A Guantanamo Bay prisoner has an online dating profile.
Muhammad Rahim al-Afghani is looking for love on Match.com from the confines of his prison camp, where he has been held since 2007.
According to his lawyer Carlos Warner, who monitors the account, al-Afghani set up the profile in 2012.
With the location set to ‘Guantanamo Bay’, his tag line reads, ‘detained but ready to mingle’ – and he gets matches every day.
The surprising news has emerged in a set of letters the ‘high-value’ prisoner sent to Warner this summer, seen by Daily Mail Online, in which he jokes about the Ashley Madison hack and his own experience in the field.
‘This is terrible news about Ashley Madison, please remove my profile immediately!!!’ al-Afghani jokes in a letter dated 21 July.
‘I’ll stick with Match.com even though you say it is for old people. There is no way I can do Tinder in here.’
Al-Afghani, who is accused of being a close associate of Osama bin Laden but has not been given a trial, made his foray into the ever-popular world of online dating after reading about the phenomenon in a magazine four years ago, Warner told Daily Mail Online.
With access to satellite television and newspapers, the Afghan detainee has become passionate about modern technology and popular culture beyond the confines of Camp 7.
‘I was visiting him a few years ago and, as always, brought him some magazines,’ Warner explains.
‘At the time online dating wasn’t as big as it is now, and he found it fascinating. He asked if we could set up a profile so I did.
‘We decided on two: Plenty Of Fish and Match.com. But Plenty Of Fish required too much classified information – date of birth, exact location. So we went with Match.com.
‘It’s obviously it’s a bit of satire and unfortunately he doesn’t have a trial or release date, but if he did he would certainly be responding to some of these matches.
‘I still get emails every day with matches from women in the Caribbean. He finds it very funny that some woman in Jamaica might be pining for him even though he’s open about the fact that he’s in Guantanamo.
Read more: dailymail.co.uk
- Hijab-Wearing Woman Becomes New Hair Model for L’Oreal. We Aren’t Joking. [Watch]
- Report: DHS to File Criminal Charges Against Sanctuary City Politicians
- Melania Trump Cuts Pork from First Lady Payroll After Michelle Obama’s Extensive Spending
- Psychologist Answers Journalist’s Question ‘Why should your right to freedom of speech trump a trans person’s right not to be offended?’ — Leaves Her Speechless [Watch]
- Watch: Security Footage Captures Dramatic Shoot-Out Between Cops and Armed Robbers
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- Newsweek: ‘Hillary Clinton could still become president if Russia probe finds conspiracy evidence’
- Actors Blame Trump for Hawaii False Alarm — Jim Carrey “We are headed for suffering beyond all imagination.”
- ICE to Crack Down on California the Sanctuary State
- New Details: Thirteen Children Living in ‘House of Horrors’ Were Only Allowed to Shower Twice a Year, Among Other Cruel Treatment
- 22 U.S. States Have Passed “Bring Your Gun to Work” Laws
- Allah Adios: Muslim Migrants Finally Get Deported from US Under Trump Admin
- INSANE: Cops Kill Puppy that was Walking Away From Them [VIDEO]
- POWERFUL: Cop Stands in the Place of Student’s Deceased Parents at Graduation
- Insane! Man Faces Jail Time for ‘Disturbing’ Manatees by Throwing Bucket of…
- Sessions Has HARSH Message for ‘Dreamers’ — Will Send Them CRYING Back to Mexico
- Rand Paul: Donald Trump was ‘Large Financial Backer’ of Haiti Mission Trips When he Was Private Citizen [Watch]
- Watch: Chelsea Manning is Running for Senate and the Campaign Ad Will Make You Cry with Laughter