Update at 9:15 p.m.: Statement from Harney County Sheriff Dave Ward: “After the peaceful rally was completed today, a group of outside militants drove to the Malheur Wildlife Refuge, where they seized and occupied the refuge headquarters. A collective effort from multiple agencies is currently working on a solution. For the time being please stay away from that area. More information will be provided as it becomes available. Please maintain a peaceful and united front and allow us to work through this situation.”
The Bundy family of Nevada joined with hard-core militiamen Saturday to take over the headquarters of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge, vowing to occupy the remote federal outpost 30 miles southeast of Burns for years.
The occupation came shortly after an estimated 300 marchers — militia and local citizens both — paraded through Burns to protest the prosecution of two Harney County ranchers, Dwight Hammond Jr. and Steven Hammond, who are to report to prison on Monday.
Among the occupiers is Ammon Bundy, son of Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy, and two of his brothers. Militia members at the refuge claimed they had as many as 100 supporters with them. The refuge, federal property managed by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, was closed and unoccupied for the holiday weekend.
In phone interviews from inside the occupied building Saturday night, Ammon Bundy and his brother, Ryan Bundy, said they are not looking to hurt anyone. But they would not rule out violence if police tried to remove them, they said.
“The facility has been the tool to do all the tyranny that has been placed upon the Hammonds,” Ammon Bundy said.
“We’re planning on staying here for years, absolutely,” he added. “This is not a decision we’ve made at the last minute.”
Neither man would say how many people are in the building or whether they are armed. Ryan Bundy said there were no hostages, but the group is demanding that the Hammonds be released and the federal government relinquish control of the Malheur National Forest.
He said many would be willing to fight — and die, if necessary — to defend what they see as constitutionally protected rights for states, counties and individuals to manage local lands.
“The best possible outcome is that the ranchers that have been kicked out of the area, then they will come back and reclaim their land, and the wildlife refuge will be shut down forever and the federal government will relinquish such control,” he said. “What we’re doing is not rebellious. What we’re doing is in accordance with the Constitution, which is the supreme law of the land.”
Read more: oregonlive.com
- The Two Missing Minutes in Case Where Officer Mohamed Noor Shot the Yoga Teacher
- If You Wear a Miniskirt in Saudi Arabia, Here is What Happens…
- Watch: Elderly Man Shoots Tires of AT&T Truck — Is This Wrong?
- Sean Spicer is Out: Quits Job as Press Secretary and is Replaced by…
- Crocodile Returns Body of Man it Killed After Witch Doctor ‘Summoned It’ [Video]
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- Berkeley Middle School Teacher Yvette Felarca Arrested For Assault, Rioting At ‘Anti-Fascist’ Protest
- Watch: Revolver or Semi-Auto for a Conceal Carry Weapon?
- ALERT: All US Army M1911 Handguns to be Transferred to Civilian Marksmanship Program in new Bill
- Wife Found Guilty of Shooting Her Husband Dead and the Only Witness was Their Pet Parrot
- John McCain’s Daughter Reveals the Senator Has Been Diagnosed With Brain Cancer
- Python Swallows Deer Whole in Seconds in Jaw Dropping Video, Or So We Think…
- Delta Airlines Kicks Ann Coulter Out of Her Seat and Boy Was That the Wrong Decision…
- 10,000 New ICE Agents are Ordered to Crackdown on Sanctuary Cities
- EXCLUSIVE: American Patriot & [email protected] Chuck Taylor Discusses Defensive Handgun Shooting [WATCH]
- Cop Mohammed Noor Shot Yoga Teacher From Patrol Car, While Reaching Over His Partner
- Bill de Blasio Snubbed at Funeral for Slain Female NYPD Officer
- Congress Fails to Include Majority of Trump’s Budget Cuts in House GOP Budget Plan