Apple Inc’s stance on privacy in the face of a U.S. government demand to unlock an iPhone belonging to one of the San Bernardino attackers has raised awkward questions for the world’s mobile network operators.
Top executives at this week’s global telecom industry gathering in Barcelona admit they are constantly trying to strike a balance between the expectations and demands of their own users, government regulators and national politicians.
Apple’s stand — it argues that to unlock the iPhone would violate its free speech rights — has brought questions over these competing forces to the fore, exposing gaps in some telecoms operators’ own approaches.
“It’s very complicated, we don’t have a clear position,” Vodafone Chief Executive Vittorio Colao said, adding that the UK-based mobile operator is in more than 25 countries and must respect the security laws in each of those and more.
“We have privacy and customer safeguards as our number one value…I understand why Apple has a similar concern” he said.
However for others it is more clear-cut.
“Do I understand Apple’s position? No, honestly, it’s difficult for us to say that we share it,” Orange CEO Stephane Richard told journalists at the Barcelona event.
Read more: Yahoo News
- After Democrat Attacks Trump, Soldier’s Widow Releases Audio of Phone Call [WATCH]
- World’s Longest Shot Takes 10 Seconds to Wipe Out Target, an ISIS Militant
- NBC Gun “Expert” Caught LYING — Was This An Intentional Move To Push Gun Control?
- WATCH: Slew of Celebrities Ask Americans to ‘Reject’ the NRA, Conceal Carry Do to…
- Disturbing: Grieving Husband Finds Nurse ‘Maintaining Relations’ with His Wife’s Corpse
- ICE Reveals Illegal Alien May Have Caused Devastating California Fires
- Melania Trump Cuts Pork from First Lady Payroll After Michelle Obama’s Extensive Spending
- Democrat Behind Slain Soldier Controversy, ‘I’m a Rockstar Now’ [VIDEO]
- Dude Waves Communist Flag at Trump Rally — Watch What Happens to Him Next
- Watch: Jeff Sessions Goes Bonkers on Sen. Al Franken Over Russia Collusion
- ALL THE SECRETS? JFK Assassination Files to be Released
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- Man Who Identifies as a Woman Heads to Trial for Sexually Assaulting Little Girl in Bathroom
- CONFIRMED: FBI Says Comey Did Draft Letter On Clinton Before Completing the Investigation
- EDEN: A True Story of Sex Slavery in Nevada
- University Cop Shot in the Back of the Head
- Sean Diddy Combs Tweets NFL ‘I… Have a Dream’ Message — Far From Martin Luther King Jr.’s Speech
- Conceal Carrier Avoids Deadly Armed Robbery With One Quick Move [WATCH]