One of the two police officers shot overnight in Ferguson, Missouri, has a bullet lodged in his head, and both are lucky to have survived, a police official said on Thursday.
“We could have buried two police officers next week over this,” Chief Jon Belmar of the St. Louis County police told reporters.
He said that both officers were shot from about 125 yards away. Detectives are working on leads, but no one is in custody, he said. He said that the number of shooters was not clear.
The shots were fired outside police headquarters just after midnight local time, toward the end of a rally that followed the resignation of the Ferguson police chief.
Belmar said that three or four shots had been fired. The officers were standing together, in what Belmar described as a line of 20 to 25 officers.
“This is really an ambush, is what it is,” he said.
An officer from the St. Louis suburb of Webster Groves, 32 and a seven-year veteran, was shot in the face. The bullet entered under his right eye and lodged behind his ear, Belmar said.
Read more: NBC News
- Austin Bomber Dead — Blows Himself Up
- REPORT: Facebook’s Algorithm Change Boosting Liberals, Silencing Conservatives
- State County to Assign Armed Guards to Every Public School
- PETA Bounty: Alleged Frenchman Kicks Squirrel into Grand Canyon, PETA Places $16K Bounty on His Head
- Report: Shooting at Maryland School — Armed Resource Officer Does His Job and Saves Dozens
- NOT SO SHOCKING: The Always Angry Actress, Kristen Stewart, Turns Lesbian and Mom Approves
- LIFE COACH JAXI WEST: Tweets the Most AWFUL Comment About Texas Deputy
- Second Amendment Group Has Surge of Membership at 1200% for 18-20 Year-Olds
- Photo Gallery
- WATCH: Idiot Writer Claims Americans Have NEVER Used Guns To Protect…
- Megyn Kelly Off the Air After Attacking Jane Fonda
- Steven Seagal Accused of Sexual Assault
- Barbra Streisand: I’m No #MeToo Victim, I Was Never Sexually Harassed
- HOUSE REPORT: War on ISIS is NOT Going Well, Government LIED so Obama Would Look Good
- Officer Mohamed Noor Refuses to Cooperate With Investigators After Shooting Dead Yoga Teacher
- The Two Missing Minutes in Case Where Officer Mohamed Noor Shot the Yoga Teacher
- Colorado Passes New Conceal Carry Bill That Will Have Gun-Grabbers Freaking
- BARBARIC: Turkish Security Forces Sexually Tortured Female Kurdish Militant, Who was Fighting ISIS, Before Killing Her