The White House is heavily weighing the use of an executive order to expand background checks for gun buyers, two administration sources confirmed to CBS News.
The use of executive authority would allow the president to bypass Congressional gridlock to impose stricter regulations on gun dealers.
The new rule would require gun dealers who sell a large number of firearms to perform checks on potential buyers. Gun dealers would also need to be licensed by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
The White House is expected to come to a final decision on issuing the executive order soon.
The consideration of the new rule comes as the president heads to Roseburg, Oregon Friday to offer his condolences to the families of the victims from last week’s mass shooting at Umpqua Community College.
Mr. Obama, who has expressed mounting frustration over Congressional inaction on gun control, called last week for the partisan bickering to stop.
Read more: CBS News
- Young Woman Attacked and Stabbed — Turns the Table on Her Attacker and Gets His Knife
- REPORT: Facebook’s Algorithm Change Boosting Liberals, Silencing Conservatives
- WINNING! California FORCED to Return 500+ Guns to Dealer After Seizing Them For…
- WATCH: Tennessee Students Start Fighting, Tear Down American Flag During Anti-Gun ‘Walkout’ Protest
- Student David Hogg Demands People ‘Work Together’, But Calls the NRA ‘Child Murderers’
- Couple Caught Sexually Abusing Their Kids and Family Dog
- Parkland High School: Broward County Sheriff Captain Who Ordered Officers to Secure “Perimeter” Identified
- Poll: Should NFL Fans Get a Refund if Players Kneel During Anthem?
- REPORT: US was Running Guns Through Benghazi to Syria and Hillary Lied About it Under Oath
- Second Amendment Group Has Surge of Membership at 1200% for 18-20 Year-Olds
- WATCH: Katy Perry Forces Kiss on American Idol Contestant, is He a #MeToo Victim?
- One Student SUSPENDED for Not Walking Out During Anti-Gun Protest
- PRO GUN WIN: See How this Judge Just Changed the Game for Gun Owners
- Dear Idiot NYT Writer: Here are THREE Provable Instances of Americans Protecting Their Liberty with Guns
- Haitian Official Who Exposed the Clinton Foundation is Found With Gun-Shot to Head
- Dropped: Charges Against the Bundy Family are Dismissed
- Tinder Date Turns to Homicide: ‘Mama’s Boy’ Dismembers Woman’s Body
- DOJ Unleashes More Documents on Operation Fast & Furious