HONG KONG — It was heralded as the first concrete step taken by the United States and China on the thorny issue of cyberespionage.
With President Xi Jinping of China beside him at a news conference in the White House Rose Garden last month, President Obama said the two had come to an agreement that China and the United States would refrain from cyberattacks aimed at pilfering company intellectual property or trade secrets for commercial advantage.
Less than a day after that announcement and after Mr. Xi had met in Seattle with the executives of leading American technology companies, a hacking group accused of having links to the Chinese government attacked one such company, looking for trade secrets.
In a blog post on Monday, the security services provider CrowdStrike, based in Irvine, Calif., said that it had tracked a number of attacks on American tech and pharmaceutical companies leading up to and after Mr. Xi’s visit to the United States last month. (Mr. Xi has been logging airtime, making his first state visit to Britain this week.)
“We detected and stopped the actors, so no exfiltration of customer data actually took place,” according to the post, written by the CrowdStrike co-founder and chief technology officer Dmitri Alperovitch.
But more problematic, he wrote in the post, was that the attacks had continued in the three weeks since Washington and Beijing signed the cybersecurity agreement.
The news of further hacking attempts is likely to put new pressure on the countries’ agreement to limit attacks on private companies. A number of analysts had already expressed skepticism that the accord would lead to concrete changes in a Chinese policy they say has sought for years to plunder secrets from companies in the United States.
Read more: NY Times
- OBAMA: ‘People Will Look Back… And See I Was Right And Trump Was Wrong’
- CNN Reporter SHAMES 12yr-Old Girls for Not Wanting to See ‘Penises’ in Their Locker Rooms — Preaches Tolerance for…
- Feminist Lawyer Attempted to Bribe Women Who Accused Trump of Sexual Misconduct
- REVEALED: Obama’s State Department Made Deal with Hillary Clinton to Keep Certain Documents Secret
- WATCH: CNN Anchor Says Americans Should Wear HIJABS to Show Solidarity to Fearful Muslims
- Off-Duty Officer Pulls Gun & Fires During Altercation with Group of Teens — Should He Be Punished?
- Arkansas Might Remove the Clinton’s Name from Their Airport — Should They Do It?
- REVEALED: Secret Tape of Woman Being Bribed to Accuse Trump of Sexual Harassment
- Yassmin Abdel-Magied Claims ‘Islam is The MOST Feminist Religion’
- Gator Bites Man While Bathing in Pond: “It ate his toes off.”
- LMAO: Watch Nancy Pelosi’s Face at the Moment Trump Said, an ‘Imploding Obamacare Disaster’
- TRUMP: Democrats Using Fabricated Stories from Women After Failed Russia Collusion Case
- LEAKED: James Comey’s Shocking Edits to His Public Statement On Hillary Clinton Probe
- WATCH: Female ISIS Captives Remove Their Veils and BURN Them
- WATCH: Chicago Declared ‘Trump-Free Zone’
- GROSS: Michelle Tells Crowd She’s A Sex Symbol — And It Blows Up In Her Face
- POLL: Is It Time for Mueller to Resign?
- Trump Wins: Bill Moves Forward to Expose Congressional Sexual Harassers