Few will argue with the claim the Republican Party’s 2016 presidential nomination process has been a wild ride.
Candidates Carly Fiorina, Ben Carson, and former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush have all made strong pushes in the polls at one time or another, but only business tycoon Donald Trump has managed to sustain his base of support (and even add significantly to it). According to Real Clear Politics, Trump has been king of the GOP mountain since the end of July.
Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) has stood somewhat quietly in the background throughout all of the election chaos. Like his career in the U.S. Senate, Cruz has consistently been nothing other than himself, sometimes to his own detriment. Cruz isn’t the most charismatic, controversial, or bombastic candidate in the field, but he may very well be the most conservative, and it’s hard to argue he isn’t the most loyal to the conservatives who have stood by him from the very beginning of the race.
Cruz, who was once thought to be one of the two or three frontrunners, has struggled at times to win supporters in a crowded field of challengers. In July, Cruz was only polling at 4 percent in many national polls. Today, Cruz has firmly moved into second place behind Trump, with one recent Quinnipiac poll showing Cruz standing strong with 24 percent of the GOP vote, compared to Trump’s 28 percent. Other than a three-week period in November—when Carson made significant gains—no other candidate has been this close to challenging Trump since his rise in July.
Unlike Bush, Fiorina, and Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), Cruz has never wavered on any important conservative position, and Cruz has been in the national spotlight much longer than Carson. Cruz is often named as Trump supporters’ “second choice,” and his longstanding commitment to conservative principles makes him a dangerous opponent for Trump, who has repeatedly said how much he likes and respects Cruz.
With higher poll numbers, however, come more personal attacks. Below you’ll find three of the most damaging—some of which have been leveled by other conservatives—myths about Cruz, along with the facts that show why they’re completely untrue.
1. Ted Cruz Isn’t a Natural Born Citizen
There are only three constitutional qualifications for becoming president. A person must be at least age 35, have been a resident of the United States for at least 14 years, and the candidate must be a “natural born Citizen.” Because Cruz’ father was not a U.S. citizen at the time of Cruz’ birth and because Cruz was born in Canada, some—including famous conservative pundit Ann Coulter—have argued Cruz does not qualify as a “natural born Citizen.”
The evidence, however, is strongly opposed to that claim. Contrary to the claims of Cruz’ critics, a natural born citizen is simply someone who is a citizen at birth, a designation determined by federal law (the Constitution does not specifically law out who is a “natural born Citizen”).
According to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, a person born outside the United States with one U.S. citizen parent after Oct. 10, 1952, and before Nov. 14, 1986, is a natural born citizen so long as the parents are married at the time of birth and the U.S. citizen parent resided in the United States for at least 10 years prior to the birth, five of which must be after that person’s 14th birthday. There are other considerations as well, but none of which would alter Cruz’ status. Because Cruz fits the description above, he was a citizen at birth according to U.S. law.
Some have suggested that simply being a citizen at birth is not the same as being a natural born Citizen, but as Neal Katyal and Paul Clement argue for the Harvard Law Review Forum, such an argument is obviously false. British common law, which they argue was the basis upon which the “natural born Citizen” provision was made, always allowed for individuals born outside of the British Empire to British citizens to automatically receive a “natural born” status.
Read more: The Blaze
- ANTIFA Protester Hits MAGA Man, Then All Hell Breaks Loose [Video]
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- Alert: 18 ‘ISIS Fighters’ Have Been Executed in Libya
- Fast & Furious Eric Holder Attacks Trump for Corruption
- Female Hunter Commits Suicide After Being Threatened by Animal Rights Activists
- Watch: Elderly Man Shoots Tires of AT&T Truck — Is This Wrong?
- When the Creatures of WALMART are Photographed…
- Python Swallows Deer Whole in Seconds in Jaw Dropping Video, Or So We Think…
- Delta Airlines Kicks Ann Coulter Out of Her Seat and Boy Was That the Wrong Decision…
- Maryland’s Gun Ban to be Reviewed by Supreme Court…
- Gang of 4 Stalk 50yr-Old Woman, ‘Forced Her to Perform Oral Sex at Gunpoint’ [Video]
- Chick Kills Her 14yr-Old Sister While Driving Under Influence and Live Streams it, ‘I killed my sister, but I don’t care.’ [Video]
- If You Wear a Miniskirt in Saudi Arabia, Here is What Happens…
- ‘Religion of Peace’ Imam Preaches “O Muslim, O Servant of Allah, There is a Jew Behind me, Come And KILL HIM”
- Starbucks Customer Nails Armed Robber with Chair and Saves the Day [Watch]
- Report Reveals Officer Mohamed Noor was a ‘Diversity’ Hire for Police Station
- BEN CARSON: Just Dropped this BOMB on Obama’s Lap [WATCH]
- Nominee for FBI Director Claims Trump Never Asked for Loyalty From Him [Video]