The Confederate flag is no longer flying at the State House, the first time in 54 years some version of that banner hasn’t been hoisted above the capitol.
A South Carolina Department of Public Safety honor guard drew down the banner at 10:09 a.m. Friday in a subdued but dignified ceremony. It was then taken to the Confederate Relic Room, a museum about a mile from the State House on Gervais Street.
As it came down, some members of the crowd could be heard shouting “bye bye flag” and signing “We Shall Overcome.”
Moments after the flag was removed, President Barack Obama tweeted, “South Carolina taking down the Confederate flag- a signal of good will and healing, and a meaningful step towards a better future.”
The area around the monument where the flag had flown had been roped off and barricaded the previous day, and streets around the capitol were closed as the ceremony took place.
Thousands of people, both for and against the flag, lined the area around the capitol to get a glimpse of this moment in history. Some were dressed in full Confederate soldier regalia; one woman wore a 19-century black dress in mourning. Many held signs supporting the flag’s takedown, and waved American flags as the standard was removed.
Read more: wltx.com
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- Defense Secretary James Mattis is Ready to Shoot Down North Korea’s Ballistic Missiles
- Crocodile ‘Whisperer’ Claimed the Creatures Wouldn’t Harm Him, Then He Went for a Swim
- Trump UN Speech: ‘Rocket Man’ Kim Jong Un is on ‘suicide mission’ [WATCH]
- ISIS on the Verge of Losing its ‘Capital’
- Columbus Day Now has a New Racially Acceptable Name in Los Angeles, Explorer to be Erased from History…
- MSNBC Host Claims Antifa is ‘on the Side of Angels’
- CNN Made to Report Trump’s ‘Wiretap’ Accusations May Have Been True
- WATCH: US Open Champion Sloane Stephens When Asked if She has New ‘Hunger’ to Win More Games Gives Hilarious Answer — Endorses Capitalism
- College Pays Professors Huge Settlement After ‘Ban of White People’ on Campus Threatened Their Lives [Video]
- ALERT: Bomb Threat Reported for Central London Tube Trains
- Photo Gallery
- BARBARIC: Two White Teenagers Beat Black Friend Hold her Down to Get Raped
- Obama’s Deputy Chief of Staff Reveals Michelle Was the Real Boss and if She Got Mad, Oh Boy…
- Taking Up Arms: NJ Couple Brutally Beaten and Sexually Assaulted Become Gun Owners
- Maxine Waters: ‘I think too much credit is given to presidents about how the markets are working…’
- The Lawyers Whom Allegedly Deleted Hillary’s E-mails are About to be…
- Syrians React to Trump’s Bombing of Airbase… LOVE What the President Did