Chinese military officials and soldiers described the grim task of removing hundreds of bodies from the salvaged wreckage of the capsized Eastern Star cruise ship Saturday as busloads of families were borne down to the banks of the Yangtze River to mourn the dead.
Authorities said Saturday afternoon that after working through the night, they had recovered a total of 396 corpses and their search of the vessel was now complete. Fourteen people survived Monday night’s tragedy, and 46 people remain unaccounted for. Only six of the 396 recovered bodies were found outside the ship.
As soldiers and other personnel worked through the night wearing white hazmat suits and life jackets, searching with flashlights, they said they encountered hallways jammed with furniture and other debris. At times, the stench inside the ship was overpowering and many bodies were swollen, stiff or decomposed. Locked cabin doors and rooms filled with mud and silt also hampered the recovery work, and firefighters were called in at times to clear passageways.
More than 700 troops were tasked with removing the victims; a team of six was assigned to each body. Because the Eastern Star overturned in a remote area, the bodies had to be carried more than two miles to the closest road, then transported in vehicles to the mortuary in Jianli, a small agricultural town.
“When we entered the cabins, we all felt overcome by emotion,” said Zeng Xianmei, chief nurse at the paramilitary hospital in the nearby metropolis of Wuhan, choking up at a news conference.
Liu Xiaowu, chief of staff of a brigade from Guangzhou, said he was particularly determined to recover the remains of the youngest passenger, a 3-year-old girl on a trip with her grandparents. Her body was found in a first-class cabin on the upper deck.
“When our soldiers finally discovered her body, they all cried,” he said. “We all have children.”
Liu and other officials said work would now begin to collect victims’ personal effects from the Eastern Star.
Zhang Shifeng of the Ministry of Civil Affairs said authorities had worked out a standard for processing the bodies and that DNA had been collected from the 387 corpses that had arrived at mortuaries by Saturday afternoon.
Read more: Chicago Tribune
- REVEALED: Secret Tape of Woman Being Bribed to Accuse Trump of Sexual Harassment
- NYC Terrorist Speaks: Christmas Decorations Inspired Him to Attack
- Trump’s Sexual Harassment Accusers Sit Down With Megyn Kelly
- Family of NYC Terrorist Speak Out — They are ‘Outraged’ by NY Police
- WATCH: Kate Steinle Memorial Ruined by Violent Antifa Protesters
- TRUMP: Democrats Using Fabricated Stories from Women After Failed Russia Collusion Case
- GROSS: He/She Artist Collects 200 Gallons of Urine to Protest Trump — Demonstrates How [VIDEO]
- ALLAH ADIOS! Muslim Migrants FINALLY Get Deported from US Under Trump Admin
- Photo Gallery
- GROSS: Michelle Tells Crowd She’s A Sex Symbol — And It Blows Up In Her Face
- NYC Terrorist Akayed Ullah: ‘Trump You Failed to Protect Your Nation’
- Dangerous Standoff With Armed Robber and Father Ends With the Bad Guy Dying
- WATCH: Why LIBERAL WOMEN are Saying ‘F–k NO!’ To Voting Hillary — HILARIOUS
- Theresa May Targeted by Islamist Terrorists, Less Than a Week After Criticizing Trump
- New Muslim Barbie Comes Dressed in Hijab and Hatred Towards President Trump
- WATCH: Hundreds of Paratroopers Drop from Sky in Most Epic Display of ‘AMERICA’
- WATCH: Conceal Carry Reciprocity Bill Has Major Gun Control Bill Attached to it?
- ISIS Has Been Defeated