The United States will have to negotiate with Syrian President Bashar Assad for a political transition in Syria and is exploring ways to pressure him into agreeing to talks, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry has admitted.
Washington has long insisted that Assad must be replaced through a negotiated, political transition, but the rise of a common enemy, hardline militant group Islamic State, has evidently softened the administration’s stance towards him.
In an interview broadcast on Sunday, Kerry did not repeat the standard U.S. line that Assad had lost all legitimacy and had to go. Syria’s civil war is now into its fifth year, with hundreds of thousands killed and millions of Syrians displaced.
‘We have to negotiate in the end,’ Kerry told CBS News. ‘We’ve always been willing to negotiate in the context of the Geneva I process,’ he added, referring to a 2012 conference which called for a negotiated transition to end the conflict.
Kerry said the United States and other countries, which he did not name, were exploring ways to reignite the diplomatic process to end the conflict in Syria.
‘What we’re pushing for is to get him (Assad) to come and do that, and it may require that there be increased pressure on him of various kinds in order to do that,’ the secretary of state said.
‘We’ve made it very clear to people that we are looking at increased steps that can help bring about that pressure,’ he added.
The United States led efforts to convene a U.N.-backed peace talks in Geneva last year between Western-backed Syrian opposition representatives and a government delegation. The talks collapsed after two rounds and no fresh talks have been scheduled.
Read more: dailymail.co.uk
- REPORT: Hillary Got ‘PHYSICALLY VIOLENT’ After Losing–ATTACKED Staff and Had to be ‘Restrained’
- Skinny Dipping Biden: Female Secret Service Agents Hate Being Assigned to Biden, But Hillary is Worse
- VIDEO: Hillary Cries Hysterically After Losing–Blames Comey & Obama
- Informant on Clinton, Russia Uranium Deal has been Identified
- WATCH: Drake Defends Female Fans After Man Gropes Them During Concert
- Exposed: Hillary Clinton’s Web of Corruption — Russian Uranium Deal in the Center of it All
- Watch: When Americans ‘Steal’ Illegal Immigrants’ Job
- Faith Hill Touts for ‘Common Sense’ Gun Control: NRA Needs to ‘Tell the Truth’ on Guns
- Holy Sh*t: Kurdish Female Fighter Narrowly Escapes Sniper Shot
- Chick Fired for Flicking Off Trump’s Motorcade Gets Job Offer from Porn Company, Given $70k for…
- BILL DE BLASIO: Plans to DELETE Database of Illegal Aliens in NY to ‘Protect’ Them From Trump…
- REPORT: Charlie Sheen ‘Raped 13-year-old’ Child Actor
- Dear Idiot NYT Writer: Here are THREE Provable Instances of Americans Protecting Their Liberty with Guns
- Man Teases Bear With Food — Biggest Mistake of His Life
- Trump Plans for Nation Wide Conceal Carry and END to Gun Control–Do You Dig It?
- Dude Starts Freaking When Chick Places Snake on His Lap in Most Hilarious Video
- Bill Clinton Finally Being Targeted for His Sexual Abuse to Women [WATCH]