A high-speed getaway attempt and a reach for the waistband are said to have prompted police SWAT team members to open fire on a group of leaders of the Oregon armed occupiers.
A law enforcement official described the dramatic showdown that occurred Tuesday night on a desolate stretch of U.S. 395, some distance away from the federal wildlife refuge where the group took over federal buildings nearly a month ago.
FBI and Oregon State Police at a command center in Burns were monitoring the group when they departed the refuge to attend a town hall meeting with local residents in the town of John Day.
For days, they watched as members of the group came and went freely from the refuge. Some went home on weekends. Ammon Bundy, the group’s leader, visited family near Boise, Idaho.
“They got quite comfortable coming and going. This was a ‘standoff-lite,'” said one official who was monitoring the events as they went down.
Read more: CNN
- Trump’s Sexual Harassment Accusers Sit Down With Megyn Kelly
- REVEALED: Secret Tape of Woman Being Bribed to Accuse Trump of Sexual Harassment
- GROSS: Michelle Tells Crowd She’s A Sex Symbol — And It Blows Up In Her Face
- WATCH: Kate Steinle Memorial Ruined by Violent Antifa Protesters
- ALLAH ADIOS! Muslim Migrants FINALLY Get Deported from US Under Trump Admin
- ‘Definitely Terrorism’: NYC Suicide Bomber Captured Alive [VIDEO]
- REPORT: ‘Nasty Woman’ Throws Her Used TAMPON at a Police Officer
- GROSS: He/She Artist Collects 200 Gallons of Urine to Protest Trump — Demonstrates How [VIDEO]
- NYC Terrorist Speaks: Christmas Decorations Inspired Him to Attack
- Shady Lady Elizabeth Warren ‘Forgets’ to Disclose $1.3MIL Line of Credit Given to Her by…
- Teen Who Attempted Suicide Wins MILLIONS in Lawsuit Against Police Who Saved Him
- WATCH: Gang of Thugs Prove Why Every Single Woman Needs a Gun at Home
- Gun Yoga, Is It a Real Thing? [WATCH]
- Democrats ‘IMPEACHMENT Clock’ on Trump, Will They Get It?
- Columbus Day Now has a New Racially Acceptable Name in Los Angeles, Explorer to be Erased from History…
- Madonna Posts ‘Vagina Tattoo’ for Women’s March to Protest Trump…
- Pentagon Announces Admission of Transgender Applicants for the Military Starting in 2018
- BREAKING: Eye Witness to Trump Groping Accuser, ‘She Was the One Being Flirtatious’