A former neighbor of San Bernardino shooter Syed Farook bought the ‘assault-style’ rifles used in Wednesday’s massacre, law enforcement officials said.
Authorities on Saturday raided the home of Enrique Marquez, 29, who lived next door to Farook when he lived in Riverside, California.
Farook lived at the home with his wife, parents and siblings for several years before moving 17 miles to Redlands earlier this year.
While Farook has been described as ‘shy’ and an ‘introvert’ by his older sister Saira Khan, he had developed a longstanding friendship with Marquez.
The men are said to have shared a love of working on cars, neighbors told the Los Angeles Times.
Marquez, who has not been charged with a crime, admitted himself to a mental health facility in Long Beach, California, after Wednesday’s attack and has been unavailable for questioning.
A neighbor told NBC News that Marquez and Farook had been friends since childhood, but that they had grown distant in recent months.
Marquez’s stepfather, Gustavo Ramirez told the LA Times on Thursday that he and his wife hadn’t heard from Marquez since Wednesday afternoon.
He said that it was unlike Marquez not to return home, and they were concerned.
Neighbor Sandie Emperador, 30, said she saw Marquez and Farook working together on many occasions fixing cars in Farook’s garage.
Freddy Escamilla, 21, who lived across the street for most of his life, said the men ‘had a common interest in mechanics and cars’.
‘They would walk over to each other’s yards and talk to each other, Escamilla told the Washington Post. ‘It never seemed out of the ordinary.’
Another neighbor, who declined to give her name, said she regularly saw Marquez visit Farook in his home and often saw the two of them laughing together, but that the friendship seemed to end abruptly about three years ago.
Around that time, she said, she was surprised to see them both standing on the street one day without acknowledging one another. After that, she said, she did not see them together again.
Several neighbors said they noticed about two years ago that Farook had begun wearing traditional Pakistani clothing – a long tunic and an Islamic prayer cap. He also began growing his beard out.
Neighbor Phyllis Hoops, 80, said she often saw the Farook family taking a walk together in the evenings.
She said they did not associate with other people in the neighborhood except for Marquez, but that he and Farook would often spend entire days working on cars together.
Police have said the two handguns used in the attack were purchased by Farook and his wife and fellow shooter Tashfeen Malik.
But officials said the other two guns, which were modified ‘assault-style’ weapons, had been purchased by an unidentified third party, which police later suspected to be Marquez, according to ABC News.
Read more: Daily Mail
- For Those of You Who Thought Trump Bankrupted the Secret Service, Here is the Real Story…
- BLM Activist Makes List of Requests for White People: ‘give up the home you own to a black or brown family.’
- Armed Intruder Breaks into Family’s Apartment, Tries Raping Daughter — Enter the Pissed Off Father…
- Policewoman Shoots Down 4 Jihadis by Herself — Video Footage Revealed
- Anti-Trump Protester Shot in Groin With Tear-Gas Canister During Phoenix Rally [Video]
- REPORT: Debbie Wasserman Schultz’ IT Aide May Have Sold State Secrets to Russia, Pakistan
- Watch: Hipsters Believe America Should Model Economy Like Venezuela’s to Have Income Equality
- Pope Francis Claims Migrants’ Rights Overrule Importance of National Security
- State Senator Who Called for Trump Assassination is Kicked Out of…
- Question: Should Lawmakers Investigate James Comey and Robert Mueller?
- Bust… A Move? 92yr-Old Woman and Police Officer Have a Dance Off [Watch]
- Chick Lectures Crowd of White Women: ‘I Believe White People Are Born Into Not Being Human’ [Video]
- Hey Ladies: Here is a List of Compact 9mm Concealed Carry Guns that Cost Less Than $600
- VIDEO: Funny Man Jim Carrey Not So Funny Anymore — ‘Cold Dead Hand’ Music Video Mocs Gun Owners
- Neo-Nazi Groups are Now Recognized as Terrorist Organizations — Shouldn’t Black Lives Matter Also?
- Trump’s Border Wall Gets Full Funding with $1.6BIL Price-Tag
- If Trump is Responsible for Death at Charlottesville, Then Isn’t Obama Responsible for these 5 Murders?
- Woman is Stabbed. Two Unarmed Men Try Saving Her, Get Stabbed. Then Dude With Gun Shows Up…