The United States and Saudi Arabia have dramatically responded to Russian air-strikes in support of the Assad regime by agreeing to boost their own military and diplomatic support for the Syrian rebels.
John Kerry, the US secretary of state, the King Salman of Saudi Arabia in Riyadh for talks over the weekend. Despite Russian leaders saying they had extracted promises of fresh elections from President Bashar al-Assad, Mr Kerry and the Saudi ruler presented a common front in agreeing to hit the regime harder.
“They pledged to continue and intensify support to the moderate Syrian opposition while the political track is being pursued,” the State Department later said in a statement.
The statement was the first public acknowledgement of a surge in the number of anti-tank missiles that have been passed to specially-vetted rebel groups from the Free Syrian Army since Russian jets joined Syria’s skies at the end of September.
The rebels’ usage of American-made TOW missiles has increased over 800 per cent, slowing regime offensives across the country.
Such a statement would fit previous interventions by the Obama administration, in which commitments to increase supplies to the rebels follow several weeks after the supplies have started to arrive. However, the statement also represents a new determination to take on not only the regime but President Vladimir Putin of Russia.
American and Saudi joint support for rebels, including Islamists, in Afghanistan three decades ago forced Russian troops out and contributed to the collapse of the Soviet Union.
Saudi Arabia’s foreign minister, Adel al-Jubeir, insisted after the meeting that Mr Assad should have no role in Syria’s future, adding there had been some progress in international talks on resolving the conflict.
Yet there are few signs that the armed opposition and most of its international backers are ready to come to the negotiating table, a place they have been before without success.
Read more: telegraph.co.uk
- REPORT: Hillary Got ‘PHYSICALLY VIOLENT’ After Losing–ATTACKED Staff and Had to be ‘Restrained’
- Informant on Clinton, Russia Uranium Deal has been Identified
- Skinny Dipping Biden: Female Secret Service Agents Hate Being Assigned to Biden, But Hillary is Worse
- 9yr-Old Girl Has Some Mad Crazy Handgun Skills [Video]
- Self-Defense When Bugging Out: 7 Tips to Keep In Mind
- VIDEO: Hillary Cries Hysterically After Losing–Blames Comey & Obama
- WATCH: Drake Defends Female Fans After Man Gropes Them During Concert
- Bill Clinton Finally Being Targeted for His Sexual Abuse to Women [WATCH]
- A TASTE OF THEIR OWN MEDICINE: Syrian Rebels Release a Video of Them Shooting Islamic State Militants
- Senator Al Fraken Caught Sexually Harassing a Model
- New Muslim Barbie Comes Dressed in Hijab and Hatred Towards President Trump
- Gun Yoga, Is It a Real Thing? [WATCH]
- THE KILL LIST: Islamic State has Released List of American Cities They Plan on Attacking
- TERRIFYING: Family Trapped in Their Vehicle as LIONS Fight Over Carcass Under the WHEEL
- Texas Shooting: Two Heroes Who Chased Down Shooter Reveal What Happened
- Savage: Dude Explains Feminism in 2017, ‘You’re a Man. Everything a Man Does is…’ [Video]
- WATCH: Judge Jeanine Rips Apart Michael Moore
- Father With a Gun: Daughter Saved by Her Dad After Gang Tries to…