Ahmed Mohamed, the 14-year-old American who captured the world’s attention when he was arrested for bringing a homemade clock to his Texas school last month, met Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir on Thursday in Khartoum.
Mohamed’s case, which saw him pulled out of class and handcuffed when his teacher mistook the makeshift clock for a bomb, ignited outrage across the country and sparked dialogue about prejudice against Muslims in the U.S. In the end, police declined to file charges, but Mohamed decided to leave the school.
He has been applauded internationally, including by President Obama, for creating the clock.
But his visit with al-Bashir during a trip to his ancestral homeland has raised eyebrows, as the president is currently wanted by the International Criminal Court for alleged war crimes in Darfur. The trip comes just days before Mohamed is set to visit the White House.
Al-Bashir has vehemently denied the charges against him, which stem from a war he oversaw in Darfur that began in the early 2000s. The conflict has left millions displaced and hundreds of thousands dead in the years since. Al-Bashir is charged with crimes against humanity, including murder, torture, rape and genocide.
The teen’s father is Mohamed Hassan al-Sufi, a Sudanese immigrant to the U.S. who once ran for president of the nation against al-Bashir and was one of his rivals.
Read more: mashable.com
- After Democrat Attacks Trump, Soldier’s Widow Releases Audio of Phone Call [WATCH]
- Man Who Identifies as a Woman Heads to Trial for Sexually Assaulting Little Girl in Bathroom
- NBC Gun “Expert” Caught LYING — Was This An Intentional Move To Push Gun Control?
- World’s Longest Shot Takes 10 Seconds to Wipe Out Target, an ISIS Militant
- ICE Reveals Illegal Alien May Have Caused Devastating California Fires
- WATCH: Slew of Celebrities Ask Americans to ‘Reject’ the NRA, Conceal Carry Do to…
- Melania Trump Cuts Pork from First Lady Payroll After Michelle Obama’s Extensive Spending
- Democrat Behind Slain Soldier Controversy, ‘I’m a Rockstar Now’ [VIDEO]
- Dude Waves Communist Flag at Trump Rally — Watch What Happens to Him Next
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- Watch: Jeff Sessions Goes Bonkers on Sen. Al Franken Over Russia Collusion
- Disturbing: Grieving Husband Finds Nurse ‘Maintaining Relations’ with His Wife’s Corpse
- Actress Jessica Chastain: Hollywood Rallies Against Trump, But Ignores ‘Sexual Predators In Our Offices’
- Awkward: Compilation Video of Celebrities Thanking Harvey Weinstein Goes Viral [WATCH]
- Haitian Official Who Exposed the Clinton Foundation is Found With Gun-Shot to Head
- CONFIRMED: FBI Says Comey Did Draft Letter On Clinton Before Completing the Investigation
- EDEN: A True Story of Sex Slavery in Nevada
- University Cop Shot in the Back of the Head