The National Rifle Association and other Second Amendment advocates are speaking out against the government’s move to amend laws regarding certain ammunition, which could, in effect, ban “one of the most popular cartridges for the most popular rifle in America, the AR-15.”
The issue lies with so-called “armor-piercing” ammunition and handguns. There is an exception for such ammunition if it is “primarily intended to be used for sporting purposes.”
The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives is proposing a new framework for those requesting that their projectile qualify as one designed for “sporting purposes.”
M855 ball ammunition, which is the focus of the new regulation, could then fall into this category, according to the NRA’s Institute for Legislative Action.
“The firearm industry has developed commercially available handguns designed to use conventional rifle ammunition,” ATF wrote in its proposal. “This ammunition meets the content requirement of the definition, but previously was not classified as ‘armor piercing’ under the statute because there were no handguns that could ‘use’ it. As a result of the availability of these handguns, however, some conventional rifle ammunition now falls within the statutory definition and is properly classified as ‘armor piercing ammunition,’ despite the fact that the ammunition itself has not changed. Consequently, ammunition manufacturers have requested exemptions for this ammunition.”
The NRA and Rep. Bob Goodlatte (R-Va.), chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, drafted a letter, which it hopes other Americans will sign onto and send to ATF Director B. Todd Jones to encourage ATF to reverse its proposal.
Read more: The Blaze
- Trump Attacks Everyone in Morning Twitter Rant
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- Watch: Elderly Man Shoots Tires of AT&T Truck — Is This Wrong?
- If You Wear a Miniskirt in Saudi Arabia, Here is What Happens…
- ALERT: All US Army M1911 Handguns to be Transferred to Civilian Marksmanship Program in new Bill
- Liberal Journalist Calls Sarah Huckabee Sanders a ‘Butch Queen’
- Demonic: Group of Teens Laugh and Mock Disabled Man Drowning in Pond, Film the Whole Incident
- Delta Airlines Kicks Ann Coulter Out of Her Seat and Boy Was That the Wrong Decision…
- Crocodile Returns Body of Man it Killed After Witch Doctor ‘Summoned It’ [Video]
- White House Communications Director Anthony Scaramucci is a Staunch Gun Control Supporter
- Starbucks Customer Nails Armed Robber with Chair and Saves the Day [Watch]
- Watch: Revolver or Semi-Auto for a Conceal Carry Weapon?
- Report Reveals Officer Mohamed Noor was a ‘Diversity’ Hire for Police Station
- Gang of 4 Stalk 50yr-Old Woman, ‘Forced Her to Perform Oral Sex at Gunpoint’ [Video]
- ANTIFA Protester Hits MAGA Man, Then All Hell Breaks Loose [Video]
- Fake Mud Jeans Now Exist for Men Who are too Afraid to Get Dirty — Guess How Much They Cost
- Haitian Official Who Exposed the Clinton Foundation is Found With Gun-Shot to Head
- Armed Guards Surround Women’s March, As They Protest Gun Rights…