The trial of a Washington Post journalist detained in Iran for almost 10 months on charges that include “espionage” will begin next week.
Jason Rezaian, a dual US-Iranian citizen, is scheduled to go on trial at a Revolutionary Court on Tuesday.
His wife Yeganeh Salehi, who was arrested alongside him in July but later bailed, and a third person have also been summoned to appear in court.
It is not clear whether proceedings will be open to the public.
The Washington Post’s executive editor, Martin Baron, denounced what he called the “contemptible prosecution” of Mr Rezaian, who has been allowed only a single meeting with his lawyer – in the presence of official translators – to prepare.
‘Anything but fair’
Iranian state media quoted an unnamed judiciary official as saying on Tuesday that Mr Rezaian and two others would appear in court for the first time next week.
The journalist’s lawyer, Leila Ahsan, told the Associated Press that she had confirmed the news with the court.
She said the other two defendants were Ms Salehi, who was a reporter for the Abu Dhabi-based newspaper The National, and a freelance photographer who worked for foreign media who has not been named publicly.
Read more: BBC
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- CNN Made to Report Trump’s ‘Wiretap’ Accusations May Have Been True
- Bill O’Reilly Breaks His Silence: His Firing was a ‘Political and Financial Hit Job’ [Video]
- Defense Secretary James Mattis is Ready to Shoot Down North Korea’s Ballistic Missiles
- Crocodile ‘Whisperer’ Claimed the Creatures Wouldn’t Harm Him, Then He Went for a Swim
- College Pays Professors Huge Settlement After ‘Ban of White People’ on Campus Threatened Their Lives [Video]
- Chelsea Handler: ‘Black White Supremacy’ is a Real Thing
- Trump UN Speech: ‘Rocket Man’ Kim Jong Un is on ‘suicide mission’ [WATCH]
- White Chick Claims Police Arresting Looters is ‘White Supremacy’
- ISIS on the Verge of Losing its ‘Capital’
- ROAD RAGE: This Guy Wants Everyone to Know What he Thinks of Obama and It’s Awesome [PHOTO]
- Here is How Miami Police are Handling the Hurricane Irma Looters…
- Columbus Day Now has a New Racially Acceptable Name in Los Angeles, Explorer to be Erased from History…
- Her Orders were to Take Down Flight 93 on 9/11, But Lt. Heather “Lucky” Penney Was Flying an Unarmed F-16
- PERV ALERT: Group of Brooklyn Teens Grope Several Women
- The Lawyers Whom Allegedly Deleted Hillary’s E-mails are About to be…
- Obama’s Deputy Chief of Staff Reveals Michelle Was the Real Boss and if She Got Mad, Oh Boy…
- ALERT: Wasserman Schultz’ ex-IT Aide Now Faces 4-count Indictment