Russell Moore, president of the Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission of the Southern Baptist Convention, said on Wednesday that when it comes to Southern Baptist churches and other Christian pastors caving in on the traditional definition of marriage — between one man and one woman — “that’s not going to happen.”
“I think there are a lot of people who assume, and especially secular progressives, who assume, if we just apply some pressure here, some cultural pressure, some political pressure, then the Catholic Church is going to cave,” said Moore during a Politico breakfast event in Washington, D.C.
He continued, “The Evangelicals are going to cave. The Mormons are going to cave, and they’re just going to say, ‘Forget what we said before about marriage and sexuality.’”
“And that’s not going to happen,” said Moore. “Because it can’t happen.”
“This isn’t something that’s incidental to what we believe,” he said. “We believe that marriage and sexuality are covenantal pictures of the union of Christ and His church. And we believe that it has eternal consequences for the wellbeing and the souls of the people who participate in those things.”
“And you’re not going to be able to get rid of those things without getting rid of Biblical text,” said Moore, “and ultimately without getting rid of Jesus.”
In its 5-4 decision on June 26 to strike down state bans on gay marriage, the Supreme Court “unleash[ed] a new constitutional right” with “almost endless permutations” that are “not going to be settled by a presidential election or two, or a congressional election or two,” Moore said.
“I think it’s going to have implications that are far-reaching, and its going to have implications that people aren’t even seeing right now,” he predicted.
”But as a Christian, I have a long-term view of history that is a hopeful view of history, and I think marriage is resilient,” he said. “I think that marriage is something that God embedded in the natural order, and it can’t simply be expanded away or redefined away. And so I think marriage will be back.”
Read more: cnsnews.com
- ‘YOU SHOULD HAVE STAYED IN AFRICA’: Group of Black People Taunt BIKINI-CLAD Woman, She Instantly Loses Her Sh*t [VIDEO]
- WATCH: Sarah Palin Says She’s Never Been Sexually Harassed Because Everyone Knows She Has a…
- REPORT: Hillary Got ‘PHYSICALLY VIOLENT’ After Losing–ATTACKED Staff and Had to be ‘Restrained’
- Watch: When Americans ‘Steal’ Illegal Immigrants’ Job
- Skinny Dipping Biden: Female Secret Service Agents Hate Being Assigned to Biden, But Hillary is Worse
- Bug out Guns: 7 Best Firearms for your Bug out Arsenal
- FLASHBACK: Bill Clinton ‘Jokes’–Sometimes I Wish I Weren’t Married
- Bill Clinton Finally Being Targeted for His Sexual Abuse to Women [WATCH]
- CNN Commentator: When it Come to Criticizing NFL Players “White People Don’t Get to…”
- Ex-Obama Official, Rosa Brooks, Suggest MILITARY COUP to Get Rid of Trump… Good Luck Lady
- Jimmy Kimmel Writes ‘Dear Crazies’ Tweet to Gun Owners — Is He Out Of Line?
- When the Creatures of WALMART are Photographed…
- The Rifle Mass Shooter Devin Patrick Kelley Used and How he was DENIED License to Carry
- Self-Defense When Bugging Out: 7 Tips to Keep In Mind
- Gun Yoga, Is It a Real Thing? [WATCH]
- VIDEO: Hillary Cries Hysterically After Losing–Blames Comey & Obama
- Going Pig Hunting: The NYPD is Prepared to Arrest Weinstein for Raping…
- Sharia Law Is Coming To A Neighborhood Near You