Security is being ramped up across the United States as citizens begin to celebrate the July 4 weekend.
The Department of Homeland Security and the FBI have issued a bulletin to 18,000 law enforcement agencies nationwide to be on alert, warning that ISIS sympathizers may try to stage attacks.
U.S. Park Police Chief Robert MacLean has said: ‘Our nation is under threat, our law enforcement, our military are under threat, so we take the threat seriously.’
The FBI has set up commander centers in 56 of all its field offices across the United States to monitor any potential terrorist threats.
The move comes amid growing fears that the terror group ISIS is working to awaken sleeper cells in Western nations, after sympathizers were linked to three back-to-back attacks in France, Kuwait and Tunisia last Friday.
While the FBI says there has been no specific credible threat so far, it seems to be more active in its warnings and actions ahead of Independence Day this year than previously.
And some incidents have already sparked concerns among the general public.
Bryan Scott Wolfinger, a 25-year-old sergeant, sparked panic at Cross Creek Mall in Fayetteville, North Carolina last night when he was allegedly spotted wandering through the mall armed.
Fayetteville Police have now charged him with ‘going armed to the terror of the public’ after it was claimed he had simply arrived to have his photo taken and posed no threat.
On Thursday an Army soldier was arrested and charged after he was caught walking through a shopping mall with an assault rifle, ammunition and bulletproof vest.
On the same day there was chaos in Washington D.C. following reports of an active shooter at a naval yard.
But the threat turned out to be a false alarm.
The U.S. Air Force has already cancelled planned Independence Day celebrations at a Norfolk RAF base due to the increased risk of a Jihadi terror attack.
The two-day festival was due to be hosted by U.S crew based in RAF Lakenheath and Mildenhall, home to the 48th Fighter Wing at the nearby RAF Feltwell in Norfolk.
On Thursday, Daily Mail Online revealed the 30 people who have already been arrested this year on U.S soil in a crackdown on ISIS sympathizers.
Read more: dailymail.co.uk
- REVEALED: Secret Tape of Woman Being Bribed to Accuse Trump of Sexual Harassment
- NYC Terrorist Speaks: Christmas Decorations Inspired Him to Attack
- Trump’s Sexual Harassment Accusers Sit Down With Megyn Kelly
- Family of NYC Terrorist Speak Out — They are ‘Outraged’ by NY Police
- WATCH: Kate Steinle Memorial Ruined by Violent Antifa Protesters
- Trump’s Public Statement on Roy Moore Loss and What This Defeat Means for Conservatives
- GROSS: He/She Artist Collects 200 Gallons of Urine to Protest Trump — Demonstrates How [VIDEO]
- ALLAH ADIOS! Muslim Migrants FINALLY Get Deported from US Under Trump Admin
- TRUMP: Democrats Using Fabricated Stories from Women After Failed Russia Collusion Case
- Photo Gallery
- GROSS: Michelle Tells Crowd She’s A Sex Symbol — And It Blows Up In Her Face
- NYC Terrorist Akayed Ullah: ‘Trump You Failed to Protect Your Nation’
- New Muslim Barbie Comes Dressed in Hijab and Hatred Towards President Trump
- WATCH: Hundreds of Paratroopers Drop from Sky in Most Epic Display of ‘AMERICA’
- WATCH: Conceal Carry Reciprocity Bill Has Major Gun Control Bill Attached to it?
- ISIS Has Been Defeated
- REPORT: ‘Nasty Woman’ Throws Her Used TAMPON at a Police Officer
- PETA Director Attacks Single Mother Who Hunts to Feed Her Family