Dozens of people arrested in violent demonstrations this week in Baltimore were being released early Wednesday evening because police were unable to complete their paperwork in time, the state public defender’s office said.
As many as 101 detainees began walking free without charges about the same time that Baltimore police announced that their report into the death of Freddie Gray, a 25-year-old African-American man who died in police custody this month, wouldn’t be made public Friday.
Police Commissioner Anthony Batts had set a deadline of Friday to file the report with state investigators. Capt. Eric Kowalczyk said Wednesday night that the report would remain closed to protect the integrity of the inquiry.
Thousands of people crammed the area around City Hall in a so-far peaceful rally Wednesday night ahead of a 10 p.m.-to-5 a.m. curfew that was imposed Tuesday. The curfew was ordered after protests turned violent Monday night after Gray’s funeral.
As the curfew resumed Wednesday night at 10 o’clock, the city’s streets again started to clear. Rep. Elijah Cummings, D-Maryland, walked the streets with a bullhorn, imploring people: “Let’s go home.”
The public defender, a government agency that represents suspects who have no lawyer, had filed habeas corpus petitions demanding that people arrested Monday night be released if they weren’t formally charged within 24 hours. No court has “amended or changed the rules that require these important safeguards,” it said.
Early Wednesday evening, many of those detained began streaming out of the Baltimore Central Booking and Intake Center.
The releases were the result of a logjam for police who were scrambling to pull the necessary paperwork to file charges at the same time they were trying to keep peace on the city’s streets, Kowalczyk said.
Read more: NBC News
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- WATCH: US Open Champion Sloane Stephens When Asked if She has New ‘Hunger’ to Win More Games Gives Hilarious Answer — Endorses Capitalism
- ANTIFA: Violence is Necessary
- College Pays Professors Huge Settlement After ‘Ban of White People’ on Campus Threatened Their Lives [Video]
- ‘YOU DON’T UNDERSTAND WEDDINGS’: Little Flower Girl Tries Her Best to Explain Weddings to Her Dad [WATCH]
- Artist Projects 3 Messages on Trump Hotel: “The President of the United States is a Known Racist and Nazi Sympathizer”
- Obama’s Deputy Chief of Staff Reveals Michelle Was the Real Boss and if She Got Mad, Oh Boy…
- Report: Charlottesville’s Neo-Nazi Organizer Was Former Occupy Activist, Supported Obama
- BREAKING: Explosion on London Tube Train
- Japan Prepares for Mass Evacuation as Kim Jong-un Becomes More Unhinged
- The Lawyers Whom Allegedly Deleted Hillary’s E-mails are About to be…
- Columbus Day Now has a New Racially Acceptable Name in Los Angeles, Explorer to be Erased from History…
- The Key to Basic Handgun Training? K.I.S.S. [Watch]
- ANTIFA Protester Hits MAGA Man, Then All Hell Breaks Loose [Video]