A seven-year-old boy is reportedly among the three people killed in Austria by a man who ploughed his car into crowds in the country’s second-largest city and then reportedly started stabbing people.
A witness told the Wiener Zeitung newspaper that dead bodies were left lying face down in the road after the vehicle sped through streets near the the historical Herrengasse in Graz.
The killing only stopped when the driver parked his battered car outside a police station.
More than 30 pedestrians, including three children, were hurt at several locations during the rampage and 10 victims were in hospital with serious injuries. One patient was in a critical condition on Saturday afternoon.
The driver, identified by police as a 26-year-old Austrian man of Bosnian heritage, has been arrested. He works as a professional driver and is married with two children.
Police are not currently investigating terrorism as a motive and the suspect is believed to be suffering from mental illness.
Witnesses recounted how the man drove his vehicle into crowds apparently at random, sending pedestrians and cyclists crashing into the windscreen and rolling over the bonnet.
Dr Sea Rotmann, who was nearby, told Sky News: “I had a friend who was there and she saw people flying through the air. She saw bodies lying there, it was absolute chaos and mayhem.
“Apparently the guy was attacking two elderly people with a knife and then attacking police with a knife when he got out.”
Police said the stabbing happened outside a grocery shop, where a man was seriously injured and a woman wounded less severely.
The incident started at around 12.15pm local time (11.15am BST), sending screaming shoppers running into shops for safety.
A statement from the city council said: “At 12pm there was an appalling incident in the centre of Graz, which has caused major alarm and left the city deeply shaken.
“A killer used his car as a weapon and deliberately ran people down on a rampage. The perpetrator is in custody.”
A spokesperson said the killing spree started in Zweiglgasse, where one person died, and the driver continued through the city and over the Schönaugasse bridge to Herrengasse, ploughing into a cafe seating area in the Hauptplatz (main square).
A witness speaking to the Wiener Zeitung compared the sound of chairs and tables being knocked over by the speeding car to a “gunfight”.
Read more: independent.co.uk
- Missing 14yr-Old Girl Found Dead in Landfill, Police Need Your Help
- World’s Longest Shot Takes 10 Seconds to Wipe Out Target, an ISIS Militant
- Die-In Protesters Against Trump’s Healthcare Bill Get Rude Awakening by Motorcyclist [WATCH]
- Democrat on Scalise Shooting: ‘I’m F**king Glad He Got Shot’ [AUDIO]
- ALERT: US Official Arrested For Giving Chinese Agent Top-Secret…
- Delusional Pelosi Won’t Step Down — ‘I’m A Master Legislator!’
- MSNBC Host Suggests Scalise DESERVED To Be Shot — The Reason Why Will Have You FUMING!
- Hillary Clinton: Republicans are the ‘Death Party’
- Video: Muslim Man Attacks Woman In Broad Daylight Because She Was Wearing…
- Is Obama At Fault For Otto Warmbier’s Death? Victim’s Father Sheds Some Light On The Former President
- Clinton Foundation Busted for Taking $1MIL from Qatar and ‘Forgetting’ to Tell Gov. About It
- What Really Killed Otto Warmbier
- National Security Council Unable to Release Susan Rice Documents Because They’re in Obama’s…
- 16-Month-Old Killed After Thug Father Viciously…
- Stevie Wonder Exposes Hypocrisy of Black Lives Matter in Awesome Speech!
- Obama’s Hissy Fit Over New Healthcare Bill: ‘It’s a Transfer of Wealth’
- Watch: One Person’s Fit of Road Rage Backfires, Cause Insane Chain Reaction
- Professor Publishes ‘#LetThemF*ckingDie’ Article About White People, Now Playing The Victim…