A massive car bomb claimed by Islamic State militants ripped into a national security building in a working class residential neighborhood in Cairo early Thursday, wounding at least 29 people and blowing the facades off nearby buildings.
The blast, which went off around 2 a.m., demolished a wall in front of the government building, smashed its structure and left gaping holes exposing its offices. Of those hurt, 11 were police and soldiers. No deaths were reported.
Glass from blown-out windows littered the surrounding streets in the Shubra el-Kheima neighborhood, at the northern entrance to the capital.
Ambulances and fire trucks rushed to the scene, which was flooded with water from pipes broken by what authorities said were high explosives. The explosion could be heard and felt across the city. State news agency MENA reported the casualties hours later.
Emergency aid chief Ahmed al-Ansari said the wounded were evacuated to nearby hospitals. Wrecked cars stood around the building, as security forces carrying assault rifles patrolled the streets and set up roadblocks to ward off hysterical residents. A crater marked the blast’s apparent position, while a car engine sat where it landed on the other side of street.
The Islamic State group claimed responsibility for the car bombing, saying on its Al-Bayan radio station that “soldiers of the caliphate” had carried it out. A statement issued by their affiliate in Egypt and circulated by supporters online said it was to avenge the execution of six convicted militants in May.
A similar statement emerged last month following a bombing outside the Italian Consulate in Cairo.
Egypt has seen a surge of assaults on security forces since the 2013 military overthrow of Islamist president Mohammed Morsi. Previous large-scale attacks have been claimed by an Islamic State affiliate based in the northern Sinai Peninsula.
Inside his ruined clinic next door to the security building, plastic surgeon Gawad Mahmoud lamented Egypt’s troubles since the military ousted Morsi, the country’s first freely elected president, amid massive protests against his divisive yearlong rule.
Read more: Fox News
- ANTIFA Protester Hits MAGA Man, Then All Hell Breaks Loose [Video]
- Delta Airlines Kicks Ann Coulter Out of Her Seat and Boy Was That the Wrong Decision…
- Cop Mohammed Noor Shot Yoga Teacher From Patrol Car, While Reaching Over His Partner
- Officer Mohamed Noor Refuses to Cooperate With Investigators After Shooting Dead Yoga Teacher
- Trump Admin Wins Second Time with Travel Ban, Strict Enforcement…
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- Watch: Revolver or Semi-Auto for a Conceal Carry Weapon?
- 10,000 New ICE Agents are Ordered to Crackdown on Sanctuary Cities
- Congress Fails to Include Majority of Trump’s Budget Cuts in House GOP Budget Plan
- Haitian Official Who Exposed the Clinton Foundation is Found With Gun-Shot to Head
- Susan Rice Is Not Going to Testify About Unmasking Trump Supporters
- College Students Love Socialism, But Can’t Define It [VIDEO]
- Yoga Teacher Shot Down by Police After Calling in a Possible Assault
- Krauthammer Calls GOP Repeal and Replace an ‘Epic Fail’, Reveals Why in Detail
- This Dude Says ‘Diversity’ is Code Word for ‘Non-White’, Do You Agree? [Video]
- Chris Hemsworth Thinks a Woman Should be the New Bond…
- Kid Rock Releases Senate Platform: ‘If You Work Your Butt Off and Pay Taxes…’
- Harvard Law Professor, Alan Dershowitz: Liberals Searching for ‘Crimes That Don’t Exist’