Hopefully more people are found.
Hundreds of people are feared dead after a migrant boat capsized in the Mediterranean Sea off the Libyan coast.
Italy’s ANSA news agency said on Sunday that an estimated 700 people were aboard and 28 people had been rescued.
Carlotta Sami, the UN refugee agency UNHCR spokesperson, confirmed to Sky TG24 news channel that only 28 people had survived the shipwreck.
The Italian coast guard said in a statement that 24 bodies has also been recovered.
Joseph Muscat, Malta’s prime minister, was quoted on Twitter as confirming the incident:
Malta PM @JosephMuscat_JM reports tragedy of boat with app 650 refugees capsized in Libyan waters. So far only a few have been rescued.
— Carl Bildt (@carlbildt) April 19, 2015
The incident happened in an area just off Libyan waters, 193km south of Lampedusa island, according to a report in the Times of Malta’s website.
This comes amid a wave of migrants trying to leave Libya for Italian shores.
Al Jazeera’s Paul Brennan, reporting from Catania on Sicily, off Italy’s southern coast, said while the weather was sunny and good on Saturday, it later turned overcast and cloudy, which meant that the seas were choppy.
Read more: aljazeera.com