Russell Moore, president of the Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission of the Southern Baptist Convention, said on Wednesday that when it comes to Southern Baptist churches and other Christian pastors caving in on the traditional definition of marriage — between one man and one woman — “that’s not going to happen.”
“I think there are a lot of people who assume, and especially secular progressives, who assume, if we just apply some pressure here, some cultural pressure, some political pressure, then the Catholic Church is going to cave,” said Moore during a Politico breakfast event in Washington, D.C.
He continued, “The Evangelicals are going to cave. The Mormons are going to cave, and they’re just going to say, ‘Forget what we said before about marriage and sexuality.’”
“And that’s not going to happen,” said Moore. “Because it can’t happen.”
“This isn’t something that’s incidental to what we believe,” he said. “We believe that marriage and sexuality are covenantal pictures of the union of Christ and His church. And we believe that it has eternal consequences for the wellbeing and the souls of the people who participate in those things.”
“And you’re not going to be able to get rid of those things without getting rid of Biblical text,” said Moore, “and ultimately without getting rid of Jesus.”
In its 5-4 decision on June 26 to strike down state bans on gay marriage, the Supreme Court “unleash[ed] a new constitutional right” with “almost endless permutations” that are “not going to be settled by a presidential election or two, or a congressional election or two,” Moore said.
“I think it’s going to have implications that are far-reaching, and its going to have implications that people aren’t even seeing right now,” he predicted.
”But as a Christian, I have a long-term view of history that is a hopeful view of history, and I think marriage is resilient,” he said. “I think that marriage is something that God embedded in the natural order, and it can’t simply be expanded away or redefined away. And so I think marriage will be back.”
Read more: cnsnews.com
- ANTIFA Protester Hits MAGA Man, Then All Hell Breaks Loose [Video]
- Alert: 18 ‘ISIS Fighters’ Have Been Executed in Libya
- Fast & Furious Eric Holder Attacks Trump for Corruption
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- Female Hunter Commits Suicide After Being Threatened by Animal Rights Activists
- Watch: Elderly Man Shoots Tires of AT&T Truck — Is This Wrong?
- When the Creatures of WALMART are Photographed…
- Maryland’s Gun Ban to be Reviewed by Supreme Court…
- Gang of 4 Stalk 50yr-Old Woman, ‘Forced Her to Perform Oral Sex at Gunpoint’ [Video]
- Python Swallows Deer Whole in Seconds in Jaw Dropping Video, Or So We Think…
- Chick Kills Her 14yr-Old Sister While Driving Under Influence and Live Streams it, ‘I killed my sister, but I don’t care.’ [Video]
- Delta Airlines Kicks Ann Coulter Out of Her Seat and Boy Was That the Wrong Decision…
- If You Wear a Miniskirt in Saudi Arabia, Here is What Happens…
- Starbucks Customer Nails Armed Robber with Chair and Saves the Day [Watch]
- Report Reveals Officer Mohamed Noor was a ‘Diversity’ Hire for Police Station
- ‘Religion of Peace’ Imam Preaches “O Muslim, O Servant of Allah, There is a Jew Behind me, Come And KILL HIM”
- The Best and the Rightest
- ALERT: Obama’s IRS Targeting WAY Worse Than We Thought [DOCUMENTS LEAKED]