The nephew of a New York woman who sued him for $127,000 after she broke her wrist hugging him has spoken for the first time, saying she is not the ‘worst aunt ever’ that everything believes her to be.
Jennifer Connell, 54, broke her wrist when her newphew, Sean Tarala, jumped into her arms when she turned up to his eighth birthday party in Westport, Connecticut in March 2011.
Connell lost her suit on Tuesday, with a jury taking just 25 minutes to dismiss it, but not before a trial by social media branded her ‘evil’.
However Connell and her nephew appeared on the Today show Thursday to ‘clear the air’, with Sean – now 12 – maintaining that the lawsuit was a formality and not a family-at-war situation.
‘I love her and she loves me,’ Sean said.
‘She would never do anything to hurt the family or myself.’
Connell said she has been unfairly represented and that she was only suing Sean as a ‘formality’ to qualify for a homeowners insurance claim to cover her medical bills.
‘This was simply a case of formality with an insurance claim,’ she said.
”I said at the start of this, ”I don’t understand why. I don’t want to sue Sean”.’
‘I’m no legal expert but as I understand it, in Connecticut, it’s not possible to name an insurance company in a suit of a homeowners insurance case.
‘An individual has to be named, and in this case, because Sean and I had this fall together, I was informed that Sean had to be named.
‘I was never comfortable with that.’
Her legal team said taking the case was the only way she could claim from the household insurance to settle her medical bills.
A jury in Bridgeport, Connecticut took just 25 minutes to dismiss Connell’s case on Tuesday, which led to the human resource manager receiving considerable abuse on social media after being branded the auntie from hell.
Much of the public criticism of the case came from Connell’s testimony. She claimed in court: ‘I live in Manhattan in a third-floor walk-up so it has been very difficult. And we all know how crowded it is in Manhattan. I was at a party recently, and it was difficult to hold my hors d’oeuvre plate.’
Read more: dailymail.co.uk
- Watch: Mother and Daughter Defeat Armed Robber Because They Carry a Gun
- Watch: Student Gives Full Details of School Resource Officer Who Failed to Engage Nikolas Cruz During Attack
- CNN Reporter Claims School Shooting Survivor Colton Haab is a Liar
- Report: Father ‘Chained His Twin Daughters in Home, Raped Them and Fathered Their Children’
- Texas Chick Jailed for Falsely Claiming Gang Rape
- Delta and United Airlines Drop Their NRA Connections, Several Other Companies Too — UPDATE the NRA Responds
- Feinstein Receives No Love from Democratic Party for California Re-Election Bid
- Florida’s ‘Teacher of the Year’ Points the Finger at Parents for Mass Shooting Epidemic — ‘Parents, it’s time to step up!’
- Nurse Caught on Camera Laughing as WWII Vet Dies Gasping for Breath
- ‘Dreamers’ are Threatening to Leave the Country if DACA Deal isn’t Reached
- Photo Gallery
- Artist Who Painted Obama’s Portrait LOVES to Paint White Women Being Beheaded
- CNN Shocked After Iowa Voters Say What They Really Think About Russia Investigation [Watch]
- FBI Investigates Shooting Outside NSA Headquarters
- Alert: High School Shooting, One Dead and Multiple Wounded
- Gun-Control Fact Sheet: If There are Any Facts to Refute the Gun-Control Argument, It’s These
- Grandmother Stops School Shooting Plot in Washington State
- POLL: Conservatives Push to Have Mitch McConnell Resign, Do You Agree With Them?