The trial of a Washington Post journalist detained in Iran for almost 10 months on charges that include “espionage” will begin next week.
Jason Rezaian, a dual US-Iranian citizen, is scheduled to go on trial at a Revolutionary Court on Tuesday.
His wife Yeganeh Salehi, who was arrested alongside him in July but later bailed, and a third person have also been summoned to appear in court.
It is not clear whether proceedings will be open to the public.
The Washington Post’s executive editor, Martin Baron, denounced what he called the “contemptible prosecution” of Mr Rezaian, who has been allowed only a single meeting with his lawyer – in the presence of official translators – to prepare.
‘Anything but fair’
Iranian state media quoted an unnamed judiciary official as saying on Tuesday that Mr Rezaian and two others would appear in court for the first time next week.
The journalist’s lawyer, Leila Ahsan, told the Associated Press that she had confirmed the news with the court.
She said the other two defendants were Ms Salehi, who was a reporter for the Abu Dhabi-based newspaper The National, and a freelance photographer who worked for foreign media who has not been named publicly.
Read more: BBC
- 20yr-Old Chick Draws Gun on Man Who Ran Over Her Family Members at Funeral
- Alert: 18 ‘ISIS Fighters’ Have Been Executed in Libya
- Dude Goes on Streaking Rampage After Cutting Off His Penis While High on Drugs [Video]
- Debbie Wasserman-Schultz’s IT Staffer Tries Fleeing Country After FBI Seize Bashed in Hard Drives
- Fast & Furious Eric Holder Attacks Trump for Corruption
- FBI Grabs Smashed Hard Drives from Debbie Wasserman-Schultz’s IT Aides
- Female Hunter Commits Suicide After Being Threatened by Animal Rights Activists
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- Sessions, Priebus Soon to be Fired According to Trump Confidante
- Imam in America Prays for Complete ‘Annihilation’ of Jews, ‘Down To The Very Last One’
- Illegal Immigrant in New York Charged with Raping 12yr-Old Girl More than Once
- ANTIFA Protester Hits MAGA Man, Then All Hell Breaks Loose [Video]
- Sean Spicer is Out: Quits Job as Press Secretary and is Replaced by…
- When the Creatures of WALMART are Photographed…
- Starbucks Customer Nails Armed Robber with Chair and Saves the Day [Watch]
- Holy Sh*t: Kurdish Female Fighter Narrowly Escapes Sniper Shot
- Delta Airlines Kicks Ann Coulter Out of Her Seat and Boy Was That the Wrong Decision…
- Trump Says ‘ObamaCare is torturing the American People’ as Republicans Head to Senate on Repeal Vote, With Surprise Attendance from McCain