After a two-and-a-half month pause, the U.S. is again launching anti-Islamic State in Iraq and Syria strikes from an aircraft carrier in the Persian Gulf, the Navy announced on Tuesday.
Boeing F/A-18s launched at night from the deck of USS Harry S. Truman (CVN-75) to launch the first carrier-based strikes for Operation Inherent Resolve since the Theodore Roosevelt Carrier Strike Group left the Persian Gulf in October.
The Truman CSG joins French nuclear carrier Charles de Gaulle (R 91) which has been launching fighters in the Persian Gulf since Nov. 23.
“Dual carrier operations with the French allow us to maximize our firepower and provide a unique opportunity to further progress against [ISIS],” Rear Adm. Bret Batchelder, commander, Carrier Strike Group (CSG) 8 said in a Navy statement.
Two carriers allow more flexibility in operations, Carrier Air Wing 7 commander Capt. Fredrick Luchtman said in the same statement.
“We complement each other in that while one carrier is able to fly sorties in country to support OIR, the other carrier can conduct maintenance and prepare for the next day,” he said.
Read more: news.usni.org
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- CNN Made to Report Trump’s ‘Wiretap’ Accusations May Have Been True
- Bill O’Reilly Breaks His Silence: His Firing was a ‘Political and Financial Hit Job’ [Video]
- Defense Secretary James Mattis is Ready to Shoot Down North Korea’s Ballistic Missiles
- Crocodile ‘Whisperer’ Claimed the Creatures Wouldn’t Harm Him, Then He Went for a Swim
- College Pays Professors Huge Settlement After ‘Ban of White People’ on Campus Threatened Their Lives [Video]
- Chelsea Handler: ‘Black White Supremacy’ is a Real Thing
- Trump UN Speech: ‘Rocket Man’ Kim Jong Un is on ‘suicide mission’ [WATCH]
- White Chick Claims Police Arresting Looters is ‘White Supremacy’
- ISIS on the Verge of Losing its ‘Capital’
- ROAD RAGE: This Guy Wants Everyone to Know What he Thinks of Obama and It’s Awesome [PHOTO]
- Here is How Miami Police are Handling the Hurricane Irma Looters…
- Columbus Day Now has a New Racially Acceptable Name in Los Angeles, Explorer to be Erased from History…
- Her Orders were to Take Down Flight 93 on 9/11, But Lt. Heather “Lucky” Penney Was Flying an Unarmed F-16
- PERV ALERT: Group of Brooklyn Teens Grope Several Women
- The Lawyers Whom Allegedly Deleted Hillary’s E-mails are About to be…
- Obama’s Deputy Chief of Staff Reveals Michelle Was the Real Boss and if She Got Mad, Oh Boy…
- ALERT: Wasserman Schultz’ ex-IT Aide Now Faces 4-count Indictment