A former neighbor of San Bernardino shooter Syed Farook bought the ‘assault-style’ rifles used in Wednesday’s massacre, law enforcement officials said.
Authorities on Saturday raided the home of Enrique Marquez, 29, who lived next door to Farook when he lived in Riverside, California.
Farook lived at the home with his wife, parents and siblings for several years before moving 17 miles to Redlands earlier this year.
While Farook has been described as ‘shy’ and an ‘introvert’ by his older sister Saira Khan, he had developed a longstanding friendship with Marquez.
The men are said to have shared a love of working on cars, neighbors told the Los Angeles Times.
Marquez, who has not been charged with a crime, admitted himself to a mental health facility in Long Beach, California, after Wednesday’s attack and has been unavailable for questioning.
A neighbor told NBC News that Marquez and Farook had been friends since childhood, but that they had grown distant in recent months.
Marquez’s stepfather, Gustavo Ramirez told the LA Times on Thursday that he and his wife hadn’t heard from Marquez since Wednesday afternoon.
He said that it was unlike Marquez not to return home, and they were concerned.
Neighbor Sandie Emperador, 30, said she saw Marquez and Farook working together on many occasions fixing cars in Farook’s garage.
Freddy Escamilla, 21, who lived across the street for most of his life, said the men ‘had a common interest in mechanics and cars’.
‘They would walk over to each other’s yards and talk to each other, Escamilla told the Washington Post. ‘It never seemed out of the ordinary.’
Another neighbor, who declined to give her name, said she regularly saw Marquez visit Farook in his home and often saw the two of them laughing together, but that the friendship seemed to end abruptly about three years ago.
Around that time, she said, she was surprised to see them both standing on the street one day without acknowledging one another. After that, she said, she did not see them together again.
Several neighbors said they noticed about two years ago that Farook had begun wearing traditional Pakistani clothing – a long tunic and an Islamic prayer cap. He also began growing his beard out.
Neighbor Phyllis Hoops, 80, said she often saw the Farook family taking a walk together in the evenings.
She said they did not associate with other people in the neighborhood except for Marquez, but that he and Farook would often spend entire days working on cars together.
Police have said the two handguns used in the attack were purchased by Farook and his wife and fellow shooter Tashfeen Malik.
But officials said the other two guns, which were modified ‘assault-style’ weapons, had been purchased by an unidentified third party, which police later suspected to be Marquez, according to ABC News.
Read more: Daily Mail
- LMAO: Watch Nancy Pelosi’s Face at the Moment Trump Said, an ‘Imploding Obamacare Disaster’
- REVEALED: Secret Tape of Woman Being Bribed to Accuse Trump of Sexual Harassment
- Family of NYC Terrorist Speak Out — They are ‘Outraged’ by NY Police
- Off-Duty Officer Pulls Gun & Fires During Altercation with Group of Teens — Should He Be Punished?
- WATCH: Little Brother ‘Rescues’ Big Sister from a Fight
- Arkansas Might Remove the Clinton’s Name from Their Airport — Should They Do It?
- CNN Reporter SHAMES 12yr-Old Girls for Not Wanting to See ‘Penises’ in Their Locker Rooms — Preaches Tolerance for…
- Yassmin Abdel-Magied Claims ‘Islam is The MOST Feminist Religion’
- Dear Idiot NYT Writer: Here are THREE Provable Instances of Americans Protecting Their Liberty with Guns
- WATCH: Female ISIS Captives Remove Their Veils and BURN Them
- World Leader Wishes to FORCE Headscarfs on ALL Women…Because Islamophobia
- Bug out Guns: 7 Best Firearms for your Bug out Arsenal
- Savage: Dude Explains Feminism in 2017, ‘You’re a Man. Everything a Man Does is…’ [Video]
- ALLAH ADIOS! Muslim Migrants FINALLY Get Deported from US Under Trump Admin
- Vegetarians Receive Bad News as Scientists Reveal SHOCKING New Discovery About Plants
- Theresa May Targeted by Islamist Terrorists, Less Than a Week After Criticizing Trump
- LMAO! Amy Schumer’s Stand-Up Special BOMBED so Bad Netflix Had to Change Their Ratings Format
- [email protected]: Frozen 1911 is SHOT — Slow Motion Video Shows EXACTLY What Happens [WATCH]