Oh, good. A Department of Justice-proposed rule change that would make it way easier for FBI agents to obtain warrants to hack a computer from basically anywhere was just approved by a US Court committee.
Which is to say, we’re one step closer to having our digital privacy rights eviscerated in the name of federal investigations.
In the old world, federal search warrants are typically only valid within the issuing judge’s jurisdiction. Law enforcement officials needs to demonstrate probable cause, find the right jurisdiction to petition for a warrant, and notify the person they’re planning on searching. (That last bit is a cornerstone of our Fourth Amendment privacy rights.)
In rare cases, the Feds have gotten permission to legally conduct remote computer searches, outside of the issuing judge’s jurisdiction. To make it easier for the FBI to conduct these sorts of remote hacks and track down criminals who use anonymizing software, the DoJ would now like to expand that power.
Read more: Gizmodo
- Austin Bomber Dead — Blows Himself Up
- REPORT: Facebook’s Algorithm Change Boosting Liberals, Silencing Conservatives
- PETA Bounty: Alleged Frenchman Kicks Squirrel into Grand Canyon, PETA Places $16K Bounty on His Head
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- Steven Seagal Accused of Sexual Assault
- Barbra Streisand: I’m No #MeToo Victim, I Was Never Sexually Harassed
- HOUSE REPORT: War on ISIS is NOT Going Well, Government LIED so Obama Would Look Good
- State County to Assign Armed Guards to Every Public School
- NOT SO SHOCKING: The Always Angry Actress, Kristen Stewart, Turns Lesbian and Mom Approves
- Muslim Chick Urges to ‘Stand Together’ While Wearing Burka with Pistol, Grenade, Blade, Machine Gun That Spelled Out…
- Second Amendment Group Has Surge of Membership at 1200% for 18-20 Year-Olds
- WATCH: Idiot Writer Claims Americans Have NEVER Used Guns To Protect…
- Megyn Kelly Off the Air After Attacking Jane Fonda
- Report: Shooting at Maryland School — Armed Resource Officer Does His Job and Saves Dozens
- Officer Mohamed Noor Refuses to Cooperate With Investigators After Shooting Dead Yoga Teacher
- NO LOVE FOR TRUMP: Glenn Beck Calls Trump’s Wife a Lesbian Porn Star in Facebook Rant
- The Two Missing Minutes in Case Where Officer Mohamed Noor Shot the Yoga Teacher
- Savage: Dude Explains Feminism in 2017, ‘You’re a Man. Everything a Man Does is…’ [Video]