The trial of a Washington Post journalist detained in Iran for almost 10 months on charges that include “espionage” will begin next week.
Jason Rezaian, a dual US-Iranian citizen, is scheduled to go on trial at a Revolutionary Court on Tuesday.
His wife Yeganeh Salehi, who was arrested alongside him in July but later bailed, and a third person have also been summoned to appear in court.
It is not clear whether proceedings will be open to the public.
The Washington Post’s executive editor, Martin Baron, denounced what he called the “contemptible prosecution” of Mr Rezaian, who has been allowed only a single meeting with his lawyer – in the presence of official translators – to prepare.
‘Anything but fair’
Iranian state media quoted an unnamed judiciary official as saying on Tuesday that Mr Rezaian and two others would appear in court for the first time next week.
The journalist’s lawyer, Leila Ahsan, told the Associated Press that she had confirmed the news with the court.
She said the other two defendants were Ms Salehi, who was a reporter for the Abu Dhabi-based newspaper The National, and a freelance photographer who worked for foreign media who has not been named publicly.
Read more: BBC
- WATCH: Bernie Sanders FREAKS When His Gun Policy is Exposed by Chuck Todd
- Seattle Seahawks Player Claims Cops ‘Racially Profiled’ Him — Cops Respond With All the Details He Omitted
- When Scopes are a Bad Idea?
- Her Orders were to Take Down Flight 93 on 9/11, But Lt. Heather “Lucky” Penney Was Flying an Unarmed F-16
- Vegas Police Arrest Student Issuing School Death Threats On Instagram — Unlike Broward County
- Trump’s Sexual Harassment Accusers Sit Down With Megyn Kelly
- WATCH: Body-Cam Footage Released of Police Hunting Down Las Vegas Shooter Stephen Paddock
- #WarriorChick: Man Gropes Woman and Says She “Likes it” Because She is “American” — Her Response Left Him Bruised and Beaten
- WATCH: Liberal Politician Wants to Make it Illegal to Manufacture Semi-Automatic Rifles, ‘Get Them Out Of Our Communities’
- FLASHBACK: When Trump Said McCain Was NOT a War Hero–He Was RIGHT
- Media Bias and Anti-NRA Protests Causes Massive Spike in NRA Membership
- WATCH: Chick Accuses Cop of Racism, Then the Body Camera Footage is Released
- PRINCESS OR QUEEN: THE 11 DIFFERENCES BETWEEN DATING A GIRL VS A WOMAN