While appearing on Sunday’s edition of CBS’s “Face the Nation,” New York Mayor Bill de Blasio claimed America has “a democracy problem” and called for national voting laws, The Hill reported. He also claimed Republicans are working to “repress” voter turnout with laws intended to keep elections honest.
“We have a democracy problem,” he told host John Dickerson. “Our elections are governed by state law and for a long time I’ve believed we need to make a fundamental series of reforms.”
“Let’s face it, a lot of the people in the political class have tried to discourage voter involvement and a lot of incumbents prefer a very small electorate,” he added. The New York mayor also criticized New Jersey Republican Chris Christie for going after Hillary Clinton‘s idea of automatic voter registration and extended early voting, while arguing that states are not the best arbiter of voting laws.
“Secretary Clinton put forward a notion we need a national strategy to energize voting again, to get people involved,” he said. “Obviously, to address the many efforts made by Republicans to repress voter involvement.”
Dickerson, however, observed that New York City — a Democratic stronghold — has very strict voter rules, which Clinton didn’t mention. He asked de Blasio if that undermined her case.
Read more: examiner.com
- For Those of You Who Thought Trump Bankrupted the Secret Service, Here is the Real Story…
- BLM Activist Makes List of Requests for White People: ‘give up the home you own to a black or brown family.’
- When You’re Trying to Riot and Your Mom Shows Up [WATCH]
- Anti-Trump Protester Shot in Groin With Tear-Gas Canister During Phoenix Rally [Video]
- Policewoman Shoots Down 4 Jihadis by Herself — Video Footage Revealed
- Watch: Hipsters Believe America Should Model Economy Like Venezuela’s to Have Income Equality
- State Senator Who Called for Trump Assassination is Kicked Out of…
- REPORT: Debbie Wasserman Schultz’ IT Aide May Have Sold State Secrets to Russia, Pakistan
- Pope Francis Claims Migrants’ Rights Overrule Importance of National Security
- Armed Intruder Breaks into Family’s Apartment, Tries Raping Daughter — Enter the Pissed Off Father…
- Bust… A Move? 92yr-Old Woman and Police Officer Have a Dance Off [Watch]
- Chick Lectures Crowd of White Women: ‘I Believe White People Are Born Into Not Being Human’ [Video]
- Should Antifa be Labeled as a Terror Organization? This Petition Says It Should. [UPDATE]
- ‘I Can’t Thank You Enough’: Wounded Vet Surprises Gary Sinise During Interview [VIDEO]
- Arizona Court Rules Guns are Loaded, Even When Empty…
- Artist Projects 3 Messages on Trump Hotel: “The President of the United States is a Known Racist and Nazi Sympathizer”
- NBA Star Charles Barkley Disses Confederate Statue Obsession — Tells Black Community to Focus on These 3 Things Instead
- Democrat Steve Cohen is Introducing Impeachment Articles for President Trump Over Charlottesville