Ahmed Mohamed, the 14-year-old American who captured the world’s attention when he was arrested for bringing a homemade clock to his Texas school last month, met Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir on Thursday in Khartoum.
Mohamed’s case, which saw him pulled out of class and handcuffed when his teacher mistook the makeshift clock for a bomb, ignited outrage across the country and sparked dialogue about prejudice against Muslims in the U.S. In the end, police declined to file charges, but Mohamed decided to leave the school.
He has been applauded internationally, including by President Obama, for creating the clock.
But his visit with al-Bashir during a trip to his ancestral homeland has raised eyebrows, as the president is currently wanted by the International Criminal Court for alleged war crimes in Darfur. The trip comes just days before Mohamed is set to visit the White House.
Al-Bashir has vehemently denied the charges against him, which stem from a war he oversaw in Darfur that began in the early 2000s. The conflict has left millions displaced and hundreds of thousands dead in the years since. Al-Bashir is charged with crimes against humanity, including murder, torture, rape and genocide.
The teen’s father is Mohamed Hassan al-Sufi, a Sudanese immigrant to the U.S. who once ran for president of the nation against al-Bashir and was one of his rivals.
Read more: mashable.com
- Report: Charlottesville’s Neo-Nazi Organizer Was Former Occupy Activist, Supported Obama
- All the Details Behind Car Attack in Charlottesville are Released, Man Behind Wheel Was… [UPDATE]
- Watch: Protesters Destroy Confederate Monument in North Carolina to ‘Smash White Supremacy’
- Black Hawk Helicopter Downed, 5 Crew Members on Board
- Neo-Nazi Groups are Now Recognized as Terrorist Organizations — Shouldn’t Black Lives Matter Also?
- Woman is Stabbed. Two Unarmed Men Try Saving Her, Get Stabbed. Then Dude With Gun Shows Up…
- Mistakes First Time Buyers Make When Buying A Gun And How To Avoid Them
- Charlottesville Police Chief Says Everyone was Guilty of Violence: ‘Mutually Combating Individuals In The Crowd’
- Sharia Law Is Coming To A Neighborhood Near You
- Savage: Dude Explains Feminism in 2017, ‘You’re a Man. Everything a Man Does is…’ [Video]
- CBS Discovers the Brutal Reality of Gun Laws During Interview
- Report: Forensic Experts say DNC was Never Hacked by Russia, An Insider Did the Job
- NO LOVE FOR TRUMP: Glenn Beck Calls Trump’s Wife a Lesbian Porn Star in Facebook Rant
- Baltimore Removes All Confederate Statues in Middle of Night
- Man Teases Bear With Food — Biggest Mistake of His Life
- American Airlines Flight Bursts into Flames During Takeoff in Chicago
- ASHLEY MADISON FOUNDER: Emails Reveal His Wife Might Want to Divorce Him…
- 5 Legal Stupidities on the 9th Circuit Court Keeping it’s Ruling Against Trump’s Travel Ban