Dozens of people arrested in violent demonstrations this week in Baltimore were being released early Wednesday evening because police were unable to complete their paperwork in time, the state public defender’s office said.
As many as 101 detainees began walking free without charges about the same time that Baltimore police announced that their report into the death of Freddie Gray, a 25-year-old African-American man who died in police custody this month, wouldn’t be made public Friday.
Police Commissioner Anthony Batts had set a deadline of Friday to file the report with state investigators. Capt. Eric Kowalczyk said Wednesday night that the report would remain closed to protect the integrity of the inquiry.
Thousands of people crammed the area around City Hall in a so-far peaceful rally Wednesday night ahead of a 10 p.m.-to-5 a.m. curfew that was imposed Tuesday. The curfew was ordered after protests turned violent Monday night after Gray’s funeral.
As the curfew resumed Wednesday night at 10 o’clock, the city’s streets again started to clear. Rep. Elijah Cummings, D-Maryland, walked the streets with a bullhorn, imploring people: “Let’s go home.”
The public defender, a government agency that represents suspects who have no lawyer, had filed habeas corpus petitions demanding that people arrested Monday night be released if they weren’t formally charged within 24 hours. No court has “amended or changed the rules that require these important safeguards,” it said.
Early Wednesday evening, many of those detained began streaming out of the Baltimore Central Booking and Intake Center.
The releases were the result of a logjam for police who were scrambling to pull the necessary paperwork to file charges at the same time they were trying to keep peace on the city’s streets, Kowalczyk said.
Read more: NBC News
- The Two Missing Minutes in Case Where Officer Mohamed Noor Shot the Yoga Teacher
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- If You Wear a Miniskirt in Saudi Arabia, Here is What Happens…
- Wife Found Guilty of Shooting Her Husband Dead and the Only Witness was Their Pet Parrot
- Officer Mohamed Noor Refuses to Cooperate With Investigators After Shooting Dead Yoga Teacher
- Crocodile Returns Body of Man it Killed After Witch Doctor ‘Summoned It’ [Video]
- Congress Fails to Include Majority of Trump’s Budget Cuts in House GOP Budget Plan
- Trump Admin Wins Second Time with Travel Ban, Strict Enforcement…
- Watch: Elderly Man Shoots Tires of AT&T Truck — Is This Wrong?
- 10,000 New ICE Agents are Ordered to Crackdown on Sanctuary Cities
- ANTIFA Protester Hits MAGA Man, Then All Hell Breaks Loose [Video]
- Sean Spicer is Out: Quits Job as Press Secretary and is Replaced by…
- John McCain’s Daughter Reveals the Senator Has Been Diagnosed With Brain Cancer
- College Students Love Socialism, But Can’t Define It [VIDEO]
- Delta Airlines Kicks Ann Coulter Out of Her Seat and Boy Was That the Wrong Decision…
- Gang of 4 Stalk 50yr-Old Woman, ‘Forced Her to Perform Oral Sex at Gunpoint’ [Video]
- Watch: Revolver or Semi-Auto for a Conceal Carry Weapon?
- EXCLUSIVE: American Patriot & [email protected] Chuck Taylor Discusses Defensive Handgun Shooting [WATCH]