Russell Moore, president of the Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission of the Southern Baptist Convention, said on Wednesday that when it comes to Southern Baptist churches and other Christian pastors caving in on the traditional definition of marriage — between one man and one woman — “that’s not going to happen.”
“I think there are a lot of people who assume, and especially secular progressives, who assume, if we just apply some pressure here, some cultural pressure, some political pressure, then the Catholic Church is going to cave,” said Moore during a Politico breakfast event in Washington, D.C.
He continued, “The Evangelicals are going to cave. The Mormons are going to cave, and they’re just going to say, ‘Forget what we said before about marriage and sexuality.’”
“And that’s not going to happen,” said Moore. “Because it can’t happen.”
“This isn’t something that’s incidental to what we believe,” he said. “We believe that marriage and sexuality are covenantal pictures of the union of Christ and His church. And we believe that it has eternal consequences for the wellbeing and the souls of the people who participate in those things.”
“And you’re not going to be able to get rid of those things without getting rid of Biblical text,” said Moore, “and ultimately without getting rid of Jesus.”
In its 5-4 decision on June 26 to strike down state bans on gay marriage, the Supreme Court “unleash[ed] a new constitutional right” with “almost endless permutations” that are “not going to be settled by a presidential election or two, or a congressional election or two,” Moore said.
“I think it’s going to have implications that are far-reaching, and its going to have implications that people aren’t even seeing right now,” he predicted.
”But as a Christian, I have a long-term view of history that is a hopeful view of history, and I think marriage is resilient,” he said. “I think that marriage is something that God embedded in the natural order, and it can’t simply be expanded away or redefined away. And so I think marriage will be back.”
Read more: cnsnews.com
- Hijab-Wearing Woman Becomes New Hair Model for L’Oreal. We Aren’t Joking. [Watch]
- Watch: Security Footage Captures Dramatic Shoot-Out Between Cops and Armed Robbers
- Newsweek: ‘Hillary Clinton could still become president if Russia probe finds conspiracy evidence’
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- Psychologist Answers Journalist’s Question ‘Why should your right to freedom of speech trump a trans person’s right not to be offended?’ — Leaves Her Speechless [Watch]
- ICE to Crack Down on California the Sanctuary State
- Melania Trump Cuts Pork from First Lady Payroll After Michelle Obama’s Extensive Spending
- Report: DHS to File Criminal Charges Against Sanctuary City Politicians
- New Details: Thirteen Children Living in ‘House of Horrors’ Were Only Allowed to Shower Twice a Year, Among Other Cruel Treatment
- Pope Francis Claims Migrants’ Rights Overrule Importance of National Security
- Nationwide Manhunt for This POS — Murdered Multiple Women, Considered Armed and Dangerous
- Actors Blame Trump for Hawaii False Alarm — Jim Carrey “We are headed for suffering beyond all imagination.”
- Watch: Two Chicks are Boarding a Sailboat to Fight Poaching, Totally Bad*ss
- Oakland Mayor Vows to Go to Jail to Protect Sanctuary City
- Allah Adios: Muslim Migrants Finally Get Deported from US Under Trump Admin
- Trump Rioters During Inauguration Day Find Out What “Justice” Means
- WOW: Is Obama FORCING Trump Out of the Oval Office?
- Insane! Man Faces Jail Time for ‘Disturbing’ Manatees by Throwing Bucket of…