Carly Fiorina shot into second place in the Republican presidential field on the heels of another strong debate performance, and Donald Trump has lost some support, a new national CNN/ORC poll shows.
The survey, conducted in the three days after 23 million people tuned in to Wednesday night’s GOP debate on CNN, shows that Trump is still the party’s front-runner with 24% support. That, though, is an 8 percentage point decrease from earlier in the month when a similar poll had him at 32%.
Fiorina ranks second with 15% support — up from 3% in early September. She’s just ahead of Ben Carson’s 14%, though Carson’s support has also declined from 19% in the previous poll.
Driving Trump’s drop and Fiorina’s rise: a debate in which 31% of Republicans who watched said Trump was the loser, and 52% identified Fiorina as the winner.
During the CNN debate, Fiorina clashed with Trump over his personal attacks and their business records and scored points for her condemnation of Planned Parenthood.
The top three contenders underscore a key theme in the 2016 race: In a jampacked GOP presidential field, the leading candidates are the only ones who have never held political office.
But one established politician has seen his standing rise after flashing foreign policy chops on the debate stage. Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida — identified as Wednesday’s winner by 14% of Republicans, putting him second behind Fiorina — is now in fourth place with 11% support, up from 3% in a previous poll.
In fifth place is former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, at 9%. He’s followed by Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee at 6% each, Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky at 4%, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie at 3%, Ohio Gov. John Kasich at 2% and former Sen. Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania at 1%.
Five other candidates received less than one-half of 1 percentage point support: former Virginia Gov. Jim Gilmore, Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, former New York Gov. George Pataki and Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker.
Walker’s collapse is especially stark.
Read more: CNN
- Gun-Control Fact Sheet: If There are Any Facts to Refute the Gun-Control Argument, It’s These
- Hundreds of Teachers Sign Up for Concealed Carry Class
- No Liberals, America is NOT the Worst Western Country When it Comes to Mass Shootings
- CNN’s Chris Cuomo Tries Peddling False Report on Buying an “AR-15 in Five Minutes”
- Billy Graham’s Final Message to the World Before He Passed Away
- Gun Controllers Post ‘Kill the NRA’ Billboard — Organization Behind it Will Shock You
- One School has Armed Their Staff with Guns After Florida Shooting — Good Idea?
- Sex Robot Conference Proposes Child Sex Bots to ‘Cure’ Pedophilia
- ISIS Gives New Meaning to Craigslist Killers, Lures Hostages by…
- BARF IT’S HARF: Watch State Dep. Marie Harf’s Latest Interview, It’s Worse than her Last One
- WATCH: California Teacher Calls Military ‘Lowest of Our Low’
- The Hero Coach Who Saved Dozens of Students by Sacrificing Himself
- Watch: Laura Ingraham Tells LeBron James to ‘Shut Up and Dribble’ After His Trump Comment
- WATCH: When This Thug is Caught Messing with This Man’s Wife Things Get Bad Real Quick
- WATCH: Classmate of Nikolas Cruz Reported Him Multiple Times and Claims ‘He talked about killing our friends’
- Army Awards Slain JROTC Cadets for Their Heroism During Parkland School Shooting
- Exposed: Maxine Waters Lives in Highly Segregated Wealthy Community, No Where Near Her Represented District