HONG KONG — It was heralded as the first concrete step taken by the United States and China on the thorny issue of cyberespionage.
With President Xi Jinping of China beside him at a news conference in the White House Rose Garden last month, President Obama said the two had come to an agreement that China and the United States would refrain from cyberattacks aimed at pilfering company intellectual property or trade secrets for commercial advantage.
Less than a day after that announcement and after Mr. Xi had met in Seattle with the executives of leading American technology companies, a hacking group accused of having links to the Chinese government attacked one such company, looking for trade secrets.
In a blog post on Monday, the security services provider CrowdStrike, based in Irvine, Calif., said that it had tracked a number of attacks on American tech and pharmaceutical companies leading up to and after Mr. Xi’s visit to the United States last month. (Mr. Xi has been logging airtime, making his first state visit to Britain this week.)
“We detected and stopped the actors, so no exfiltration of customer data actually took place,” according to the post, written by the CrowdStrike co-founder and chief technology officer Dmitri Alperovitch.
But more problematic, he wrote in the post, was that the attacks had continued in the three weeks since Washington and Beijing signed the cybersecurity agreement.
The news of further hacking attempts is likely to put new pressure on the countries’ agreement to limit attacks on private companies. A number of analysts had already expressed skepticism that the accord would lead to concrete changes in a Chinese policy they say has sought for years to plunder secrets from companies in the United States.
Read more: NY Times
- Young Woman Attacked and Stabbed — Turns the Table on Her Attacker and Gets His Knife
- One Student SUSPENDED for Not Walking Out During Anti-Gun Protest
- REPORT: Facebook’s Algorithm Change Boosting Liberals, Silencing Conservatives
- WATCH: Tennessee Students Start Fighting, Tear Down American Flag During Anti-Gun ‘Walkout’ Protest
- WINNING! California FORCED to Return 500+ Guns to Dealer After Seizing Them For…
- Nikolas Cruz ‘Smiling and Laughing’ in Life Behind Bars
- Student David Hogg Demands People ‘Work Together’, But Calls the NRA ‘Child Murderers’
- REPORT: US was Running Guns Through Benghazi to Syria and Hillary Lied About it Under Oath
- Second Amendment Group Has Surge of Membership at 1200% for 18-20 Year-Olds
- California Appoints Illegal Alien to Office
- PRO GUN WIN: See How this Judge Just Changed the Game for Gun Owners
- Dear Idiot NYT Writer: Here are THREE Provable Instances of Americans Protecting Their Liberty with Guns
- Haitian Official Who Exposed the Clinton Foundation is Found With Gun-Shot to Head
- Dropped: Charges Against the Bundy Family are Dismissed
- Black Panther Trailer, ‘World is Changing… Soon There will be the Conquered and the Conquerors’
- DETAINED BUT READY TO MINGLE: Osama bin Laden’s Associate Creates Dating Profile from Gitmo
- Parkland High School: Broward County Sheriff Captain Who Ordered Officers to Secure “Perimeter” Identified
- Savage: Dude Explains Feminism in 2017, ‘You’re a Man. Everything a Man Does is…’ [Video]