Hot off a poll showing him at the top of the Republican presidential field for the first time since early November, Ted Cruz branded himself the ‘new national front runner’ at a town hall this evening in South Carolina.
The NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll shows Cruz, a Texas senator, with 28 per cent of Republican support nationally, compared with 26 per cent for Trump, the outspoken maverick billionaire.
‘And then the next closest candidate is way down at 17 percent,’ Cruz said, referring to rival senator Marco Rubio, of Florida.
The survey was released to the public at 5pm just after Cruz took the stage.
‘For the first time in many months, there’s a new national front runner on the Republican side,’ Cruz said to cheering and hollering from his audience.
After the Texas senator finished reading off the survey’s findings he told them, ‘So the sound you’re hearing is the sound of screams coming from Washington, D.C.’
At that point the sound his audience was hearing was silence, as they awkwardly reacted to his dismissal of Rubio, who he’s aggressively trying to take down as a supporter of amnesty for illegals.
The NBC poll’s results are unlike any other survey published in months, and stands in stark contrast with other measurements – all of which show The Donald leading the pack by wide margins.
But taken at face value, it ends a streak of 31 straight national GOP polls where Trump has occupied the top slot.
Trump press secretary Hope Hicks told DailyMail.com that the new poll is an ‘outlier,’ suggesting it’s a blip in the radar that shouldn’t be taken seriously.
She noted that the pollsters contacted an unworkably ‘small sample of conservatives,’ including only 400 Republicans in all, which might skew the results.
But Cruz was ready to crow on a day when the two rivals have been at each other’s throats and their aides are preparing the South Carolina’s first-in-the-south primary election on Saturday.
Read more: Daily Mail
- Black Hawk Helicopter Downed, 5 Crew Members on Board
- If Trump is Responsible for Death at Charlottesville, Then Isn’t Obama Responsible for these 5 Murders?
- Report: Charlottesville’s Neo-Nazi Organizer Was Former Occupy Activist, Supported Obama
- All the Details Behind Car Attack in Charlottesville are Released, Man Behind Wheel Was… [UPDATE]
- Sharia Law Is Coming To A Neighborhood Near You
- Baltimore Removes All Confederate Statues in Middle of Night
- NO LOVE FOR TRUMP: Glenn Beck Calls Trump’s Wife a Lesbian Porn Star in Facebook Rant
- Report: Forensic Experts say DNC was Never Hacked by Russia, An Insider Did the Job
- Mistakes First Time Buyers Make When Buying A Gun And How To Avoid Them
- Congress Demands Trump Fire his ‘White Supremacist’ Advisers
- CBS Discovers the Brutal Reality of Gun Laws During Interview
- Michigan Forces Grandparents to Choose Between Their Guns and Grandchild…
- Woman is Stabbed. Two Unarmed Men Try Saving Her, Get Stabbed. Then Dude With Gun Shows Up…
- Savage: Dude Explains Feminism in 2017, ‘You’re a Man. Everything a Man Does is…’ [Video]
- ASHLEY MADISON FOUNDER: Emails Reveal His Wife Might Want to Divorce Him…
- Charlottesville Police Chief Says Everyone was Guilty of Violence: ‘Mutually Combating Individuals In The Crowd’
- 5 Legal Stupidities on the 9th Circuit Court Keeping it’s Ruling Against Trump’s Travel Ban
- Trump to North Korea: You “will be met with fire, fury and frankly power, the likes of which the world has never seen before.”