Russell Moore, president of the Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission of the Southern Baptist Convention, said on Wednesday that when it comes to Southern Baptist churches and other Christian pastors caving in on the traditional definition of marriage — between one man and one woman — “that’s not going to happen.”
“I think there are a lot of people who assume, and especially secular progressives, who assume, if we just apply some pressure here, some cultural pressure, some political pressure, then the Catholic Church is going to cave,” said Moore during a Politico breakfast event in Washington, D.C.
He continued, “The Evangelicals are going to cave. The Mormons are going to cave, and they’re just going to say, ‘Forget what we said before about marriage and sexuality.’”
“And that’s not going to happen,” said Moore. “Because it can’t happen.”
“This isn’t something that’s incidental to what we believe,” he said. “We believe that marriage and sexuality are covenantal pictures of the union of Christ and His church. And we believe that it has eternal consequences for the wellbeing and the souls of the people who participate in those things.”
“And you’re not going to be able to get rid of those things without getting rid of Biblical text,” said Moore, “and ultimately without getting rid of Jesus.”
In its 5-4 decision on June 26 to strike down state bans on gay marriage, the Supreme Court “unleash[ed] a new constitutional right” with “almost endless permutations” that are “not going to be settled by a presidential election or two, or a congressional election or two,” Moore said.
“I think it’s going to have implications that are far-reaching, and its going to have implications that people aren’t even seeing right now,” he predicted.
”But as a Christian, I have a long-term view of history that is a hopeful view of history, and I think marriage is resilient,” he said. “I think that marriage is something that God embedded in the natural order, and it can’t simply be expanded away or redefined away. And so I think marriage will be back.”
Read more: cnsnews.com
- WATCH: Bernie Sanders FREAKS When His Gun Policy is Exposed by Chuck Todd
- 2 Men Guilty of Gang Raping 13-Year-Old Girl Sentenced to Probation
- WATCH: Sarah Sanders Hammers the Media for Criticizing Trump’s MS-13 ‘Animals’ Comment
- ‘Caravan’ of Refugees Climb U.S.-Mexico Border While Chanting, “Yes We Can!”
- Bad Parents: Baby Found Starved Nearly To Death By Lazy Parents
- Santa Fe School Shooter Killed High School Crush During Attack
- WATCH: Katy Perry Forces Kiss on American Idol Contestant, is He a #MeToo Victim?
- AUDIO: Police Release Starbucks Recording that Proves Racism is NOT the Issue, Entitlement is
- Trump Ends Worst Obama-Era Policy: ‘America will not be held hostage to nuclear blackmail.’
- Target: Man in Woman’s Bathroom Exposes Himself to Child
- Jennifer Lawrence Has Quit Acting to ‘Save Our Democracy’ from Donald Trump