A former neighbor of San Bernardino shooter Syed Farook bought the ‘assault-style’ rifles used in Wednesday’s massacre, law enforcement officials said.
Authorities on Saturday raided the home of Enrique Marquez, 29, who lived next door to Farook when he lived in Riverside, California.
Farook lived at the home with his wife, parents and siblings for several years before moving 17 miles to Redlands earlier this year.
While Farook has been described as ‘shy’ and an ‘introvert’ by his older sister Saira Khan, he had developed a longstanding friendship with Marquez.
The men are said to have shared a love of working on cars, neighbors told the Los Angeles Times.
Marquez, who has not been charged with a crime, admitted himself to a mental health facility in Long Beach, California, after Wednesday’s attack and has been unavailable for questioning.
A neighbor told NBC News that Marquez and Farook had been friends since childhood, but that they had grown distant in recent months.
Marquez’s stepfather, Gustavo Ramirez told the LA Times on Thursday that he and his wife hadn’t heard from Marquez since Wednesday afternoon.
He said that it was unlike Marquez not to return home, and they were concerned.
Neighbor Sandie Emperador, 30, said she saw Marquez and Farook working together on many occasions fixing cars in Farook’s garage.
Freddy Escamilla, 21, who lived across the street for most of his life, said the men ‘had a common interest in mechanics and cars’.
‘They would walk over to each other’s yards and talk to each other, Escamilla told the Washington Post. ‘It never seemed out of the ordinary.’
Another neighbor, who declined to give her name, said she regularly saw Marquez visit Farook in his home and often saw the two of them laughing together, but that the friendship seemed to end abruptly about three years ago.
Around that time, she said, she was surprised to see them both standing on the street one day without acknowledging one another. After that, she said, she did not see them together again.
Several neighbors said they noticed about two years ago that Farook had begun wearing traditional Pakistani clothing – a long tunic and an Islamic prayer cap. He also began growing his beard out.
Neighbor Phyllis Hoops, 80, said she often saw the Farook family taking a walk together in the evenings.
She said they did not associate with other people in the neighborhood except for Marquez, but that he and Farook would often spend entire days working on cars together.
Police have said the two handguns used in the attack were purchased by Farook and his wife and fellow shooter Tashfeen Malik.
But officials said the other two guns, which were modified ‘assault-style’ weapons, had been purchased by an unidentified third party, which police later suspected to be Marquez, according to ABC News.
Read more: Daily Mail
- After Democrat Attacks Trump, Soldier’s Widow Releases Audio of Phone Call [WATCH]
- World’s Longest Shot Takes 10 Seconds to Wipe Out Target, an ISIS Militant
- NBC Gun “Expert” Caught LYING — Was This An Intentional Move To Push Gun Control?
- WATCH: Slew of Celebrities Ask Americans to ‘Reject’ the NRA, Conceal Carry Do to…
- Disturbing: Grieving Husband Finds Nurse ‘Maintaining Relations’ with His Wife’s Corpse
- ICE Reveals Illegal Alien May Have Caused Devastating California Fires
- Melania Trump Cuts Pork from First Lady Payroll After Michelle Obama’s Extensive Spending
- Democrat Behind Slain Soldier Controversy, ‘I’m a Rockstar Now’ [VIDEO]
- Dude Waves Communist Flag at Trump Rally — Watch What Happens to Him Next
- Watch: Jeff Sessions Goes Bonkers on Sen. Al Franken Over Russia Collusion
- ALL THE SECRETS? JFK Assassination Files to be Released
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- Man Who Identifies as a Woman Heads to Trial for Sexually Assaulting Little Girl in Bathroom
- CONFIRMED: FBI Says Comey Did Draft Letter On Clinton Before Completing the Investigation
- EDEN: A True Story of Sex Slavery in Nevada
- University Cop Shot in the Back of the Head
- Sean Diddy Combs Tweets NFL ‘I… Have a Dream’ Message — Far From Martin Luther King Jr.’s Speech
- Conceal Carrier Avoids Deadly Armed Robbery With One Quick Move [WATCH]