The trial of a Washington Post journalist detained in Iran for almost 10 months on charges that include “espionage” will begin next week.
Jason Rezaian, a dual US-Iranian citizen, is scheduled to go on trial at a Revolutionary Court on Tuesday.
His wife Yeganeh Salehi, who was arrested alongside him in July but later bailed, and a third person have also been summoned to appear in court.
It is not clear whether proceedings will be open to the public.
The Washington Post’s executive editor, Martin Baron, denounced what he called the “contemptible prosecution” of Mr Rezaian, who has been allowed only a single meeting with his lawyer – in the presence of official translators – to prepare.
‘Anything but fair’
Iranian state media quoted an unnamed judiciary official as saying on Tuesday that Mr Rezaian and two others would appear in court for the first time next week.
The journalist’s lawyer, Leila Ahsan, told the Associated Press that she had confirmed the news with the court.
She said the other two defendants were Ms Salehi, who was a reporter for the Abu Dhabi-based newspaper The National, and a freelance photographer who worked for foreign media who has not been named publicly.
Read more: BBC
- REPORT: Hillary Got ‘PHYSICALLY VIOLENT’ After Losing–ATTACKED Staff and Had to be ‘Restrained’
- Informant on Clinton, Russia Uranium Deal has been Identified
- THE KILL LIST: Islamic State has Released List of American Cities They Plan on Attacking
- 9yr-Old Girl Has Some Mad Crazy Handgun Skills [Video]
- Chick Fired for Flicking Off Trump’s Motorcade Gets Job Offer from Porn Company, Given $70k for…
- Self-Defense When Bugging Out: 7 Tips to Keep In Mind
- Father Abandons Wife & 7 Kids to Live as a 6yr-Old Girl [Video]
- WATCH: Drake Defends Female Fans After Man Gropes Them During Concert
- VIDEO: Hillary Cries Hysterically After Losing–Blames Comey & Obama
- Skinny Dipping Biden: Female Secret Service Agents Hate Being Assigned to Biden, But Hillary is Worse
- California Gunman Kevin Janson Neal had History of Violence, Instability
- Texas Shooting Survivors Say Kelley Targeted Children — Would Shoot Them at…
- A TASTE OF THEIR OWN MEDICINE: Syrian Rebels Release a Video of Them Shooting Islamic State Militants
- Senator Al Fraken Caught Sexually Harassing a Model
- New Muslim Barbie Comes Dressed in Hijab and Hatred Towards President Trump
- Gun Yoga, Is It a Real Thing? [WATCH]
- TERRIFYING: Family Trapped in Their Vehicle as LIONS Fight Over Carcass Under the WHEEL
- Texas Shooting: Two Heroes Who Chased Down Shooter Reveal What Happened