The defiant ex-Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick isn’t giving up his fight for freedom as he is now heading to the U.S. Supreme Court, hoping the nation’s highest court overturns his public corruption conviction that sent him to prison for 28 years.
Kilpatrick’s lawyer Harold Gurewitz told the Free Press this morning that he will take Kilpatrick’s case to the Supreme Court following the latest legal blow from the U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals, which has rejected Kilpatrick’s request to have the entire appeals bench rehear his case. A three-judge panel in August ruled against Kilpatrick, upholding his conviction on 24 corruption crimes, including bribery, extortion and fraud.
Kilpatrick then took the next step and asked for a hearing from the entire bench. In a one-paragraph decision, the justices harpooned Kilpatrick’s appeal.
“No judge has requested a vote on the suggestion for rehearing (by the full court),” the justices wrote. “Therefore, the petition is denied.”
Gurewitz said the next step for Kilpatrick is asking the U.S. Supreme Court to hear the case.
“There are really significant issues. It’s a significant case. Mr. Kilpatrick received an extremely long sentence, so I think that there are compelling reasons for further review,” said Gurewitz, Kilpatrick’s appeal attorney.
Kilpatrick is currently locked up in a federal prison in El Reno, Okla., where he is serving his lengthy prison sentence since getting convicted in March 2013 alongside his longtime contractor, friend and co-defendant, Bobby Ferguson, who was sentenced to 21 years in prison.
Read more: freep.com
- Seattle Seahawks Player Claims Cops ‘Racially Profiled’ Him — Cops Respond With All the Details He Omitted
- WATCH: Trump Calls Kaepernick a ‘Son of a B****’ for Protesting National Anthem
- A Furious Mike Pence Takes on McCain After Senator Saved Obamacare [WATCH]
- Kimg Jong-un Replies to Trump: Plans to “Tame” the President with “Fire”
- Obama’s Deputy Chief of Staff Reveals Michelle Was the Real Boss and if She Got Mad, Oh Boy…
- The Lawyers Whom Allegedly Deleted Hillary’s E-mails are About to be…
- Watch: Hipsters Believe America Should Model Economy Like Venezuela’s to Have Income Equality
- Crocodile ‘Whisperer’ Claimed the Creatures Wouldn’t Harm Him, Then He Went for a Swim
- This EPIC Meme DESTROYS Colin Kaepernick’s REFUSAL to Stand for the National Anthem
- The Real Deplorables–FOUR Football Players Disrespect America on 9/11
- Irma Hits Florida: The Deadly Surge to Come…
- Chick Wants to Change ‘Father’s Day’ To ‘Special Persons Day’ — Watch Her Explain This One…
- For Those of You Who Thought Trump Bankrupted the Secret Service, Here is the Real Story…
- Defense Secretary James Mattis is Ready to Shoot Down North Korea’s Ballistic Missiles
- Not So Sharp: Masked Robbers Attempt to Hold Up Bar Filled With Policemen
- BREAKING: Explosion on London Tube Train
- Bill O’Reilly Breaks His Silence: His Firing was a ‘Political and Financial Hit Job’ [Video]
- Ex-Obama Official, Rosa Brooks, Suggest MILITARY COUP to Get Rid of Trump… Good Luck Lady