Even after supporting the election of President Obama two times, former Secretary of State Colin Powell said he’s still a Republican and he keeps his registration that way for a reason – to annoy them.
The ‘them’ in this context, Powell explained, is a Republican party that has moved too far to the right.
‘I think the party has shifted much further right than where the country is and it should be obvious to party leaders that they cannot keep saying the things that they are saying and doing the things that they were doing and hope to be successful in national level elections in the future, not just 2016,’ Colin said at today’s Washington Ideas Forum taking place in downtown D.C.
‘So I want to continue to be a Republican because it annoys them,’ he said, grinning.
Party ID came up because Aspen Institute head Walter Isaacson pointed to not just Powell’s support of Obama, but his recent expressed support for the Iran deal and several other stances that are more commonly held by Democrats.
‘You didn’t mention the fact that I worked for about five presidents in a row who were Republicans,’ Powell interjected, but then answered the question.
‘Yes, I’m still a Republican,’ said Powell, who most recently served as President George W. Bush’s secretary of state. ‘In Virginia, you don’t have to declare a party, where I live, but I’m still a Republican,’ he added.
Isaacson pointed to Powell’s pro-immigration reform stance as another way he stood out from his GOP peers, but Powell knocked down that assessment – though used the opportunity to needle Republican frontrunner Donald Trump.
‘I don’t agree that it’s the Republican position on immigration,’ Powell said.
‘I think most Republicans understand that we need immigration, we are an immigrant nation, it is in our best interest to do it,’ Powell continued. ‘But there are pockets, as I said previously, there are pockets of intolerance within the Republican party [and] the Republican party had better figure out how to defeat that.’
Read more: dailymail.co.uk
- ANTIFA Protester Hits MAGA Man, Then All Hell Breaks Loose [Video]
- Delta Airlines Kicks Ann Coulter Out of Her Seat and Boy Was That the Wrong Decision…
- Cop Mohammed Noor Shot Yoga Teacher From Patrol Car, While Reaching Over His Partner
- Officer Mohamed Noor Refuses to Cooperate With Investigators After Shooting Dead Yoga Teacher
- Trump Admin Wins Second Time with Travel Ban, Strict Enforcement…
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- Watch: Revolver or Semi-Auto for a Conceal Carry Weapon?
- 10,000 New ICE Agents are Ordered to Crackdown on Sanctuary Cities
- Congress Fails to Include Majority of Trump’s Budget Cuts in House GOP Budget Plan
- Haitian Official Who Exposed the Clinton Foundation is Found With Gun-Shot to Head
- Susan Rice Is Not Going to Testify About Unmasking Trump Supporters
- College Students Love Socialism, But Can’t Define It [VIDEO]
- Yoga Teacher Shot Down by Police After Calling in a Possible Assault
- Krauthammer Calls GOP Repeal and Replace an ‘Epic Fail’, Reveals Why in Detail
- This Dude Says ‘Diversity’ is Code Word for ‘Non-White’, Do You Agree? [Video]
- Chris Hemsworth Thinks a Woman Should be the New Bond…
- Kid Rock Releases Senate Platform: ‘If You Work Your Butt Off and Pay Taxes…’
- Harvard Law Professor, Alan Dershowitz: Liberals Searching for ‘Crimes That Don’t Exist’