An order banning female guards at Guantanamo Bay from transporting five detainees suspected of being involved in the September 11 attacks has been branded ‘outrageous’.
A military judge issued an order in January prohibiting female guards from transporting the defendants, including Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, after they refused to meet with defense lawyers and complained that any physical contact with unrelated women violated their Muslim beliefs.
The ruling by Army Colonel James Pohl was meant to deal with their complaints, which posed a threat to legal proceedings.
Questioned on the ruling at a congressional hearing, both Marine General Joseph Dunford Jr., the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and Defense Secretary Ash Carter said it was an outrage.
‘I think it is counter to the way we treat service members, including women service members, and outrage is a very good word for it,’ Carter told the Senate Armed Services Committee.
Dunford said: ‘It is outrageous. It ought to be fixed. It hasn’t been to date.’
Read more: dailymail.co.uk
- WATCH: Bernie Sanders FREAKS When His Gun Policy is Exposed by Chuck Todd
- Parkland High School Student Blames Media for Politicizing the School Shooting, Instead of Focusing on Students Who Lost Their Lives
- Jennifer Lawrence Has Quit Acting to ‘Save Our Democracy’ from Donald Trump
- Watch: The Horrifying Footage of What Happened Inside School During Florida Massacre
- Gun-Control Fact Sheet: If There are Any Facts to Refute the Gun-Control Argument, It’s These
- VIDEO: Students ‘Protest’ Gun Violence by Laying Around Doing Nothing
- Hijab-Wearing Woman Becomes New Hair Model for L’Oreal. We Aren’t Joking. [Watch]
- CNN Shocked After Iowa Voters Say What They Really Think About Russia Investigation [Watch]
- Nikolas Cruz was Member of White Supremacist Militia — UPADET, Police Find No Link
- Man Teases Bear With Food — Biggest Mistake of His Life
- Grandmother Stops School Shooting Plot in Washington State
- Watch: Laura Ingraham Tells LeBron James to ‘Shut Up and Dribble’ After His Trump Comment
- Watch: Democrat Senator Admits Trump is Right About the Wall