As thousands of African-Americans gathered at the National Mall to mark the 20th anniversary of the Million Man March, a female speaker led the massive crowd in a ‘down, down USA’ chant Saturday morning.
The unidentified Native American woman, who spoke briefly after Chief Ernie Longwalker of the Red Wind Nation, proclaimed that Muammar ‘Gaddafi is still alive.’
At one point while speaking, the woman held up what appeared to be a Black Panther Party t-shirt.
Before attempting to lead the crowd in a chant of ‘down, down USA,’ the woman also called for President Barack Obama to pardon Leonard Peltier, a Native American activist who was convicted of murdering two Federal Bureau of Investigation officers in 1975.
‘They have a whole race of indigenous people on reservations, concentration camps. They’re out there killing the indigenous people spiritually,’ she said.
Several users on Twitter who were watching the speech on C-SPAN were surprised about the Native American woman’s speech and chant.
‘Wait, did she just chant, ‘down, down, USA?’ one user tweeted.
As the day continued at the Million Man March, which called for changes in policing and in black communities, many people in the crowd could be seen waving flags, carrying signs and listening to other speeches and songs.
The crowd wove their way through security barricades and souvenir vendors at the U.S. Capitol and spread down the Mall on Saturday.
The families of several unarmed African-American men and women killed in encounters with police encouraged the crowd to continue to speak out against police misconduct.
The families asked the marchers not to forget the names of Michael Brown, Trayvon Martin and Sandra Bland and not be silent about their deaths.
Martin’s mother, Sybrina Fulton, said: ‘We will not continue to stand by and not say anything anymore.’
Attention has been focused on the deaths of unarmed black men since the shootings of 17-year-old Martin in 2012 in Florida and 18-year-old Brown in 2014 in Ferguson, Missouri.
Authorities said Bland hanged herself in July in a Texas jail cell after a traffic stop, but her family disputes those findings.
Read more: dailymail.co.uk
- Gun-Control Fact Sheet: If There are Any Facts to Refute the Gun-Control Argument, It’s These
- No Liberals, America is NOT the Worst Western Country When it Comes to Mass Shootings
- Gun Controllers Post ‘Kill the NRA’ Billboard — Organization Behind it Will Shock You
- One School has Armed Their Staff with Guns After Florida Shooting — Good Idea?
- Army Awards Slain JROTC Cadets for Their Heroism During Parkland School Shooting
- Hundreds of Teachers Sign Up for Concealed Carry Class
- CNN’s Chris Cuomo Tries Peddling False Report on Buying an “AR-15 in Five Minutes”
- Billy Graham’s Final Message to the World Before He Passed Away
- The Hero Coach Who Saved Dozens of Students by Sacrificing Himself
- ISIS Gives New Meaning to Craigslist Killers, Lures Hostages by…
- CNN Shocked After Iowa Voters Say What They Really Think About Russia Investigation [Watch]
- Watch: Laura Ingraham Tells LeBron James to ‘Shut Up and Dribble’ After His Trump Comment
- Watch: The Horrifying Footage of What Happened Inside School During Florida Massacre
- Parkland High School Student Blames Media for Politicizing the School Shooting, Instead of Focusing on Students Who Lost Their Lives
- WATCH: When This Thug is Caught Messing with This Man’s Wife Things Get Bad Real Quick
- WATCH: Classmate of Nikolas Cruz Reported Him Multiple Times and Claims ‘He talked about killing our friends’