Apple Inc’s stance on privacy in the face of a U.S. government demand to unlock an iPhone belonging to one of the San Bernardino attackers has raised awkward questions for the world’s mobile network operators.
Top executives at this week’s global telecom industry gathering in Barcelona admit they are constantly trying to strike a balance between the expectations and demands of their own users, government regulators and national politicians.
Apple’s stand — it argues that to unlock the iPhone would violate its free speech rights — has brought questions over these competing forces to the fore, exposing gaps in some telecoms operators’ own approaches.
“It’s very complicated, we don’t have a clear position,” Vodafone Chief Executive Vittorio Colao said, adding that the UK-based mobile operator is in more than 25 countries and must respect the security laws in each of those and more.
“We have privacy and customer safeguards as our number one value…I understand why Apple has a similar concern” he said.
However for others it is more clear-cut.
“Do I understand Apple’s position? No, honestly, it’s difficult for us to say that we share it,” Orange CEO Stephane Richard told journalists at the Barcelona event.
Read more: Yahoo News
- For Those of You Who Thought Trump Bankrupted the Secret Service, Here is the Real Story…
- BLM Activist Makes List of Requests for White People: ‘give up the home you own to a black or brown family.’
- Armed Intruder Breaks into Family’s Apartment, Tries Raping Daughter — Enter the Pissed Off Father…
- Policewoman Shoots Down 4 Jihadis by Herself — Video Footage Revealed
- Anti-Trump Protester Shot in Groin With Tear-Gas Canister During Phoenix Rally [Video]
- REPORT: Debbie Wasserman Schultz’ IT Aide May Have Sold State Secrets to Russia, Pakistan
- Watch: Hipsters Believe America Should Model Economy Like Venezuela’s to Have Income Equality
- Pope Francis Claims Migrants’ Rights Overrule Importance of National Security
- State Senator Who Called for Trump Assassination is Kicked Out of…
- Question: Should Lawmakers Investigate James Comey and Robert Mueller?
- Bust… A Move? 92yr-Old Woman and Police Officer Have a Dance Off [Watch]
- Chick Lectures Crowd of White Women: ‘I Believe White People Are Born Into Not Being Human’ [Video]
- Hey Ladies: Here is a List of Compact 9mm Concealed Carry Guns that Cost Less Than $600
- VIDEO: Funny Man Jim Carrey Not So Funny Anymore — ‘Cold Dead Hand’ Music Video Mocs Gun Owners
- Neo-Nazi Groups are Now Recognized as Terrorist Organizations — Shouldn’t Black Lives Matter Also?
- Trump’s Border Wall Gets Full Funding with $1.6BIL Price-Tag
- If Trump is Responsible for Death at Charlottesville, Then Isn’t Obama Responsible for these 5 Murders?
- Woman is Stabbed. Two Unarmed Men Try Saving Her, Get Stabbed. Then Dude With Gun Shows Up…