Federal investigators have discovered writings by the Chattanooga gunman in which he talked about his dissatisfaction with the US war on terror and expressed other anti-American sentiments, it was revealed today.
Two sources familiar with the case, including a law enforcement official, said some of Mohammad Abdulazeez’s writings are more than a year old and are consistent with a suicidal mindset, reported CNN.
While Abdulazeez sometimes expressed misgivings about US policy in the Mideast, his feelings didn’t seem extreme and there was no indication he was involved with terrorist groups while in Jordan, a family representative said. There was also no immediate explanation for why he targeted military sites in the attack.
Earlier today, the family of the Chattanooga shooter revealed that in his personal diary, the 24-year-old Kuwait-born man who was gunned down by police after he shot and killed five service members in Tennessee had laid out his struggles with suicidal thoughts, financial woes and legal troubles related to his drug addiction.
The gunman’s journal, according to the Abdulazeez family spokesman speaking exclusively to ABC News, paints a portrait of a troubled youth who wrote about committing suicide and ‘becoming a martyr’ as far back as 2013, around the time when he was fired from his job because of his addiction to prescription pills and illegal narcotics.
The family representative said the electrical engineering student was addicted to sleeping pills, painkillers, opioids, marijuana, as well as alcohol.
In his diary, according to the spokesperson, Abdulazeez wrote about how he struggled to work a 12-hour night shift and had to take pills so he could fall asleep during the day.
Abdulazeez was also considering filing for bankruptcy because he was heavily in debt.
On April 20, the 24-year-old Kuwaiti national was arrested on a DUI charge.
The family representative said Abdulazeez was first treated by a child psychiatrist for depression when he was 12 or 13 years old.
The 24-year-old also fought drug and alcohol abuse, spending several months in Jordan last year to help clean himself up.
The representative said relatives of Abdulazeez believe those personal struggles are at the heart of last week’s killings at a pair of military sites in Chattanooga.
‘They do not know of anything else to explain it,’ said the representative Sunday on condition of anonymity.
The claim fits a pattern of behavior by Abdulazeez that includes a drunken driving arrest earlier this year and the loss of a job over a failed drug test.
Several years ago, relatives tried to have Abdulazeez admitted to an in-patient program for drug and alcohol abuse but a health insurer refused to approve the expense, said the representative.
Two days before the deadly shootings in Chattanooga, Abdulazeez rented a silver Mustang convertible, arrived at a local mosque and took a friend on a joy ride that lasted until 3am.
‘He bragged about [the car], and was showing it off to friends about how fast it would go,’ the Abdulazeez family spokesperson said Sunday.
Read more: dailymail.co.uk
- MSNBC Host Claims Antifa is ‘on the Side of Angels’
- College Pays Professors Huge Settlement After ‘Ban of White People’ on Campus Threatened Their Lives [Video]
- CNN Made to Report Trump’s ‘Wiretap’ Accusations May Have Been True
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- Kim Jong-un Needs to be Terrified of Sec Def Mattis’ First Course of Action After NK Recent Missile Launch
- Bill O’Reilly Breaks His Silence: His Firing was a ‘Political and Financial Hit Job’ [Video]
- White Chick Claims Police Arresting Looters is ‘White Supremacy’
- Chelsea Handler: ‘Black White Supremacy’ is a Real Thing
- ROAD RAGE: This Guy Wants Everyone to Know What he Thinks of Obama and It’s Awesome [PHOTO]
- Here is How Miami Police are Handling the Hurricane Irma Looters…
- WATCH: Leaked Footage Shows Clintons Celebrating Election ‘Victory’… a Little Too Early [VIRAL VIDEO]
- Watch: Bannon Breaks His Silence After Leaving the White House — Throws Punches Left & Right
- ANTIFA Protester Hits MAGA Man, Then All Hell Breaks Loose [Video]
- ANTIFA: Violence is Necessary
- When You’re Trying to Riot and Your Mom Shows Up [WATCH]
- AUNT FROM HELL: ‘The Law Said I HAD To Sue’
- Woman Arrested after Trying to Flush Newborn Baby Down the Toilet
- Her Orders were to Take Down Flight 93 on 9/11, But Lt. Heather “Lucky” Penney Was Flying an Unarmed F-16