When it was time for three homeless veterans to be laid to rest, with no loved ones to serve as pallbearers, six Detroit high school students stepped forward, setting up a program similar to one they learned about in Cleveland.
As ABC News reports, the volunteers from the University of Detroit Jesuit High School and Academy “rode together to the funeral, carried the casket to the grave and prayed together afterward” for each of the unclaimed veterans. They were apprehensive at first, but ultimately grateful for the experience, which gave them a chance to witness the funeral customs from the Army, Air Force, and Marines.
Funeral home director Terry Desmond said the pallbearer program “says a lot about the school and the young men who attend there.” (The university is an all-male prep school.)
“Their service to the less fortunate honors the dignity of individuals who are mostly out-of-the-view of our society,” added Desmond. He explained that normally staffers from the funeral home serve as pallbearers at services for the homeless, after the county spends 90 days attempting to locate family members.
The Associated Press reports that the students named their program after Joseph of Arimathea, “the wealthy biblical figure many Christians see as the most important pallbearer in history, having cared for Jesus Christ’s body after his crucifixion.” The Detroit program already has 50 volunteers signed up.
The program used by the University of Detroit Jesuit High School and Academy as a model, the St. Joseph of Arimathea Pallbearer Society at St. Ignatius High School in Cleveland, was established in 2002, and has its own Facebook page. It has over 300 members, who have served at more than 500 funerals.
The Facebook page for the University of Detroit Jesuit High School and Academy, which prominently features posts about the establishment of its pallbearer program, can be found here.
Read more: breitbart.com
- WATCH: CNN Busted on Gun-Control Agenda, On Their Own Network
- School Parades Kindergarteners in Gun-Control ‘Walkout’ — Did They Exploit the Children?
- Trey Gowdy Slams McCabe: ‘Fellow Bureau Agents’ Suggested He Be Fired, Not Trump’s Fault
- ‘Nails and Shrapnel’: Bomb Headed to Austin Explodes at FedEx
- PETA Bounty: Alleged Frenchman Kicks Squirrel into Grand Canyon, PETA Places $16K Bounty on His Head
- Why I Killed Jeffrey Dahmer
- VIDEO: Donald Hits Back at CNN–‘The CLINTON News Network’
- Watch: Feminist Wants to Ban the Word “Man” — Tucker Has His Fun
- Obama Repeals ObamaCare
- WATCH: CNN Goes to Gun Range to Shoot AR-15, Proves Gun-Controllers Have No Clue What They are Talking About
- One Student SUSPENDED for Not Walking Out During Anti-Gun Protest
- Self-Proclaimed ‘Trump Supporter’ Breaches Security at Tower With Bag of Weapons & Fireworks… to ‘Study’ for School
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- NAKED SPRING BREAKER FOUND: Un-Harmmed and Underaged, the Female Photographed Came Forward to the Police
- Report: Shooting at Maryland School — Armed Resource Officer Does His Job and Saves Dozens
- Steven Seagal Accused of Sexual Assault
- Barbra Streisand: I’m No #MeToo Victim, I Was Never Sexually Harassed
- KICK THE KICK: New Recoil Pad Takes The Shock Out Of The Shot