April marks the 20th anniversary of the commercialization of the Internet, ironically, the very same month that the FCC’s new Open Internet regulations were officially published, tossing the Internet into a public utility model characterized by stagnation and ambiguity. The rules kill the “permissionless innovation” they purport to protect by inviting the Commission to regulate the Internet via the means created for the 1934 monopoly voice telephone system.
The past two decades of Internet-driven success were set in motion with the passage of the High Performance Computing Act of 1991 from then-Senator Al Gore, which proved to be one of the most successful policy decisions of all time. In recognition of the success of our current Internet reality and how its commercialization transformed daily life, Congress should deem April 30 “Internet Independence Day.”
Officiating Internet Independence Day is an opportunity to initiate bi-partisan legislation preserving the private-sector framework of the Internet.
Americans today enjoy a thousand-fold improvement from dial-up modems 15 million Internet early adopters relied on in the 90s. The Internet today reaches 3 billion people and a proliferation of services push communication options far beyond the long distance phone call of 1995.
Instituting 1930s law designed for the voice telephone is assuredly not the answer. To be clear, the FCC’s new Internet rules are a total reversal of the policies that took the Internet to where it is today. The adoption of these public utility “Title II” provisions in FCC’s order totally reverses course, relying on very thin rationale, and puts 20 years of gains in jeopardy.
Read more: techcrunch.com
- State County to Assign Armed Guards to Every Public School
- WATCH: Former Police Officer Shocked to See What His Son’s School Replaced the American Flag With
- WATCH: David Hogg Attacks Gun Owners in Profanity Laced Rant
- Steven Seagal Accused of Sexual Assault
- YouTube is Banning Gun Content in an Effort to Push Gun-Control
- WATCH: Roseanne Barr Tells Jimmy Kimmel to “Zip That F***ing Lip,” When it Comes to Bashing Trump
- Student David Hogg Demands People ‘Work Together’, But Calls the NRA ‘Child Murderers’
- Young Woman Attacked and Stabbed — Turns the Table on Her Attacker and Gets His Knife
- Meet the Hero School Resource Officer Who Shot Down Maryland Gunman
- Florida’s ‘Teacher of the Year’ Points the Finger at Parents for Mass Shooting Epidemic — ‘Parents, it’s time to step up!’
- Eminem Targets Gun Owners in New Song: ‘They Love Their Guns More Than Our Children’
- SHARK BAIT: Great White Shark Feeds Just Feet from Cape Cod Shore [WATCH]
- DRUNK DRIVER OR TERRORIST? 28 Badly Injured After Man Plows Car Through New Orleans Parade
- One Student SUSPENDED for Not Walking Out During Anti-Gun Protest
- PayPal Founder at RNC: Who Cares About Bathrooms, ‘Fake Culture Wars Only DISTRACT Us from Our ECONOMIC DECLINE’
- Austin Bomber Dead — Blows Himself Up
- JESSE VENTURA: Not Going to See American Sniper Because ‘There is No Honor in Lying’
- CALLING BS ON… Left Wing Gun-Control Memes