Regardless of which candidate takes over the Oval Office, Citi analysts say the big winner will actually be a Silicon Valley giant with Facebook edging out Google.
“In our conversations with industry sources, an overriding theme across all conversations was that Facebook and Google will be the largest recipients of political digital ad spend over the 2016 cycle,” wrote Mark May and Jason Bazinet of Citi in a note to clients Tuesday.
“Facebook specifically has seen great momentum within their political-related ad spend in recent years, as campaigns and their media buyers have developed an appreciation for the platform’s reach, targeting capabilities, as well as its growing tech stack.”
May and Bazinet estimate that the amount of ad money spent digitally for the 2016 federal elections is going to quadruple from the 2012 elections, from $145 million to $607 million. For all elections, including the state and local level, they expect $1.07 billion will go to digital ads.
This will account for about 12% of all spending in federal elections, according to their estimates.
Google was the digital ad spend leader during the Obama-Romney race, but the analysts say that Facebook is poised to overtake the search giant.
Read more: businessinsider.com
- A Furious Mike Pence Takes on McCain After Senator Saved Obamacare [WATCH]
- Obama’s Deputy Chief of Staff Reveals Michelle Was the Real Boss and if She Got Mad, Oh Boy…
- Crocodile ‘Whisperer’ Claimed the Creatures Wouldn’t Harm Him, Then He Went for a Swim
- Seattle Seahawks Player Claims Cops ‘Racially Profiled’ Him — Cops Respond With All the Details He Omitted
- Watch: Hipsters Believe America Should Model Economy Like Venezuela’s to Have Income Equality
- For Those of You Who Thought Trump Bankrupted the Secret Service, Here is the Real Story…
- White Chick Claims Police Arresting Looters is ‘White Supremacy’
- Japan Prepares for Mass Evacuation as Kim Jong-un Becomes More Unhinged
- Kimg Jong-un Replies to Trump: Plans to “Tame” the President with “Fire”
- Nun With Chainsaw: The Post Irma Clean Up Crew
- Her Orders were to Take Down Flight 93 on 9/11, But Lt. Heather “Lucky” Penney Was Flying an Unarmed F-16
- DeVos to End Obama-era Campus Sexual Assault Policy — Plans to…
- LMAO: Washington Post is Turning Its Back on Elizabeth Warren, Label Her as ‘GRANDSTANDING PHONY’
- Trump UN Speech: ‘Rocket Man’ Kim Jong Un is on ‘suicide mission’ [WATCH]
- The Female Celebrities Go on Attack: Anyone Who is a Trump Supporter, Especially Women, Should…
- NO LOVE FOR TRUMP: Glenn Beck Calls Trump’s Wife a Lesbian Porn Star in Facebook Rant
- Report: What Cops Have Discovered in Death of Eric Bolling’s Son
- BYE-BYE: UC Berkeley Loses Major Donor, Says It’s ‘For My Safety’