The Minnesota dentist who was at the receiving end of a global backlash after he killed a beloved African lion will not be charged, it was revealed Monday.
Zimbabwe officials say Walter Palmer had all the appropriate paperwork in order before he killed Cecil the Lion this summer,Sky News reports.
‘We approached the police and then the Prosecutor General, and it turned out that Palmer came to Zimbabwe because all the papers were in order,’ Environment Minister Oppah Muchinguri-Kashiri said on Monday.
Cecil was a fixture in the vast Hwange National Park and had been fitted with a GPS collar as part of Oxford University lion research.
Palmer said he shot the big cat with the black mane using an arrow from his compound bow outside the park’s borders but it didn’t die immediately. He disputed conservationist accounts that the wounded lion wandered for 40 hours and was finished off with a gun, saying it was tracked down the next day and killed with an arrow.
‘If I had known this lion had a name and was important to the country or a study obviously I wouldn’t have taken it,’ Palmer said. ‘Nobody in our hunting party knew before or after the name of this lion.’
In a September interview with the Associated Press, the avid sportsman shut off several lines of inquiry about the hunt, including how much he paid for it or others he has undertaken.
No videotaping or photographing of the interview was allowed. During the 25-minute interview, Palmer gazed intensely at his questioners, often fiddling with his hands and turning occasionally to an adviser, Joe Friedberg, to field questions about the fallout and his legal situation.
Read more: dailymail.co.uk
- Pedophile Imprisoned for Sexually Abusing Young Boy is Found Dead in Jail
- Watch: Psychologist Leaves Reporter Speechless Defending the Right to Free Speech vs. Someone’s ‘Right’ To Not Be Offended
- Tragic: Young Boy Attempting to Save Paralyzed Father from Fire Dies
- LOL: Trump Thanks Democrats for Shutting Down the Government on His One Year Presidential Anniversary
- Watch: Two Chicks are Boarding a Sailboat to Fight Poaching, Totally Bad*ss
- Allah Adios: Muslim Migrants Finally Get Deported from US Under Trump Admin
- EPIC: Loan Asian Man Silences Group of Protestors with One Simple Phrase [WATCH]
- Pope Francis Claims Migrants’ Rights Overrule Importance of National Security
- Hijab-Wearing Woman Becomes New Hair Model for L’Oreal. We Aren’t Joking. [Watch]
- REVEALED: Secret Tape of Woman Being Bribed to Accuse Trump of Sexual Harassment
- Oakland Mayor Vows to Go to Jail to Protect Sanctuary City
- Trump Rioters During Inauguration Day Find Out What “Justice” Means
- WALK OF SHAME: ISIS Commander Forced to Walk Nude to His Execution
- U.S. Warns Iran of Military Action, They Respond With a Slap to Our Face — Is it Time to Hit Back?
- Oprah: Supports Jihad, Genocide, and Falsely Accuses People of Racism
- Robert de Niro Loses His Mind in Speech: President Trump is a ‘F***ing Fool,’ ‘F***ing Idiot’ [Watch]
- Watch: Video Reveals Twitter Engineers Purposely Censor People They ‘Disagree With’
- Melania Trump Cuts Pork from First Lady Payroll After Michelle Obama’s Extensive Spending