Federal investigators have discovered writings by the Chattanooga gunman in which he talked about his dissatisfaction with the US war on terror and expressed other anti-American sentiments, it was revealed today.
Two sources familiar with the case, including a law enforcement official, said some of Mohammad Abdulazeez’s writings are more than a year old and are consistent with a suicidal mindset, reported CNN.
While Abdulazeez sometimes expressed misgivings about US policy in the Mideast, his feelings didn’t seem extreme and there was no indication he was involved with terrorist groups while in Jordan, a family representative said. There was also no immediate explanation for why he targeted military sites in the attack.
Earlier today, the family of the Chattanooga shooter revealed that in his personal diary, the 24-year-old Kuwait-born man who was gunned down by police after he shot and killed five service members in Tennessee had laid out his struggles with suicidal thoughts, financial woes and legal troubles related to his drug addiction.
The gunman’s journal, according to the Abdulazeez family spokesman speaking exclusively to ABC News, paints a portrait of a troubled youth who wrote about committing suicide and ‘becoming a martyr’ as far back as 2013, around the time when he was fired from his job because of his addiction to prescription pills and illegal narcotics.
The family representative said the electrical engineering student was addicted to sleeping pills, painkillers, opioids, marijuana, as well as alcohol.
In his diary, according to the spokesperson, Abdulazeez wrote about how he struggled to work a 12-hour night shift and had to take pills so he could fall asleep during the day.
Abdulazeez was also considering filing for bankruptcy because he was heavily in debt.
On April 20, the 24-year-old Kuwaiti national was arrested on a DUI charge.
The family representative said Abdulazeez was first treated by a child psychiatrist for depression when he was 12 or 13 years old.
The 24-year-old also fought drug and alcohol abuse, spending several months in Jordan last year to help clean himself up.
The representative said relatives of Abdulazeez believe those personal struggles are at the heart of last week’s killings at a pair of military sites in Chattanooga.
‘They do not know of anything else to explain it,’ said the representative Sunday on condition of anonymity.
The claim fits a pattern of behavior by Abdulazeez that includes a drunken driving arrest earlier this year and the loss of a job over a failed drug test.
Several years ago, relatives tried to have Abdulazeez admitted to an in-patient program for drug and alcohol abuse but a health insurer refused to approve the expense, said the representative.
Two days before the deadly shootings in Chattanooga, Abdulazeez rented a silver Mustang convertible, arrived at a local mosque and took a friend on a joy ride that lasted until 3am.
‘He bragged about [the car], and was showing it off to friends about how fast it would go,’ the Abdulazeez family spokesperson said Sunday.
Read more: dailymail.co.uk
- Hijab-Wearing Woman Becomes New Hair Model for L’Oreal. We Aren’t Joking. [Watch]
- Watch: Security Footage Captures Dramatic Shoot-Out Between Cops and Armed Robbers
- Newsweek: ‘Hillary Clinton could still become president if Russia probe finds conspiracy evidence’
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- Psychologist Answers Journalist’s Question ‘Why should your right to freedom of speech trump a trans person’s right not to be offended?’ — Leaves Her Speechless [Watch]
- ICE to Crack Down on California the Sanctuary State
- Melania Trump Cuts Pork from First Lady Payroll After Michelle Obama’s Extensive Spending
- Report: DHS to File Criminal Charges Against Sanctuary City Politicians
- New Details: Thirteen Children Living in ‘House of Horrors’ Were Only Allowed to Shower Twice a Year, Among Other Cruel Treatment
- Pope Francis Claims Migrants’ Rights Overrule Importance of National Security
- Nationwide Manhunt for This POS — Murdered Multiple Women, Considered Armed and Dangerous
- Actors Blame Trump for Hawaii False Alarm — Jim Carrey “We are headed for suffering beyond all imagination.”
- Watch: Two Chicks are Boarding a Sailboat to Fight Poaching, Totally Bad*ss
- Oakland Mayor Vows to Go to Jail to Protect Sanctuary City
- Allah Adios: Muslim Migrants Finally Get Deported from US Under Trump Admin
- Trump Rioters During Inauguration Day Find Out What “Justice” Means
- WOW: Is Obama FORCING Trump Out of the Oval Office?
- Insane! Man Faces Jail Time for ‘Disturbing’ Manatees by Throwing Bucket of…