As thousands of African-Americans gathered at the National Mall to mark the 20th anniversary of the Million Man March, a female speaker led the massive crowd in a ‘down, down USA’ chant Saturday morning.
The unidentified Native American woman, who spoke briefly after Chief Ernie Longwalker of the Red Wind Nation, proclaimed that Muammar ‘Gaddafi is still alive.’
At one point while speaking, the woman held up what appeared to be a Black Panther Party t-shirt.
Before attempting to lead the crowd in a chant of ‘down, down USA,’ the woman also called for President Barack Obama to pardon Leonard Peltier, a Native American activist who was convicted of murdering two Federal Bureau of Investigation officers in 1975.
‘They have a whole race of indigenous people on reservations, concentration camps. They’re out there killing the indigenous people spiritually,’ she said.
Several users on Twitter who were watching the speech on C-SPAN were surprised about the Native American woman’s speech and chant.
‘Wait, did she just chant, ‘down, down, USA?’ one user tweeted.
As the day continued at the Million Man March, which called for changes in policing and in black communities, many people in the crowd could be seen waving flags, carrying signs and listening to other speeches and songs.
The crowd wove their way through security barricades and souvenir vendors at the U.S. Capitol and spread down the Mall on Saturday.
The families of several unarmed African-American men and women killed in encounters with police encouraged the crowd to continue to speak out against police misconduct.
The families asked the marchers not to forget the names of Michael Brown, Trayvon Martin and Sandra Bland and not be silent about their deaths.
Martin’s mother, Sybrina Fulton, said: ‘We will not continue to stand by and not say anything anymore.’
Attention has been focused on the deaths of unarmed black men since the shootings of 17-year-old Martin in 2012 in Florida and 18-year-old Brown in 2014 in Ferguson, Missouri.
Authorities said Bland hanged herself in July in a Texas jail cell after a traffic stop, but her family disputes those findings.
Read more: dailymail.co.uk
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- NO LOVE FOR TRUMP: Glenn Beck Calls Trump’s Wife a Lesbian Porn Star in Facebook Rant
- Awkward: Compilation Video of Celebrities Thanking Harvey Weinstein Goes Viral [WATCH]
- Hillary Collapses in UK — Has Now Cancelled All Scheduled Events
- Robert De Niro Exclaims ‘F**k you, Donald Trump’ During Charity Event — Plans to Prevent the President From…
- The Man Obama Rescued: Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl Pleads Guilty to…
- WATCH: Hillary Clinton Greeted by a Swarm of ‘Boos’
- Conceal Carrier Avoids Deadly Armed Robbery With One Quick Move [WATCH]
- WATCH: Nancy Pelosi Goes on Tirade Against Trump’s Executive Order, Busted for Not Reading It [LOL]
- Report: Hillary Might Teach at Columbia — Social Media Explodes With Hilarious Reaction
- Are Bromances a Threat to Heterosexual Couples? One Study is Saying ‘Yes’
- Man Teases Bear With Food — Biggest Mistake of His Life
- Gun Grabbing ‘Logic’: Dianne Feinstein Claims Constitution Does NOT Protect Conceal Carry — All 40 Million Americans She Represents Would Never Want a… [VIDEO]
- ‘Taliban’ Hostages Return Home Revealing Gruesome Details — Reason Why They Were in Afghanistan Still Suspicious [Video]
- CONFIRMED: FBI Says Comey Did Draft Letter On Clinton Before Completing the Investigation
- Worst Mass Shooting in American History: Kills at Least 50, Hundreds More Injured
- Ladies, This is The Real Reason You Need to Learn How to Protect Yourself [LOL Video]
- LOL: Ben Carson Makes Maxine Waters Look Foolish Over Puerto Rican Recovery [WATCH]