The defiant ex-Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick isn’t giving up his fight for freedom as he is now heading to the U.S. Supreme Court, hoping the nation’s highest court overturns his public corruption conviction that sent him to prison for 28 years.
Kilpatrick’s lawyer Harold Gurewitz told the Free Press this morning that he will take Kilpatrick’s case to the Supreme Court following the latest legal blow from the U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals, which has rejected Kilpatrick’s request to have the entire appeals bench rehear his case. A three-judge panel in August ruled against Kilpatrick, upholding his conviction on 24 corruption crimes, including bribery, extortion and fraud.
Kilpatrick then took the next step and asked for a hearing from the entire bench. In a one-paragraph decision, the justices harpooned Kilpatrick’s appeal.
“No judge has requested a vote on the suggestion for rehearing (by the full court),” the justices wrote. “Therefore, the petition is denied.”
Gurewitz said the next step for Kilpatrick is asking the U.S. Supreme Court to hear the case.
“There are really significant issues. It’s a significant case. Mr. Kilpatrick received an extremely long sentence, so I think that there are compelling reasons for further review,” said Gurewitz, Kilpatrick’s appeal attorney.
Kilpatrick is currently locked up in a federal prison in El Reno, Okla., where he is serving his lengthy prison sentence since getting convicted in March 2013 alongside his longtime contractor, friend and co-defendant, Bobby Ferguson, who was sentenced to 21 years in prison.
Read more: freep.com
- 20yr-Old Chick Draws Gun on Man Who Ran Over Her Family Members at Funeral
- Dude Waves Communist Flag at Trump Rally — Watch What Happens to Him Next
- Imran Awan Allegedly Steals House Democrats’ Laptops, is Arrested; DWS Fights With Capitol Police — This is Big
- Dude Goes on Streaking Rampage After Cutting Off His Penis While High on Drugs [Video]
- Hollywood Freaks After Trump Declares No Transgendered People to Serve in Military: ‘You just pissed off the wrong community.’
- Alert: 18 ‘ISIS Fighters’ Have Been Executed in Libya
- Debbie Wasserman-Schultz’s IT Staffer Tries Fleeing Country After FBI Seize Bashed in Hard Drives
- FBI Grabs Smashed Hard Drives from Debbie Wasserman-Schultz’s IT Aides
- Fast & Furious Eric Holder Attacks Trump for Corruption
- Illegal Immigrant in New York Charged with Raping 12yr-Old Girl More than Once
- Trump Says No To Trans People In The Military
- RNC Chairwoman Ronna Romney McDaniel Warns DWS Obstructed Potential National Security Threat [VIDEO]
- SANCTUARY CITY: Releases Dominican Accused of CHILD RAPE
- Python Swallows Deer Whole in Seconds in Jaw Dropping Video, Or So We Think…
- Trump’s Travel Ban Stops a MAJOR THREAT — But You Won’t Hear the MSM Talking About It
- Regis and Her Father on Fox and Friends
- Hey Ladies: Here is a List of Compact 9mm Concealed Carry Guns that Cost Less Than $600
- Watch: CNN’s Poppy Harlow Confuses American National Anthem for French Anthem