After a two-and-a-half month pause, the U.S. is again launching anti-Islamic State in Iraq and Syria strikes from an aircraft carrier in the Persian Gulf, the Navy announced on Tuesday.
Boeing F/A-18s launched at night from the deck of USS Harry S. Truman (CVN-75) to launch the first carrier-based strikes for Operation Inherent Resolve since the Theodore Roosevelt Carrier Strike Group left the Persian Gulf in October.
The Truman CSG joins French nuclear carrier Charles de Gaulle (R 91) which has been launching fighters in the Persian Gulf since Nov. 23.
“Dual carrier operations with the French allow us to maximize our firepower and provide a unique opportunity to further progress against [ISIS],” Rear Adm. Bret Batchelder, commander, Carrier Strike Group (CSG) 8 said in a Navy statement.
Two carriers allow more flexibility in operations, Carrier Air Wing 7 commander Capt. Fredrick Luchtman said in the same statement.
“We complement each other in that while one carrier is able to fly sorties in country to support OIR, the other carrier can conduct maintenance and prepare for the next day,” he said.
Read more: news.usni.org
- WATCH: Bernie Sanders FREAKS When His Gun Policy is Exposed by Chuck Todd
- Watch: The Horrifying Footage of What Happened Inside School During Florida Massacre
- Jennifer Lawrence Has Quit Acting to ‘Save Our Democracy’ from Donald Trump
- Parkland High School Student Blames Media for Politicizing the School Shooting, Instead of Focusing on Students Who Lost Their Lives
- Watch: Laura Ingraham Tells LeBron James to ‘Shut Up and Dribble’ After His Trump Comment
- VIDEO: Students ‘Protest’ Gun Violence by Laying Around Doing Nothing
- Little Girl was Going to Attend Daddy-Daughter Dance Alone, Until This Soldier Showed Up
- Hijab-Wearing Woman Becomes New Hair Model for L’Oreal. We Aren’t Joking. [Watch]
- WATCH: Mariah Carey Caught Lip Syncing During NYE Performance–Storms Off Stage, But Not Before She Said This…
- PRO GUN WIN: See How this Judge Just Changed the Game for Gun Owners
- Gun-Control Fact Sheet: If There are Any Facts to Refute the Gun-Control Argument, It’s These
- The Hero Coach Who Saved Dozens of Students by Sacrificing Himself
- Nikolas Cruz was Member of White Supremacist Militia — UPADET, Police Find No Link
- Grandmother Stops School Shooting Plot in Washington State
- How the FBI Failed to Track Down Florida Shooter After YouTube Threat Using His Real Name
- Watch: Democrat Senator Admits Trump is Right About the Wall