The defiant ex-Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick isn’t giving up his fight for freedom as he is now heading to the U.S. Supreme Court, hoping the nation’s highest court overturns his public corruption conviction that sent him to prison for 28 years.
Kilpatrick’s lawyer Harold Gurewitz told the Free Press this morning that he will take Kilpatrick’s case to the Supreme Court following the latest legal blow from the U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals, which has rejected Kilpatrick’s request to have the entire appeals bench rehear his case. A three-judge panel in August ruled against Kilpatrick, upholding his conviction on 24 corruption crimes, including bribery, extortion and fraud.
Kilpatrick then took the next step and asked for a hearing from the entire bench. In a one-paragraph decision, the justices harpooned Kilpatrick’s appeal.
“No judge has requested a vote on the suggestion for rehearing (by the full court),” the justices wrote. “Therefore, the petition is denied.”
Gurewitz said the next step for Kilpatrick is asking the U.S. Supreme Court to hear the case.
“There are really significant issues. It’s a significant case. Mr. Kilpatrick received an extremely long sentence, so I think that there are compelling reasons for further review,” said Gurewitz, Kilpatrick’s appeal attorney.
Kilpatrick is currently locked up in a federal prison in El Reno, Okla., where he is serving his lengthy prison sentence since getting convicted in March 2013 alongside his longtime contractor, friend and co-defendant, Bobby Ferguson, who was sentenced to 21 years in prison.
Read more: freep.com
- NO LOVE FOR TRUMP: Glenn Beck Calls Trump’s Wife a Lesbian Porn Star in Facebook Rant
- ‘YOU SHOULD HAVE STAYED IN AFRICA’: Group of Black People Taunt BIKINI-CLAD Woman, She Instantly Loses Her Sh*t [VIDEO]
- WATCH: Sarah Palin Says She’s Never Been Sexually Harassed Because Everyone Knows She Has a…
- Prostitute Shoots Man in the Head Because He Didn’t Know How to…
- Bug out Guns: 7 Best Firearms for your Bug out Arsenal
- Kathy Griffin Attacks Trump Again in Bizarre Video [WATCH]
- WATCH: Off-Duty Police Officer Caught in Gun Fight While Holding His Young Child
- The Best Scopes for Your Hunting Rifle
- 2yr-Old Beats Stage 4 Cancer with Breakthrough Treatment
- CNN Commentator: When it Comes to Criticizing NFL Players “White People Don’t Get to…”
- Watch: When Americans ‘Steal’ Illegal Immigrants’ Job
- Child Sex Slave Escapes Captor, But Now She is the One in Jail
- Senator Al Fraken Caught Sexually Harassing a Model
- San Fran Transit Refuses to Release CCTV Footage for Criminal Investigations, Because Racism
- REPORT: Hillary Got ‘PHYSICALLY VIOLENT’ After Losing–ATTACKED Staff and Had to be ‘Restrained’
- USA Today Warns Americans to Beware Of AR-15 Armed With Chainsaws, No Joke [WATCH]
- Fake Mud Jeans Now Exist for Men Who are too Afraid to Get Dirty — Guess How Much They Cost
- Father With a Gun: Daughter Saved by Her Dad After Gang Tries to…