The nephew of a New York woman who sued him for $127,000 after she broke her wrist hugging him has spoken for the first time, saying she is not the ‘worst aunt ever’ that everything believes her to be.
Jennifer Connell, 54, broke her wrist when her newphew, Sean Tarala, jumped into her arms when she turned up to his eighth birthday party in Westport, Connecticut in March 2011.
Connell lost her suit on Tuesday, with a jury taking just 25 minutes to dismiss it, but not before a trial by social media branded her ‘evil’.
However Connell and her nephew appeared on the Today show Thursday to ‘clear the air’, with Sean – now 12 – maintaining that the lawsuit was a formality and not a family-at-war situation.
‘I love her and she loves me,’ Sean said.
‘She would never do anything to hurt the family or myself.’
Connell said she has been unfairly represented and that she was only suing Sean as a ‘formality’ to qualify for a homeowners insurance claim to cover her medical bills.
‘This was simply a case of formality with an insurance claim,’ she said.
”I said at the start of this, ”I don’t understand why. I don’t want to sue Sean”.’
‘I’m no legal expert but as I understand it, in Connecticut, it’s not possible to name an insurance company in a suit of a homeowners insurance case.
‘An individual has to be named, and in this case, because Sean and I had this fall together, I was informed that Sean had to be named.
‘I was never comfortable with that.’
Her legal team said taking the case was the only way she could claim from the household insurance to settle her medical bills.
A jury in Bridgeport, Connecticut took just 25 minutes to dismiss Connell’s case on Tuesday, which led to the human resource manager receiving considerable abuse on social media after being branded the auntie from hell.
Much of the public criticism of the case came from Connell’s testimony. She claimed in court: ‘I live in Manhattan in a third-floor walk-up so it has been very difficult. And we all know how crowded it is in Manhattan. I was at a party recently, and it was difficult to hold my hors d’oeuvre plate.’
Read more: dailymail.co.uk
- After Democrat Attacks Trump, Soldier’s Widow Releases Audio of Phone Call [WATCH]
- Man Who Identifies as a Woman Heads to Trial for Sexually Assaulting Little Girl in Bathroom
- NBC Gun “Expert” Caught LYING — Was This An Intentional Move To Push Gun Control?
- World’s Longest Shot Takes 10 Seconds to Wipe Out Target, an ISIS Militant
- ICE Reveals Illegal Alien May Have Caused Devastating California Fires
- WATCH: Slew of Celebrities Ask Americans to ‘Reject’ the NRA, Conceal Carry Do to…
- Melania Trump Cuts Pork from First Lady Payroll After Michelle Obama’s Extensive Spending
- Democrat Behind Slain Soldier Controversy, ‘I’m a Rockstar Now’ [VIDEO]
- Dude Waves Communist Flag at Trump Rally — Watch What Happens to Him Next
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- Watch: Jeff Sessions Goes Bonkers on Sen. Al Franken Over Russia Collusion
- Disturbing: Grieving Husband Finds Nurse ‘Maintaining Relations’ with His Wife’s Corpse
- Actress Jessica Chastain: Hollywood Rallies Against Trump, But Ignores ‘Sexual Predators In Our Offices’
- Awkward: Compilation Video of Celebrities Thanking Harvey Weinstein Goes Viral [WATCH]
- Haitian Official Who Exposed the Clinton Foundation is Found With Gun-Shot to Head
- CONFIRMED: FBI Says Comey Did Draft Letter On Clinton Before Completing the Investigation
- EDEN: A True Story of Sex Slavery in Nevada
- University Cop Shot in the Back of the Head