The House voted on Wednesday evening to repeal President Barack Obama’s signature health care law, with the measure passing the Republican controlled chamber 240-181.
This marks the first time that Congress has sent a measure to repeal the Affordable Care Act to Obama’s desk, forcing the president to issue a rare veto.
Previously, Senate Republicans had been unable to bypass Democratic filibusters and pass repeal of the controversial law. That changed in early December when the upper chamber voted 52-47 to repeal it and strip federal funding for Planned Parenthood.
“For five years, Senate Democrats have blocked our efforts to repeal Obamacare,” Speaker Paul Ryan said in a statement. “That ends today. With this vote, we are keeping a promise and putting a bill that repeals Obamacare and defunds Planned Parenthood on the president’s desk.”
Read more: The Blaze
- Grandmother Stops School Shooting Plot in Washington State
- Watch: The Horrifying Footage of What Happened Inside School During Florida Massacre
- Little Girl was Going to Attend Daddy-Daughter Dance Alone, Until This Soldier Showed Up
- Watch: Laura Ingraham Tells LeBron James to ‘Shut Up and Dribble’ After His Trump Comment
- What Is An Assault Rifle?
- REPORT: US was Running Guns Through Benghazi to Syria and Hillary Lied About it Under Oath
- WATCH: California Teacher Calls Military ‘Lowest of Our Low’
- GARY SINISE SHUTS DOWN LARRY KING: On Gun Control in the CLASSIEST Way Possible and We Love It [WATCH]
- How the FBI Failed to Track Down Florida Shooter After YouTube Threat Using His Real Name
- Watch: Democrat Senator Admits Trump is Right About the Wall
- Watch: ‘Blue’ is the Best Documentary Against the Green Movement — Proves How They are Destroying the Earth
- Women’s Concealed Carry: Where Do We Hide the Gun?
- National Park Service to Give Big Money for Black Panther Monument, Even Though Organization Killed NPS Officer