Speaker John Boehner told GOP lawmakers on Friday he will resign at the end of October.
The embattled Ohio Republican will resign from both his Speakership and his House seat, he told GOP lawmakers at a closed-door conference meeting.
“Speaker Boehner believes that the first job of any Speaker is to protect this institution and, as we saw yesterday with the Holy Father, it is the one thing that unites and inspires us all,” a Boehner aide said.
The aide said the Speaker had only been planning to serve through the end of last year but decided to stay on after then-House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.) suffered a stunning primary loss.
“The Speaker believes putting members through prolonged leadership turmoil would do irreparable damage to the institution,” the aide said.
“He is proud of what this majority has accomplished, and his Speakership, but for the good of the Republican Conference and the institution, he will resign the Speakership and his seat in Congress, effective October 30.”
Boehner’s decision comes as Congress is struggling to find a way to fund the government — and his leadership has become a part of that struggle. Conservatives unhappy with his style have repeatedly threatened to seek to unseat him.
They’ve specifically suggested that they will be watching his steps on a government funding plan, and demanded that the Speaker take action to halt federal funds for Planned Parenthood as part of a measure to keep the government open.
GOP leaders in both the House and the Senate have criticized that strategy, saying it could lead to a shutdown that would hurt Republicans in the 2016 elections.
The latest spending fight is just a microcosm of Boehner’s long-standing problems in running the Republican conference, which has repeatedly bucked his direction.
His announcement also follows one of the biggest moments of his career: Pope Francis’s visit to Capitol Hill and address to Congress. It was long a goal of Boehner’s to have a pope address the Congress, and he had difficulty on Thursday keeping his emotions in check.
Rep. John Mica (R-Fla.) emerged from the private House meeting to say that members were “stunned” when Boehner announced his decision.
“Everybody’s still in sort of a state of shock,” he said.
According to Mica, Boehner told members that he thought opposition to his role as Speaker was becoming a distraction from broader policy debates.
“He just does not want to become the issue,” said Mica. “Some people have tried to make him the issue, both in Congress and outside.
“We’ll just have to regroup. We faced challenges before.”
Small Business Committee Chairman Steve Chabot, a fellow Ohio Republican and close Boehner ally, described the room as “somber.”
Read more: The Hill
- Young Woman Attacked and Stabbed — Turns the Table on Her Attacker and Gets His Knife
- REPORT: Facebook’s Algorithm Change Boosting Liberals, Silencing Conservatives
- WATCH: Tennessee Students Start Fighting, Tear Down American Flag During Anti-Gun ‘Walkout’ Protest
- WINNING! California FORCED to Return 500+ Guns to Dealer After Seizing Them For…
- One Student SUSPENDED for Not Walking Out During Anti-Gun Protest
- Nikolas Cruz ‘Smiling and Laughing’ in Life Behind Bars
- Student David Hogg Demands People ‘Work Together’, But Calls the NRA ‘Child Murderers’
- Couple Caught Sexually Abusing Their Kids and Family Dog
- Parkland High School: Broward County Sheriff Captain Who Ordered Officers to Secure “Perimeter” Identified
- REPORT: US was Running Guns Through Benghazi to Syria and Hillary Lied About it Under Oath
- Second Amendment Group Has Surge of Membership at 1200% for 18-20 Year-Olds
- PRO GUN WIN: See How this Judge Just Changed the Game for Gun Owners
- Dear Idiot NYT Writer: Here are THREE Provable Instances of Americans Protecting Their Liberty with Guns
- Haitian Official Who Exposed the Clinton Foundation is Found With Gun-Shot to Head
- Dropped: Charges Against the Bundy Family are Dismissed
- Black Panther Trailer, ‘World is Changing… Soon There will be the Conquered and the Conquerors’
- DETAINED BUT READY TO MINGLE: Osama bin Laden’s Associate Creates Dating Profile from Gitmo
- Tinder Date Turns to Homicide: ‘Mama’s Boy’ Dismembers Woman’s Body