The defiant ex-Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick isn’t giving up his fight for freedom as he is now heading to the U.S. Supreme Court, hoping the nation’s highest court overturns his public corruption conviction that sent him to prison for 28 years.
Kilpatrick’s lawyer Harold Gurewitz told the Free Press this morning that he will take Kilpatrick’s case to the Supreme Court following the latest legal blow from the U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals, which has rejected Kilpatrick’s request to have the entire appeals bench rehear his case. A three-judge panel in August ruled against Kilpatrick, upholding his conviction on 24 corruption crimes, including bribery, extortion and fraud.
Kilpatrick then took the next step and asked for a hearing from the entire bench. In a one-paragraph decision, the justices harpooned Kilpatrick’s appeal.
“No judge has requested a vote on the suggestion for rehearing (by the full court),” the justices wrote. “Therefore, the petition is denied.”
Gurewitz said the next step for Kilpatrick is asking the U.S. Supreme Court to hear the case.
“There are really significant issues. It’s a significant case. Mr. Kilpatrick received an extremely long sentence, so I think that there are compelling reasons for further review,” said Gurewitz, Kilpatrick’s appeal attorney.
Kilpatrick is currently locked up in a federal prison in El Reno, Okla., where he is serving his lengthy prison sentence since getting convicted in March 2013 alongside his longtime contractor, friend and co-defendant, Bobby Ferguson, who was sentenced to 21 years in prison.
Read more: freep.com
- WATCH: Bernie Sanders FREAKS When His Gun Policy is Exposed by Chuck Todd
- Parkland High School Student Blames Media for Politicizing the School Shooting, Instead of Focusing on Students Who Lost Their Lives
- Watch: The Horrifying Footage of What Happened Inside School During Florida Massacre
- Jennifer Lawrence Has Quit Acting to ‘Save Our Democracy’ from Donald Trump
- Watch: Laura Ingraham Tells LeBron James to ‘Shut Up and Dribble’ After His Trump Comment
- Gun-Control Fact Sheet: If There are Any Facts to Refute the Gun-Control Argument, It’s These
- VIDEO: Students ‘Protest’ Gun Violence by Laying Around Doing Nothing
- Hijab-Wearing Woman Becomes New Hair Model for L’Oreal. We Aren’t Joking. [Watch]
- WATCH: Mariah Carey Caught Lip Syncing During NYE Performance–Storms Off Stage, But Not Before She Said This…
- The Hero Coach Who Saved Dozens of Students by Sacrificing Himself
- Nikolas Cruz was Member of White Supremacist Militia — UPADET, Police Find No Link
- Grandmother Stops School Shooting Plot in Washington State
- Watch: Democrat Senator Admits Trump is Right About the Wall