A pediatric emergency medicine physician is urging doctors to join the effort for gun control by asking about gun ownership while performing health histories on their patients.
A panel titled “The Tipping Point: Activating a Public Health Movement to Address Gun Violence” was featured at the American Public Health Association (APHA)’s 2015 annual meeting in Chicago earlier in November. The panel called for a view of gun violence as a public health emergency situation.
Dr. Eric Fleegler of Boston Children’s Hospital – a member of the panel – echoed statistics from the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence during his presentation.
“One in five deaths in young people ages 15 to 29 are from firearms — a stunning number,” said Fleegler, as Medscape reports. “If these were deaths due to cancer, we would find this outrageous.”
Fleegler was a research principal in a study published by JAMA Internal Medicine titled “Firearm Legislation and Firearm-Related Fatalities in the United States,” which concluded:
A higher number of firearm laws in a state are associated with a lower rate of firearm fatalities in the state, overall and for suicides and homicides individually. As our study could not determine cause-and-effect relationships, further studies are necessary to define the nature of this association.
During the APHA meeting, Fleegler said that despite his study’s findings, since the December 2012 school shootings in Newtown, Connecticut, most state firearm laws have loosened gun control. Medscape reports that Fleegler’s statement “elicited murmurs of disbelief from the audience.”
As Breitbart News reported Friday, however, as of November 23, 2015, for example, the city of Chicago – which has severely restrictive gun control laws – has experienced 2,703 shootings resulting in 440 deaths, representing an increase of about 400 shootings over the same time last year.
“It is worth noting that while this violence proves the impotency of gun control in general, it is especially damning when juxtaposed with some of the most recent gun control endeavors in particular,” writes Breitbart News’ AWR Hawkins.
Read more: Breitbart
- Marine Dakota Meyer Demolishes Transgender Navy SEALS Story…
- 20yr-Old Chick Draws Gun on Man Who Ran Over Her Family Members at Funeral
- Dude Waves Communist Flag at Trump Rally — Watch What Happens to Him Next
- Alert: 18 ‘ISIS Fighters’ Have Been Executed in Libya
- Imran Awan Allegedly Steals House Democrats’ Laptops, is Arrested; DWS Fights With Capitol Police — This is Big
- Hollywood Freaks After Trump Declares No Transgendered People to Serve in Military: ‘You just pissed off the wrong community.’
- Criminal Complaint to be Filed Against Animal Rights Activists Who Threatened Huntress, Leading to Her Suicide
- Illegal Immigrant in New York Charged with Raping 12yr-Old Girl More than Once
- Chris Hemsworth Thinks a Woman Should be the New Bond…
- Gang of 4 Stalk 50yr-Old Woman, ‘Forced Her to Perform Oral Sex at Gunpoint’ [Video]
- ALERT: All US Army M1911 Handguns to be Transferred to Civilian Marksmanship Program in new Bill
- Watch: Revolver or Semi-Auto for a Conceal Carry Weapon?
- Dude Goes on Streaking Rampage After Cutting Off His Penis While High on Drugs [Video]
- Michelle Obama Claims People Don’t Like Her Because of ‘Her Skin Color’
- Demonic: Group of Teens Laugh and Mock Disabled Man Drowning in Pond, Film the Whole Incident
- Berkeley Middle School Teacher Yvette Felarca Arrested For Assault, Rioting At ‘Anti-Fascist’ Protest
- BREAKING: DC Transit Officer Involved with ISIS, Helped Them Get… UPDATE
- Busted: Chick Tries Framing Cop for Sexual Harassment, Then His Body-Cam Footage was Released