A seven-year-old boy is reportedly among the three people killed in Austria by a man who ploughed his car into crowds in the country’s second-largest city and then reportedly started stabbing people.
A witness told the Wiener Zeitung newspaper that dead bodies were left lying face down in the road after the vehicle sped through streets near the the historical Herrengasse in Graz.
The killing only stopped when the driver parked his battered car outside a police station.
More than 30 pedestrians, including three children, were hurt at several locations during the rampage and 10 victims were in hospital with serious injuries. One patient was in a critical condition on Saturday afternoon.
The driver, identified by police as a 26-year-old Austrian man of Bosnian heritage, has been arrested. He works as a professional driver and is married with two children.
Police are not currently investigating terrorism as a motive and the suspect is believed to be suffering from mental illness.
Witnesses recounted how the man drove his vehicle into crowds apparently at random, sending pedestrians and cyclists crashing into the windscreen and rolling over the bonnet.
Dr Sea Rotmann, who was nearby, told Sky News: “I had a friend who was there and she saw people flying through the air. She saw bodies lying there, it was absolute chaos and mayhem.
“Apparently the guy was attacking two elderly people with a knife and then attacking police with a knife when he got out.”
Police said the stabbing happened outside a grocery shop, where a man was seriously injured and a woman wounded less severely.
The incident started at around 12.15pm local time (11.15am BST), sending screaming shoppers running into shops for safety.
A statement from the city council said: “At 12pm there was an appalling incident in the centre of Graz, which has caused major alarm and left the city deeply shaken.
“A killer used his car as a weapon and deliberately ran people down on a rampage. The perpetrator is in custody.”
A spokesperson said the killing spree started in Zweiglgasse, where one person died, and the driver continued through the city and over the Schönaugasse bridge to Herrengasse, ploughing into a cafe seating area in the Hauptplatz (main square).
A witness speaking to the Wiener Zeitung compared the sound of chairs and tables being knocked over by the speeding car to a “gunfight”.
Read more: independent.co.uk
- For Those of You Who Thought Trump Bankrupted the Secret Service, Here is the Real Story…
- When You’re Trying to Riot and Your Mom Shows Up [WATCH]
- BLM Activist Makes List of Requests for White People: ‘give up the home you own to a black or brown family.’
- Anti-Trump Protester Shot in Groin With Tear-Gas Canister During Phoenix Rally [Video]
- Watch: Hipsters Believe America Should Model Economy Like Venezuela’s to Have Income Equality
- Policewoman Shoots Down 4 Jihadis by Herself — Video Footage Revealed
- State Senator Who Called for Trump Assassination is Kicked Out of…
- Bust… A Move? 92yr-Old Woman and Police Officer Have a Dance Off [Watch]
- REPORT: Debbie Wasserman Schultz’ IT Aide May Have Sold State Secrets to Russia, Pakistan
- Pope Francis Claims Migrants’ Rights Overrule Importance of National Security
- Armed Intruder Breaks into Family’s Apartment, Tries Raping Daughter — Enter the Pissed Off Father…
- Chick Lectures Crowd of White Women: ‘I Believe White People Are Born Into Not Being Human’ [Video]
- The Key to Basic Handgun Training? K.I.S.S. [Watch]
- Should Antifa be Labeled as a Terror Organization? This Petition Says It Should. [UPDATE]
- ‘I Can’t Thank You Enough’: Wounded Vet Surprises Gary Sinise During Interview [VIDEO]
- Arizona Court Rules Guns are Loaded, Even When Empty…
- Artist Projects 3 Messages on Trump Hotel: “The President of the United States is a Known Racist and Nazi Sympathizer”
- NBA Star Charles Barkley Disses Confederate Statue Obsession — Tells Black Community to Focus on These 3 Things Instead