Law enforcement officials in Kansas revealed Friday that the gunman who killed three people and wounded 14 on Thursday was issued a restraining order that afternoon, which may have triggered the deadly rampage at the factory where he worked.
Father-of-two Cedric Ford, 38, clocked in to work as a painter at lawn-mower manufacturing firm Excel Industries in the city of Hesston on Thursday morning.
But hours later he left – and returned with a .223-caliber assault-style rifle and a pistol.
He allegedly gunned down victims in multiple locations and stole a car along the road back to Excel Industries at 5pm on Thursday. The stolen car’s driver was one of the three killed.
Harvey County Sheriff T. Walton said this morning that the sheriff’s office served Ford a protection from abuse order involving his gilfriend at around 3.30pm Thursday, and that he thinks it was likely what led to the attack, which began about 90 minutes later.
The sheriff said such orders are typically served ‘because there’s some type of violence in a relationship,’ but he declined to specify the nature of the relationship in question.
Witnesses at the Hesston office building, 35 miles north of Wichita, said Ford pulled up outside in a red van, shot a woman in the parking lot, then entered the facility, unleashing a volley of bullets as people ran for their lives screaming ‘run, fire, fire,’ according to one account.
Three people were shot dead and 14 were injured – five critically – before Ford was gunned down by police 26 minutes later.
Authorities in Hesston have said Thursday’s mass killing was not terror related.
‘This is a horrible situation my friends, just terrible,’ Harvey County Sheriff T. Walton said at a late evening press conference.
‘There were some things that triggered this particular individual,’ he said, without going into further detail.
While many of his victims were coworkers, the attacker appears to have opened fire at random, Walton said.
One worker told KAKE News that Ford, of Newton, Kansas, had ‘mental issues’ and was ‘being teased a little bit’ when he worked at Excel.
However, another said ‘he was the nicest guy I know’ and that they had been chatting as normal when they walked in the plant to clock in this morning.
Ford, a father-of-two, has a long history of burglary convictions, grand theft, and prowling dating back to the 1990s. It is not clear how he managed to obtain a weapon given his criminal record.
Read more: Daily Mail
- POLL: Does President Trump Need to Apologize to Gold Star Widow Myeshia Johnson?
- UNLEASHED: Jimmy Carter Goes After Hillary, Obama & Russia Scandal — Says Trump is…
- GROSS: He/She Artist Collects 200 Gallons of Urine to Protest Trump — Demonstrates How [VIDEO]
- Disturbing: Grieving Husband Finds Nurse ‘Maintaining Relations’ with His Wife’s Corpse
- After Democrat Attacks Trump, Soldier’s Widow Releases Audio of Phone Call [WATCH]
- WATCH: Jesse Jackson Compares Playing for NFL & NBA to ‘Picking Cotton’
- NBC Gun “Expert” Caught LYING — Was This An Intentional Move To Push Gun Control?
- National Park Service to Give Big Money for Black Panther Monument, Even Though Organization Killed NPS Officer
- WATCH: ‘Palestinian Steve Irwin’ Takes on Giant Snake in Hilarious Video
- WAR ON SPEECH CONTINUES: Conservative Commentator PEPPER SPRAYED At NYU — Professor Says Cops Should BEAT Up ‘Neo-Nazis’
- 20yr-Old Chick Draws Gun on Man Who Ran Over Her Family Members at Funeral
- Robert De Niro Exclaims ‘F**k you, Donald Trump’ During Charity Event — Plans to Prevent the President From…
- For Those of You Who Thought Trump Bankrupted the Secret Service, Here is the Real Story…
- Melania Trump Cuts Pork from First Lady Payroll After Michelle Obama’s Extensive Spending
- Michelle Obama Claims People Don’t Like Her Because of ‘Her Skin Color’
- ‘Mad Dog’ Mattis Issues Statement on North Korea That Makes President Trump’s Look Tame