The Minnesota dentist who was at the receiving end of a global backlash after he killed a beloved African lion will not be charged, it was revealed Monday.
Zimbabwe officials say Walter Palmer had all the appropriate paperwork in order before he killed Cecil the Lion this summer,Sky News reports.
‘We approached the police and then the Prosecutor General, and it turned out that Palmer came to Zimbabwe because all the papers were in order,’ Environment Minister Oppah Muchinguri-Kashiri said on Monday.
Cecil was a fixture in the vast Hwange National Park and had been fitted with a GPS collar as part of Oxford University lion research.
Palmer said he shot the big cat with the black mane using an arrow from his compound bow outside the park’s borders but it didn’t die immediately. He disputed conservationist accounts that the wounded lion wandered for 40 hours and was finished off with a gun, saying it was tracked down the next day and killed with an arrow.
‘If I had known this lion had a name and was important to the country or a study obviously I wouldn’t have taken it,’ Palmer said. ‘Nobody in our hunting party knew before or after the name of this lion.’
In a September interview with the Associated Press, the avid sportsman shut off several lines of inquiry about the hunt, including how much he paid for it or others he has undertaken.
No videotaping or photographing of the interview was allowed. During the 25-minute interview, Palmer gazed intensely at his questioners, often fiddling with his hands and turning occasionally to an adviser, Joe Friedberg, to field questions about the fallout and his legal situation.
Read more: dailymail.co.uk
- Santa Fe School Shooter Killed High School Crush During Attack
- BREAKING: FBI, DOJ Broke Law in Clinton Email Probe — Inspector General Declares
- Professor Who Called Trump’s Win ‘an Act of Terrorism’ Will Receive This as a Reward
- WINNING! California FORCED to Return 500+ Guns to Dealer After Seizing Them For…
- JUST AS EVIL: Women of Islamic State Are More Brutal than the Men for Doing This
- VETPAW: Anti-Poaching Unit Shut-Down because this Woman Said…
- Barbara Bush Hating Professor: ‘Why I Can’t Stand White Belly Dancers’
- Pelosi Kicks Off Campaign Season With Perfect Gift to GOP [WATCH]
- WATCH: Former Police Officer Shocked to See What His Son’s School Replaced the American Flag With
- ‘I’M WORRIED ABOUT YOU’: Watch Jon Stewart Call Out Wolf Blitzer’s Baltimore Blunder
- Poll: David Hogg Has Officially Become Irrelevant — Do You LOVE This?
- TIGHT SQUEEZE: Bear Attempts Breaking into Man’s House but Gets Caught in the Act, Literally
- DEAR AMERICA: Should Donald Trump ACCEPT This Executive Order on the Second Amendment?