The EPA has made a lot of power grabs of dubious legality over the last year, from forcing unpopular regulations through over the objections of Congress to illegally using social media to promote Obama’s policies. So without further ado, here are the top 5 EPA attempts to grab power through quasi-legal means.
1: The Clean Power Plan
The Clean Power Plan (CPP) is an attempt by the Obama administration and EPA to reduce carbon dioxide emissions by over one-third to fight global warming. It was fully published in October and promptly hit with a tidal wave of lawsuits from 26 different states.
“The Clean Power Plan is one of the most far-reaching energy regulations in the nation’s history,” West Virginia Attorney General Patrick Morrisey wrote in a statement. “EPA claims to have power to enact such sweeping regulations … but such legal authority simply does not exist.”
The state lawsuits allege that the Plan is an illegal federal overreach which will drive up the price of electricity and undercut the reliability of the electric grid. A professor of constitutional law at Harvard Law School wrote a Wall Street Journal opinion piece which argued that the Plan was unconstitutional.
The legal basis for the plan has also been questioned by the House of Representatives Energy and Commerce Committee, which believes that the EPA doesn’t have the legal authority to implement the plan without explicit authorization from Congress.
President Obama has stated that he intends to use “executive authority” in order to institute CPP over the objections of Congress.
2: Cap-And-Trade Without Congressional Approval
EPA issued a carbon dioxide emissions cap-and-trade scheme in October, claiming that it is authorized by the Clean Air Act. The scheme establishes state limits on carbon dioxide emissions, and requires the EPA to punish states that resist.
However, Congress already rejected a similar program in 2009, meaning the regulation contradicts the express will of Congress and that a simple reinterpretation of the Clean Air Act isn’t enough to justify such a drastic change.
Additionally, new analysis of an existing New England cap-and-trade scheme showed that it failed to reduce carbon dioxide emissions.
Even environmentalists dislike cap-and-trade schemes. Executive Director of Greenpeace Annie Leonard has called cap-and-trade a “multi-trillion dollar carbon racket” which creates “real incentives to cheat.” The fraction of environmentalists who support the idea of cap-and trade admit that previous attempts to implement it “fall short of creating real price pressures due to its closeness to baseline emissions.”
Read more: Daily Caller
- What Really Killed Otto Warmbier
- National Security Council Unable to Release Susan Rice Documents Because They’re in Obama’s…
- Hillary Clinton & Co. About to be Stripped of Security Clearance
- Migrants Kill Motorist by Dragging Tree-Trunks to Stop Traffic, Hijack Cars
- Why We Carry: Man Punches Girl 39 Times in Empty Parking Lot After ‘Laying in Wait’ [WATCH]
- Is Obama At Fault For Otto Warmbier’s Death? Victim’s Father Sheds Some Light On The Former President
- MSNBC Host Suggests Scalise DESERVED To Be Shot — The Reason Why Will Have You FUMING!
- When Marco Met Ivanka: The Most Awkward Hug in Political History
- GROSS! What Women are Doing in the Name of Feminism Will Make You Puke
- Watch: Dude Performs Erotic Drag Show for Elementary & Middle School Kids
- WATCH: Why Poor People Shouldn’t Run the Economy
- Die-In Protesters Against Trump’s Healthcare Bill Get Rude Awakening by Motorcyclist [WATCH]
- Terrorist Knifeman Attacks Cop at Airport Shouts ‘Allahu Akbar’ [VIDEO]
- Nationwide Manhunt for This POS — Murdered Multiple Women, Considered Armed and Dangerous
- Trump Sends Kim Jong-un a Loud and Clear Message After Otto’s Death
- Trevor Noah Targets NRA: ‘How Does a Black Person Not Get Shot in America?’ [VIDEO]
- New Report Exposes Millions of Illegal Immigrants Have Voted in U.S. Elections
- Photo Gallery