Ahmed Mohamed, the 14-year-old American who captured the world’s attention when he was arrested for bringing a homemade clock to his Texas school last month, met Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir on Thursday in Khartoum.
Mohamed’s case, which saw him pulled out of class and handcuffed when his teacher mistook the makeshift clock for a bomb, ignited outrage across the country and sparked dialogue about prejudice against Muslims in the U.S. In the end, police declined to file charges, but Mohamed decided to leave the school.
He has been applauded internationally, including by President Obama, for creating the clock.
But his visit with al-Bashir during a trip to his ancestral homeland has raised eyebrows, as the president is currently wanted by the International Criminal Court for alleged war crimes in Darfur. The trip comes just days before Mohamed is set to visit the White House.
Al-Bashir has vehemently denied the charges against him, which stem from a war he oversaw in Darfur that began in the early 2000s. The conflict has left millions displaced and hundreds of thousands dead in the years since. Al-Bashir is charged with crimes against humanity, including murder, torture, rape and genocide.
The teen’s father is Mohamed Hassan al-Sufi, a Sudanese immigrant to the U.S. who once ran for president of the nation against al-Bashir and was one of his rivals.
Read more: mashable.com
- MSNBC Host Suggests Scalise DESERVED To Be Shot — The Reason Why Will Have You FUMING!
- Why We Carry: Man Punches Girl 39 Times in Empty Parking Lot After ‘Laying in Wait’ [WATCH]
- Dude Starts Freaking When Chick Places Snake on His Lap in Most Hilarious Video
- What Really Killed Otto Warmbier
- Die-In Protesters Against Trump’s Healthcare Bill Get Rude Awakening by Motorcyclist [WATCH]
- ALERT: US Official Arrested For Giving Chinese Agent Top-Secret…
- Migrants Kill Motorist by Dragging Tree-Trunks to Stop Traffic, Hijack Cars
- Hillary Clinton & Co. About to be Stripped of Security Clearance
- National Security Council Unable to Release Susan Rice Documents Because They’re in Obama’s…
- WATCH: Why Poor People Shouldn’t Run the Economy
- Is Obama At Fault For Otto Warmbier’s Death? Victim’s Father Sheds Some Light On The Former President
- Watch: Dude Performs Erotic Drag Show for Elementary & Middle School Kids
- Professor Publishes ‘#LetThemF*ckingDie’ Article About White People, Now Playing The Victim…
- World’s Longest Shot Takes 10 Seconds to Wipe Out Target, an ISIS Militant
- Protesters Interrupt Trump During Time For Prayer — The President’s Reaction Is Priceless
- Photo Gallery
- Chelsea Clinton Falls For Bannon’s Joke — Goes On Bizarre Twitter Rant
- GROSS! What Women are Doing in the Name of Feminism Will Make You Puke