Authorities were investigating on Sunday whether the heavily-armed gunman thwarted in the midst of an apparent terror attack on a Amsterdam-Paris train was acting alone, or whether “a wider framework” was involved.
Belgium’s chief prosecutor Eric Van Sypt told NBC News that the suspected attacker was 26-year-old Moroccan Ayoub El Khazzani, who had lived in Europe for several years and recently spent time in Brussels.
Van Sypt said it was not yet known if El Khazzani had an accomplice or was acting alone, and authorities in Belgium were probing “if there is possibly a wider framework involved.”
Van Sypt said Belgium had opened a judicial investigation because El Khazzani boarded the train in Brussels and had recently lived in the city for a brief period.
French Interior Minister Brenard Cazeneuve said Saturday that Spanish authorities had flagged a 26-year-old Moroccan in February 2014 because of his links to radical Islam.
When asked whether Spanish authorities had informed Belgium police of El Khazzani’s suspected links to radical Islam, as they had told the French, Van Sypt said: “Communication is difficult to monitor when today each police service is handed hundreds of names and hundreds are exchanged. Intelligence can hardly keep track of every possible threat.”
Read more: NBC News
- Pedophile Imprisoned for Sexually Abusing Young Boy is Found Dead in Jail
- Trump Rioters During Inauguration Day Find Out What “Justice” Means
- LOL: Trump Thanks Democrats for Shutting Down the Government on His One Year Presidential Anniversary
- Oakland Mayor Vows to Go to Jail to Protect Sanctuary City
- Watch: Two Chicks are Boarding a Sailboat to Fight Poaching, Totally Bad*ss
- Hijab-Wearing Woman Becomes New Hair Model for L’Oreal. We Aren’t Joking. [Watch]
- Tragic: Young Boy Attempting to Save Paralyzed Father from Fire Dies
- Report: DHS to File Criminal Charges Against Sanctuary City Politicians
- Pope Francis Claims Migrants’ Rights Overrule Importance of National Security
- Watch: Security Footage Captures Dramatic Shoot-Out Between Cops and Armed Robbers
- New Details: Thirteen Children Living in ‘House of Horrors’ Were Only Allowed to Shower Twice a Year, Among Other Cruel Treatment
- REVEALED: Secret Tape of Woman Being Bribed to Accuse Trump of Sexual Harassment
- College Pays Professors Huge Settlement After ‘Ban of White People’ on Campus Threatened Their Lives [Video]
- ALERT: House Voted on Impeachment of Trump, Results Were Staggering
- House Passes “Concealed Carry Reciprocity” Bill
- Psychologist Answers Journalist’s Question ‘Why should your right to freedom of speech trump a trans person’s right not to be offended?’ — Leaves Her Speechless [Watch]
- Newsweek: ‘Hillary Clinton could still become president if Russia probe finds conspiracy evidence’
- PRINCE CLAIMS: Saudi Arabia Has FUNDED Hillary Clinton Campaign from Beginning