capitol to get a glimpse of this moment in history. Some were dressed in full Confederate soldier regalia; one woman wore a 19-century black dress in mourning. Many held signs supporting the flag’s takedown, and waved American flags as the standard was removed.
Read more: wltx.com
- Trump Attacks Everyone in Morning Twitter Rant
- Watch: Elderly Man Shoots Tires of AT&T Truck — Is This Wrong?
- ALERT: All US Army M1911 Handguns to be Transferred to Civilian Marksmanship Program in new Bill
- Demonic: Group of Teens Laugh and Mock Disabled Man Drowning in Pond, Film the Whole Incident
- If You Wear a Miniskirt in Saudi Arabia, Here is What Happens…
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- Liberal Journalist Calls Sarah Huckabee Sanders a ‘Butch Queen’
- Crocodile Returns Body of Man it Killed After Witch Doctor ‘Summoned It’ [Video]
- Watch: Revolver or Semi-Auto for a Conceal Carry Weapon?
- Report Reveals Officer Mohamed Noor was a ‘Diversity’ Hire for Police Station
- Python Swallows Deer Whole in Seconds in Jaw Dropping Video, Or So We Think…
- White House Communications Director Anthony Scaramucci is a Staunch Gun Control Supporter
- Sean Spicer is Out: Quits Job as Press Secretary and is Replaced by…
- Bill de Blasio Snubbed at Funeral for Slain Female NYPD Officer
- Berkeley Middle School Teacher Yvette Felarca Arrested For Assault, Rioting At ‘Anti-Fascist’ Protest
- Fake Mud Jeans Now Exist for Men Who are too Afraid to Get Dirty — Guess How Much They Cost
- Haitian Official Who Exposed the Clinton Foundation is Found With Gun-Shot to Head
- ANTIFA Protester Hits MAGA Man, Then All Hell Breaks Loose [Video]