The terrorist attacks in Paris have prompted two governors to announce that Syrian refugees will not be allowed to resettle in their states.
Gov. Rick Snyder of Michigan and Gov. Robert Bentley of Alabama, both Republicans, issued individual statements Sunday declaring that their states would not be open to refugees fleeing the conflict in Syria.
Noting Michigan’s “rich history of immigration,” Snyder’s statement said, “But our first priority is protecting the safety of our residents.”
“It’s also important to remember that these attacks are the efforts of extremists and do not reflect the peaceful ways of people of Middle Eastern descent here and around the world,” he said.
Snyder had previously been working with the federal government to determine a process for accepting refugees. “Isn’t that part of being a good Michigander?” he told the Detroit Free Press in late September, pointing out the economic and humanitarian benefits of welcoming Syrians.
Snyder said those efforts would now be suspended until further evidence of more rigid security measures.
His reversal follows a statement from Michigan state Rep. Gary Glenn, also a Republican, who said Saturday that the state “should not rush to offer an open door to the high-risk importation of individuals from a known hotbed of Islamic extremism.”
Michigan is home to a sizable Middle Eastern population, with the Detroit metro area having one of the largest in the country. Earlier this month, the city of Hamtramck, Mich., elected America’s first Muslim-majority city council.
According to the Free Press, many Syrians have already settled in Michigan, where 200 have been relocated by one agency in the past year.
Read more: The Washington Post
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- Hillary Collapses in UK — Has Now Cancelled All Scheduled Events
- Awkward: Compilation Video of Celebrities Thanking Harvey Weinstein Goes Viral [WATCH]
- CONFIRMED: FBI Says Comey Did Draft Letter On Clinton Before Completing the Investigation
- Trump Retaliates After Democrat ‘Fabricated’ Slain Soldier Story — He Has Proof
- CNN Commentator: When it Come to Criticizing NFL Players “White People Don’t Get to…”
- BREAKING: Armed and Dangerous Killer on the Run — At Least 3 Dead
- Gun Grabbing ‘Logic’: Dianne Feinstein Claims Constitution Does NOT Protect Conceal Carry — All 40 Million Americans She Represents Would Never Want a… [VIDEO]
- NO LOVE FOR TRUMP: Glenn Beck Calls Trump’s Wife a Lesbian Porn Star in Facebook Rant
- Authorities Confirm: 4 Times More People Killed with a Blade Than a Rifle
- WATCH: John McCain Refers to Trump as “Half-baked.” “Spurious nationalism.” “Tired dogma.”
- The Key to Basic Handgun Training? K.I.S.S. [Watch]
- After Congress Failed, Trump Takes Action Against ObamaCare
- Robert De Niro Exclaims ‘F**k you, Donald Trump’ During Charity Event — Plans to Prevent the President From…
- 9yr-Old Girl Has Some Mad Crazy Handgun Skills [Video]
- WATCH: Nancy Pelosi Goes on Tirade Against Trump’s Executive Order, Busted for Not Reading It [LOL]
- VEGAS TEEN HERO: Fends Off Home Invaders With .22LR Rifle, Saves his Little Siblings